Sad NUD :(

frukmana

Reaction score
Hi guys I just wanna share.

About 3 weeks ago I ordered a tenor ukulele from my local
luthier for my birthday present. And finally it arrived today.
But.....
When I open the box I found this awful crack right above the bridge on the bass side. It looks like it was pressed by another things on the delivery so it cracked.

I can see the gap clearly and its not just a hairline crack.
:( :( :(

Is it ok to keep it like that ? Or should I get it repair ?

I'm worry that if I tune it (ADF#B) the crack will get worse. Should I worry about that ?

I cant post the photo cause I dont know how. I'll try to post it tommorow.

:(

If it was shipped insured I'd get my money back.

My other thought is that if the luthier packed it, he/she should be responsible for damages and take it back.

paul

Sorry to hear that.

No, do not keep a uke damaged in shipping.
Contact the luthier and tell him what happened. I'm sure the luthier will either repair or replace.
I've had a couple ukes arrive that way. The luthier/seller/insured shipper took care of it.

Curious, was it shipped in a case? I always recommend shipping ukes in a case. Double boxing with lots of packing seems to work well too.

PS
Happy Birthday

Last edited:
You should not have to keep this instrument. If the luthier wants to repair it, and that's ok with you, you should get a substantial partial refund of the price you paid. For you to be "whole" in this matter, you should end up with the perfect, new ukulele you paid for, at no additional expense to you.

I would certainly agree with those above. Until you have accepted the ukulele it is the responsibility of the seller/shipper to make sure it gets to your hands and you are satisfied. Wether that is fixed and price reduced or replaced. Let your luthier know what happened. Be ready to supply pictures.

I'm sure the luthier will fix it on return, it just means you'll have to wait a little longer to play it.

I am thinking "luthier" may have a slightly different meaning to you than it does to most of us. If you ordered it and got it three weeks later that sounds more like a shop order of a factory uke - perhaps with a setup by the shop.

In any case, though, you absolutely shouldn't accept a cracked ukulele any more than you would accept any other damaged product.

John

Thanks a lot guys for the response. Really appreciate it.
I'm gonna talk to him more about it.

Doc_J : It was packed with a box and a wood packing. And thanks!

John : Yes, I think you're right. But he can customize it to my spec, like wood choices, binding, rossette width of neck and another accesories, sorry if I'm mistaken.

Again thanks a lot for your opinion. Good day y'all.

Regards,
Ferry

Top Bottom