My Dolphin

mangorockfish

Reaction score
I have a gold label Kamaka soprano and a red Dolphin with assorted battle scars. The Kamaka is a fine little uke in mint condition, has a find sound, ansd is easy to play. However, I prefer the Dolphin. It is easier for me to play, it has a very nice round mellow sound, stays in tune, and has never been set up properly. I can only imagine how it would sound and play if it were. Call me crazy, but that is how I feel.

I bought one on a lark just due to the many positive reviews. The action is high, the strings are poor but it's playable. I'm changing the strings and I will use it as an inexpensive opportunity to learn about lowering the action on a uke myself. I think then it will be, for it's price, a pretty nice deal. However I'm going to likely then give it to some young learner in need. I want something a little nicer. I do think it's fills a niche that is very important. Many young people today have little money for making music.

mangorockfish, I agree. I have several of various colors scattered around my house, plus one in my office. Some I like more than others, but I don't dislike any of them.

Embrace your inner laminate!

(and Mainlands Rule in this house too, but they are humble and share the roost)

I have a gold label Kamaka soprano and a red Dolphin with assorted battle scars. The Kamaka is a fine little uke in mint condition, has a find sound, ansd is easy to play. However, I prefer the Dolphin. It is easier for me to play, it has a very nice round mellow sound, stays in tune, and has never been set up properly. I can only imagine how it would sound and play if it were. Call me crazy, but that is how I feel.

Top Bottom