NUD! Compass Rose edition

Flaky

Reaction score
So, earlier today I received notice from FedEx that I had a package awaiting pickup from Hawaii Music Supply (still amazes me how fast a package can travel from Hawaii to the east coast). I went directly to the FedEx package location because I didn't want it to sit around in a truck all day and to spare myself from obsessively peeking out the window 200 times today (Did I hear the truck? That sounds like a delivery truck! Dang.)

Got the package home and unboxed my prize. Cherry back and sides with Sitka Spruce top. All my pics turned out blurry, so I included a few snaps from HMS' original listing.

compass_rose_spruce_cherry.jpg

compass_rose_spruce_cherry-2.jpg

compass_rose_spruce_cherry-4.jpg

Needless to say it looks gorgeous in person and sounds sweet. The guys at HMS were very helpful throughout the process and I heartily recommend them for any of your future uke needs.

I am thinking about changing out the strings. Probably a low G. I have Worth clears on my solid mahogany Pono, and they sound great. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would pair well with the cherry/spruce top CR? I'm looking to tone down the brightness a bit. Bring in more mid-tone.

Attachments

• compass_rose_spruce_cherry.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 17
I'd stick with what Rick Turner put on the instrument. He's unquestionably one of the foremost authorities. Please trust his judgement for a few moths at least. Maybe try different strings until you need new strings.

That is great curl on that cherry.

oooh, I drooled over that when it was on the HMS site. Great uke for a great price!

I'd stick with what Rick Turner put on the instrument. He's unquestionably one of the foremost authorities. Please trust his judgement for a few moths at least. Maybe try different strings until you need new strings.

His personal set isn't the same strings he puts on the spec ukes

I like Oasis bright low g strings on my Cherry CR. Congrats!

Wow, what a beauty! Congrats, you are so lucky!

Congratulations. The flame/curl in the cherry is beautiful.

I like the Southcoast smooth wound low-G on my CR. Too bad Southcoast only sells them in them in a pricey ($19) set.:(

Congratulations on your new CR! I really enjoy the south coast ML-SW set.

Re strings. There was a thread not that long ago from someone who was complaining that his Compass Rose had poor intonation. Turns out he had restrung the instrument and the new strings had different characteristics from the old strings. Rick sorted it out under warranty but be aware that when a builder fine tunes the intonation of ANY instrument that the fine tuned intonation is for the chosen strings ONLY.

I suggest you keep the standard strings on for a while and talk to Rick later if you want to change them.

Anthony

I appreciate everyone's congratulations and advice on strings. I will be experimenting down the road. I might even send the man himself a note to ask what he recommends for the instruments he makes.

So, earlier today I received notice from FedEx that I had a package awaiting pickup from Hawaii Music Supply (still amazes me how fast a package can travel from Hawaii to the east coast). I went directly to the FedEx package location because I didn't want it to sit around in a truck all day and to spare myself from obsessively peeking out the window 200 times today (Did I hear the truck? That sounds like a delivery truck! Dang.)

Got the package home and unboxed my prize. Cherry back and sides with Sitka Spruce top. All my pics turned out blurry, so I included a few snaps from HMS' original listing.

compass_rose_spruce_cherry-2.jpg

compass_rose_spruce_cherry-4.jpg

Needless to say it looks gorgeous in person and sounds sweet. The guys at HMS were very helpful throughout the process and I heartily recommend them for any of your future uke needs.

I am thinking about changing out the strings. Probably a low G. I have Worth clears on my solid mahogany Pono, and they sound great. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would pair well with the cherry/spruce top CR? I'm looking to tone down the brightness a bit. Bring in more mid-tone.

I had Rick put on a set of Southcoast Strings when I got mine. Also cherry back and sides but Adirondack Spruce top. It's my avatar.

I had Rick put on a set of Southcoast Strings when I got mine. Also cherry back and sides but Adirondack Spruce top. It's my avatar.

I saw pictures of your uke a few weeks ago. That black stained top is just awesome.

Wow, really nice!

Top Bottom