The IMPORTANCE of the past....

ukuleleCraig

Reaction score
...now that ive got all your attentions.

Recently i made a simple breakthrough in my learning curve (thanks Chuck) it was simple, but i didnt realise at the time the ease and importance.
Past threads/posts!!

I will tell you - ive learnt so much, been so engrossed and also have laughed and chuckled my little Yorkshire socks off!

Eg - i quote from 2012 a post from the creator of the 'Bolt on necks are for "Girly Luthiers"'

Earlier today in the workshop.. I had another look at this reject soprano..It's neck angle way out about 4mm up at the nut end ..but the neck was ok it was the body that was out...After some studying I decided that the soundboard was the main problem, it was pulling the neck block inwards and it was dished as well most likely caused by the pulling action.....and I decided that it would be best to make another bird box or burn it ...Then I heard someone singing ???.. it was Cliff Edwards singing the theme tune to Disney's Pinocchio"...I know i'm talking a load of bollocks but "Jiminy Cricket" (My conscience) was sitting on my shoulder and talking in my ear

...and he said "Come on Ken this is not like you, you don't normaly give up that easily"..."You can fix this one" Alan would have fixed it...Chuck would have fixed it...Rick would have got one of his lads to fix it...Pete would have done it right in the first place....Ok! Ok! Ok! I get the message I said....So I boldly took up my hot scraper and deftly removed the uke top and binned it.....Then I set about making a new top... It only took about 4 hours work and I'd made a new top, Fitted braces and a bridge plate and glued it back on the uke... and now the neck fits spot on... and nobody will ever know about the issues i had with it...unless "you lot" spill the beans.
Pic's of the completed uke to follow shortly, after French Polish is re-applied.

If i didnt know better im sure your blood and humour is of a Sheffield Yorkshire man ;)

On a serious note though - The past threads are a fantastic resource. I also like the advanced search function of finding your favourite Luthiers and their well seasoned (air dried) comments/advice. They dont always agree with each other - which is always good in a debate - this is leads to fantastic reading and a great path to improving ones skills, approaches and philosophies.
Thanks for the past, present, and future guys! You know who you are...

...now that ive got all your attentions.

Recently i made a simple breakthrough in my learning curve (thanks Chuck) it was simple, but i didnt realise at the time the ease and importance.
Past threads/posts!!

I will tell you - ive learnt so much, been so engrossed and also have laughed and chuckled my little Yorkshire socks off!

Eg - i quote from 2012 a post from the creator of the 'Bolt on necks are for "Girly Luthiers"'

Earlier today in the workshop.. I had another look at this reject soprano..It's neck angle way out about 4mm up at the nut end ..but the neck was ok it was the body that was out...After some studying I decided that the soundboard was the main problem, it was pulling the neck block inwards and it was dished as well most likely caused by the pulling action.....and I decided that it would be best to make another bird box or burn it ...Then I heard someone singing ???.. it was Cliff Edwards singing the theme tune to Disney's Pinocchio"...I know i'm talking a load of bollocks but "Jiminy Cricket" (My conscience) was sitting on my shoulder and talking in my ear

...and he said "Come on Ken this is not like you, you don't normaly give up that easily"..."You can fix this one" Alan would have fixed it...Chuck would have fixed it...Rick would have got one of his lads to fix it...Pete would have done it right in the first place....Ok! Ok! Ok! I get the message I said....So I boldly took up my hot scraper and deftly removed the uke top and binned it.....Then I set about making a new top... It only took about 4 hours work and I'd made a new top, Fitted braces and a bridge plate and glued it back on the uke... and now the neck fits spot on... and nobody will ever know about the issues i had with it...unless "you lot" spill the beans.
Pic's of the completed uke to follow shortly, after French Polish is re-applied.

If i didnt know better im sure your blood and humour is of a Sheffield Yorkshire man ;)

On a serious note though - The past threads are a fantastic resource. I also like the advanced search function of finding your favourite Luthiers and their well seasoned (air dried) comments/advice. They dont always agree with each other - which is always good in a debate - this is leads to fantastic reading and a great path to improving ones skills, approaches and philosophies.
Thanks for the past, present, and future guys! You know who you are...
Guilty :eek:..Born at City General 1939..Went to school at Shiregreen Sec Mod...Taught myself woodcraft in Wooly Woods.

If the search function here could be worn out, I would be close to buying a new one. Every time I get frustrated with a process and wonder how do successful folks do that, I begin to search here and other builders forums for answers. Sometimes the answer is be patient and stay with it. Other times it is you are going about wrong. I tell myself to keep trying to I get it right. ((See my signature quote)

The archived threads here represent a great body of knowledge indeed. The search feature could be better, though, so every so often I like to post this link to a customized Google search - it utilizes a powerful search engine, and confines the search to this forum:

https://www.google.co.uk/cse/m?cx=006086160372685481724:y43bmh-bwgc&cref=&theme=ESPRESSO

I can't recall where I got this link... Must have been a mod or other technically savvy member. I recommend saving it as a favorite or pinning it to your browsers tool bar.

Top Bottom