Just got a new guitar

pakiboy949

Reaction score
My friend just lent me a guitar i can use :D unfortunately at the moment, it's missing the g-string :eek: buuut anybody got any tips for beginners? I'm transitioning from the uke (being a pretty decent player) to the guitar with no guitar experience.

My friend just lent me a guitar i can use :D unfortunately at the moment, it's missing the g-string :eek: buuut anybody got any tips for beginners? I'm transitioning from the uke (being a pretty decent player) to the guitar with no guitar experience.

cut off the top two strings? jus kiddin haha sorry :eek: sumtimes when i play a guitar i play ukulele structured chords and some of them kinda sound ok, but just not touching the top bass strings.

Cool. I'm a beginner myself so I'm not quite qualified to give you any tips. Assuming that play a guitar is anything like playing a ukulele, you shouldn't have to many problems learning the guitar. Of course I'm only assuming though.

Two questions for you:
  • What type of guitar is it? (nylon-string acoustic, Steel-string acoustic, Electric)
  • What kind of music do you want to play?

you will find that the chord structures are a little more stringent, since you have the extra two strings to worry about.

on the uke you have several chord structures:
open G
open A
open C
open D
open F
all of which can be played in position 1 (first four frets) of the uke.
and then youve also got:
open F#m
open Gm
open Am7
open Am
open Dm
open C7 and Cmaj7
these, too, are all in position 1. (i may have missed some) and both of these chord groups can be moved up and down the fret board using barres to accomodate chords for tone and easy chord transition.

the guitar, on the other hand has two major chord families:
open A and open E
the other open chords that can be played in position 1 cant be easily run up the fret board just using a barre.
but for the A and E chord patterns, the morphology in finger positioning is the same as you barre the chord moving it up the fretboard. ex: a Bm is played the same way an Am is played, with just a barre right behind it. same with the E chord patterns.

so depending on how good you undertand the uke, the guitar can actually be pretty easy to pick up. just gotta get used to holding down 6 strings instead of 4.

Guitars will also do a number on your fingers compared to the ukulele. If you have a classical, then it's basically almost the same type of strings as the uke (they're nylon on the classical, usually). Much softer on the fingers than a steel string acoustic. But if thats what you have, then I recommend using elixers. They have an excellent sound and they're not as harsh on the fingers, but depending on your guitars tension they may break often. Be prepared for peeling fingers and callouses! :D

My G string on my guitar breaks ALL the time. Which is unfortunate, cuz thats a pretty important string. :p

callouses are a normal part of guitar playing. building them will be an asset. it is also possible to get extra light tension strings. one thing ive done in the past, is to use electric guitar strings. the G string is not wound and the tension is very low. the downfall to this is the guitar may sound twangy because of how loose they are. but if you find the right set, it will be much easier on your fingertips.

well i have a classic guitar, as for understanding the ukulele, i understand it somewhat. I wouldn't say I know everything about the uke, but I'm somewhat skilled in it and know a decent amount of information.

Oh yea and the strings on the guitar wouldn't bother me, cuz my ukulele started with metal strings and it didn't feel real nice on my fingers.

I would suggest learning the guitar much like a beginner learns the ukulele:

-Start out learning all the basic chords and keep a chord chart nearby.
-Practice changing from chord to chord and making the transitions smooth.
-Keep playing to build up strength in your hand and calluses on your fingertips.
-Play along with your favorite songs.

(but first get new strings)

I would suggest learning the guitar much like a beginner learns the ukulele:

-Start out learning all the basic chords and keep a chord chart nearby.
-Practice changing from chord to chord and making the transitions smooth.
-Keep playing to build up strength in your hand and calluses on your fingertips.
-Play along with your favorite songs.

(but first get new strings)
I agree with davoomac; do as he says and you should do alright.

Top Bottom