Not sure what to get next

Cohumulone

Reaction score
Well, after playing my soprano banjo-uke for a few weeks, I know for sure I want a more "guitar-shaped" one. I was convinced I wanted a concert size until today.

I went to guitar center (no, I do not intend to buy there. I want to buy where it will be setup properly) and played on some concerts and for giggles, tried a couple tenors. Man... I'm tempted.

I went in the nicer sound rooms with several of both sizes and I just don't know what to do. The tenor mentally just seems to big for a uke to me. I know better objectively, but I don't know.

Any advantages or disadvantages to either, simply base don size?

All depends on what feels right to you. After playing guitar for almost 50 years, I bought a ukulele 6 months ago not knowing about sizes, it was a soprano. Very soon I realized it was too small for me, so I learned about sizes and chose tenor. Much more confortable. Being firmly in in the grip of UAS (ukulele aquisition syndrome), I now have 6, with 2 more on the way. (Yep, I'm an odd duck when it comes ukes.)

I'd go against the idea of "more guitar-like" - in that I think the best uke sound- no matter what the size- comes when the body more resembles a "bell-shape"- I call it, with a relatively deep body, as oppossed to a guitar shape, which is more of a flat body-

the bell shaped bodies, well- RING better with resonance, irregarless of the wood, which is another but separate factor-

Of course the same principal applies to guitar bodies as well, and a better sound comes from a rounded deep body- and the trend in manufaturing reflects that a bit- if you look at really older guitars- they usually had a thinner body- and thinner sound-

and you can still see it in smaller scale guitars that sometimes deviate from a guiatr shape disproportionately by flattening the body-

and the sound invariably suffers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom