Bassist need help, new to the uke

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
I am a long time bass player who is looking at getting into ukulele's. Most guitar centers don't carry a variety of ukulele', and the one I am looking at (kala k-a or is-15) is not one of them. Is this a advisable starter Uke, I don't want a toy...lol. I am a little concerned about having it shipped in winter. I know enough to wait a day or two before opening and playing. Anyone have problems with having one delivered in winter.

Hi Mike, glad you joined us. Much of what you need to know is contained in the link at the top of this forum. There was also a recent post about getting a uke shipped in Winter (not an issue for all laminate ukes usually). At least you can play ukes of different sizes at Guitar Center to be sure which size feels most comfortable to you, then you can order from a reputable dealer that does good setups so that the uke will sound as good as it's going to from such dealers as MIMS, Uke Republic, Mainland, Hawaiimusicsupply, etc.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?69058-Info-Thread-Entry-Level-Ukuleles

I had my all solid uke delivered in the winter, but I was right at the door when the FedEx guy dropped it off. So yeah, just make sure you're home or have them hold it at the FedEx place so you can go pick it up when you can. And for the Kala, I don't know much about it, but I'd think it would be fine as a starter uke as long as it's set up.

Thanks for the info, I will read the threads. I do all my own fret leveling and cut my own nuts (I prefer bone on my basses and acoustic guitar). I just wanted mostly to know about winter shipping. I know you get what you pay for as my main bass for years was a several thousand dollar Warwick bass (back to fender now). Even my American fenders needed some fret work to get optimum action height. I want a good starter before my next Uke purchase, which will be a solid body tenor perhaps. I have read a lot about" everyone should have at least one saprano, as they are the traditional sound of the ukulele". I hate guitar center and avoid them like the plague. Most of there employee's treat you like a dollar sign, too bad as they didn't use to be that way.

Top Bottom