teaching help please

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been asked to teach 4 one hour sessions at our local council of the arts. This class will have 6-8 kids ages 9-12. I have seen the threads about 2 chord songs but my question is what songs do you think are best for that age group? My "babies" are 30+ :) . What else do you think are good to teach beginners? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, rem

Just PM'd you. Did I forget to send you the info you requested a little while ago? If I didn't, I'm so sorry. I'll get that right out to you

Phil

It pains me to say it but your best bet is probably to simplify some Justin Bieber type stuff down to three chords (simplify, hah, you might have to add a chord or two to get it up to 3 chords) - transpose it to C for easy playing - and you'll have their attention.

In 4 one-hour sessions with 6 to 8 kids you're barely going to have time to scratch the surface so just concentrate on getting them hooked - with any luck their taste in music will improve with age and maturity and they can learn real music later. :)

John

I definitely disagree with associating the instrument with Justin Bieber. There are enough morally upright role models to offer to young people as an alternative to what makes the news today. Tell them about Jake beginning when he was 4, and doesn't remember not ever playing the ukulele. About IZ and his struggle with his weight and diabetes. Talk about where the guys were from who created the instrument--where they were from---why they were in Hawaii--- Enrich their lives with some historical background about the instrument and that it is not just a kid's toy. I would NOT cheapen it with a kazoo. Establish its credibility as a genuine instrument. Talk about the types of woods that are local to your area that would make good instruments. Show them different shapes of ukuleles and ask them which one catches their eye. Show them all of the different places sound holes are placed. Ask what they know about what makes sound. Show them a clip on and a by the side tuner- discuss vibration and background noise.

9 to 12 year olds are curious and eager to learn. Enrich their knowledge and answer their questions that YOU will create by trying to find out what interests them about it beyond just singing and strumming. Talk about what it takes to pinch someone. The proper placement of the thumb. US ARMY doctrine is Train to Train. Our daughter started piano lessons at a local university when she was 10. Her teacher told her that he would teach her how to play so that she would not hurt herself. She has grown up sharing what she has learned. Kids with ukuleles interact with other kids and put them into their hands. Teach proper techniques so when they teach someone else they know WHY they do as they do. Start them off with the simple alphabet song with only the C chord. Do the whole thing with one chord. Ask them what THEY think of it. Ask them if they think they could learn a chord that needs two fingers. Do it again with two chords. Ask 'em again if they are okay with it. They will tell you there are places where neither the one finger or the two finger chord sound good. Ask if they can do one with three fingers Put it together and cue them when to change. Explain how most songs are only three chords. Since they only know three, when you need to make a change, since they only know two chords, they have a 50/50 chance to get it right---or wrong---and if it's wrong, it's the other one. Smile a lot!!

Yes, I was an elementary teacher. I was a special education teacher by choice. It was with children who were not successful in a regular class for 16 of the 19 years I taught. Just learning chords on a ukulele is about as interesting as just learning dates in a history class.. Help them discover how much easier it is to hold a uke when you stand up and have a strap. Infect them with your passion for the instrument. Share. Infect them. ( I have yet to appreciate poi, , but a coconut
or pineapple can help create another avenue of connection)

When people change how they think , then they can change how they act. Do not accept "I can't" as an answer. Your attitude about what you are going to do should lead by example. Begin practice saying "I have YET to be able to ____and fill in the blank____. Accept only that reply to skills yet to be learned. None of us are tied to the past--not even the present, and it yet remains to be seen what we can accomplish when we believe we can at some point in the future. Since I am no longer paid to teach, I volunteer at elementary and middle schools to teach about the ukulele.

Last edited:
@Crafted Cow - I agree with you, you'll notice I said Justin Bieber type stuff - i.e. current "bubble gum" music that tweens will relate to. Justin Bieber was just the only "artist" popular with tweens that I could think of - precisely because he's been in the news a lot and I don't listen to that crap. LOL

John

I'm a high school teacher and I just polled my students to see what might be big with their younger siblings...
Cody Simpson
1 direction
Frozen soundtrack songs
katy perry
not sure if that helps at all

I can tell you that 4 one-hour sessions will fly by. Much time will have to be devoted to holding the uke, hand positions, strumming, and getting the ukes all tuned up at the beginning of each session. I know 6-8 doesn't sound like a lot, but with so much to do in such a short time, I'd get at least one helper if you haven't already. You can make locating those songs a homework assignment at the first class. Have them do a Google search for "ukulele chords and lyrics for__________________" and have them enter their favorite songs. Have them choose one with just 1-3 chords. You don't even have to get
around to playing all of them. 4 weeks is gone in a flash. Also have them search youtube for "ukulele_______________" and have them enter how to hold, form chords, strum, etc. etc. I sent you a link to a site that has all those videos also if you just want to give them that link..

Here are some Disney Music uke chords and lyrics: http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/Disney-uke-tabs.html Good luck finding songs with 2 or 3 chords here.

On E chords, some content is free, some is premium. They rate each song with easy, medium, difficult: http://www.e-chords.com/ukulele
At least one 1 Direction song CFG (best song ever - no sure it's within their age group, most of their other songs have too many chords for them)

Last edited:
I'm a former elementary music teacher. Give them something to take home (handouts) and keep. One thing I like to do is group songs by chords, so do two or three songs that use mainly the same three chords. Learn a new chord and move on. There are a lot of handouts online about the different parts of the ukulele. A little bit of uke history. Lots of playing and singing. Kids will enjoy a variety if you want to do a folk song, something more modern. Kids are smart. I have a nine year old and a six year old at home. They can't stand Justin Beiber. They will sing along or hum along with whatever I am playing. One cool song, by the Monkees, is I'm a Believer, and was used in a Shrek movie. My kids love that one. The will sing Adele, Johnny Cash, the Cure, REM, U2, and show tunes right along with Amazing Grace. You Are My Sunshine is also a big hit. Kids are usually open minded and are willing to try new things, so no need to sell them short.

Use only the A7 chord:

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime,
His sister had another one she paid it for the lime.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank 'em bot' up
She put the lime in the coconut, she drank 'em bot' up.
She put the lime in the coconut, she call the doctor, woke 'I'm up,

Said "doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
Now lemme get this straight,

You put the lime in the coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,
You put the lime in the coconut, you drank 'em bot' up,
You put the lime in the coconut, you drank 'em bot'up,
You put the lime in the coconut, you call your doctor, woke 'I'm up,

Said " Doctor, ain't there nothing' I can take?"
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache,"

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' togedther
Put the lime in the coconut and you'll feel better,
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning."

Woo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo.

His sister had another one she paid it for a lime.
She put the lime in the coconut and called the doctor, woke 'I'm up.

And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?'
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache."
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take?"
I said, "Doctor, now lemme get this straight,

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot'up,
Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut. You're such a silly woman.

Put a lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' together
Put the lime in the coconut, then you'll feel better.
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both down,
Put the lime in your coconut, and call me in the morning,

Woo--ain't there nothin' you can take?
I say, woo--to relieve your belly ache,
You say, well woo--ain't there nothin' I can take?
I say woo--woo, to relieve your belly ache,
You say yow--ain't there nothin' I can take,

I say wow--to relieve this belly ache,
I said "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take,"
I said, "Doctor you're such a silly woman.

Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together,
Put the lime in the coconut, and you'll feel better,
Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em bot' up,
Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning.

Yes, you call me in the morning, You call me in the morning,
I'll tell you what to do if you call me in the morning.
I'll tell you what to do and if you call me in the morning
I'll tell you what to do

@ricDoug - gee...thanks...now that's going to be stuck in my head all night... LOL

John

Use only the A7 chord:

His sister had another one she paid it for the lime.

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank 'em bot' up.
She put the lime in the coconut, she call the doctor, woke 'I'm up,

Lol.. My Uncle was an Ear Nose and Throat Surgeon and had that song on his answering machine at his office, back when it was popular...

.... sorry back to the Kids

that was outstandinding information,,thank you
I definitely disagree with associating the instrument with Justin Bieber. There are enough morally upright role models to offer to young people as an alternative to what makes the news today. Tell them about Jake beginning when he was 4, and doesn't remember not ever playing the ukulele. About IZ and his struggle with his weight and diabetes. Talk about where the guys were from who created the instrument--where they were from---why they were in Hawaii--- Enrich their lives with some historical background about the instrument and that it is not just a kid's toy. I would NOT cheapen it with a kazoo. Establish its credibility as a genuine instrument. Talk about the types of woods that are local to your area that would make good instruments. Show them different shapes of ukuleles and ask them which one catches their eye. Show them all of the different places sound holes are placed. Ask what they know about what makes sound. Show them a clip on and a by the side tuner- discuss vibration and background noise.

9 to 12 year olds are curious and eager to learn. Enrich their knowledge and answer their questions that YOU will create by trying to find out what interests them about it beyond just singing and strumming. Talk about what it takes to pinch someone. The proper placement of the thumb. US ARMY doctrine is Train to Train. Our daughter started piano lessons at a local university when she was 10. Her teacher told her that he would teach her how to play so that she would not hurt herself. She has grown up sharing what she has learned. Kids with ukuleles interact with other kids and put them into their hands. Teach proper techniques so when they teach someone else they know WHY they do as they do. Start them off with the simple alphabet song with only the C chord. Do the whole thing with one chord. Ask them what THEY think of it. Ask them if they think they could learn a chord that needs two fingers. Do it again with two chords. Ask 'em again if they are okay with it. They will tell you there are places where neither the one finger or the two finger chord sound good. Ask if they can do one with three fingers Put it together and cue them when to change. Explain how most songs are only three chords. Since they only know three, when you need to make a change, since they only know two chords, they have a 50/50 chance to get it right---or wrong---and if it's wrong, it's the other one. Smile a lot!!

Yes, I was an elementary teacher. I was a special education teacher by choice. It was with children who were not successful in a regular class for 16 of the 19 years I taught. Just learning chords on a ukulele is about as interesting as just learning dates in a history class.. Help them discover how much easier it is to hold a uke when you stand up and have a strap. Infect them with your passion for the instrument. Share. Infect them. ( I have yet to appreciate poi, , but a coconut
or pineapple can help create another avenue of connection)

When people change how they think , then they can change how they act. Do not accept "I can't" as an answer. Your attitude about what you are going to do should lead by example. Begin practice saying "I have YET to be able to ____and fill in the blank____. Accept only that reply to skills yet to be learned. None of us are tied to the past--not even the present, and it yet remains to be seen what we can accomplish when we believe we can at some point in the future. Since I am no longer paid to teach, I volunteer at elementary and middle schools to teach about the ukulele.

Top Bottom