Ohana Vita Questions

camperman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I've been offered a new Ohana Vita Rosewood at a clearance price and I'm very tempted but I could do with a few bits of information please.

I understand it has quite a big sound for it's size? How does it compare with a Soprano and Concert size uke? How would owners described the sound. Is there anything you can compare it to?

What strings are people using and why do you prefer them?

Has anyone tried it with a Low G?

Have you found a case (other than the Ohana case) that fits it reasonably well?

Thanks

Big sound, as in loud, but doesn't sound like any other uke I've heard. Vintage maybe? Might be a good description, but you know this is subjective, right? Point is, if you want a traditional sound, this is not the uke for that.

I had one that fit in a Lanikai concert case. Any concert case or bag should work, but there will be extra room.

I had Fremonts on mine and did try it with a low G. That was kind of a jazz sound. I liked it but it doesn't work for everything. To me, the Vita is a niche uke, not an all-round "I play it for everything..." instrument.

It was nice for fingerpicking too.

I know the rosewood is a little "brighter" than the mahogany, which is one of the reasons I'd get a Vita in the first place. There are many quality teardrop shaped gig bags out there that would work fine. With a 12 fret soprano scale, some have argued it's not really a concert size, except perhaps for it's overall length, which I can't find listed. Some teardrop shaped soprano gig bags are rather roomy and may accommodate it.

Last edited:
I haven't owned one but have played a couple and someday if the deal is right one might follow me home. I've played Lonerhino's at UWC a couple of years ago after we put some of my Seaguar fishing leader on it and it was a cannon - blew anything else it's size right off the map.

As someone else has mentioned they are quite loud and they don't sound like anything else. They almost have a "bark" like a good mandolin (they don't sound anything like a mandolin, but they've got that same really big up front attack).

John

they are loud...soprano scale and a larger "concert" size body, it's actually quite comfortable to hold. If you want something different, go for it.

I have one of the Mahogany Vitas, and one of the Rosewood. each has an original Ohana case, and it fits perfectly; I haven't tried a different case.

The Mahogany I won in a contest. I changed the strings for a Worth Clear tenor set, and replaced the tuners with another set Ohana sent me, because the plastic buttons were cracking and falling apart.
Great sound, feel, resonation. I think I'd rather have planetary tuners (Gotoh or Peghead) than the geared, but it is a great instrument regardless. Intonation is off a hair up the neck, but I rarely play a soprano neck past 5th fret, so I an live with it.

The Rosewood Vita has a different sound. Still nice, but the original Aquila Nylgut strings are on it, and should probably be replaced. It also has the geared tuners, but not identical to either the original or replacement set on the other Ohana. I bought this one used from a UU member for a very good price (under $150, including case and shipping), and it was worth every penny.

-Kurt​

I've had my Ohana Vita for three or four years and would never sell it. I agree that it is very comfortable to hold. I've never been comfortable with a soprano but I am with my Vita. Normally I play tenors or concerts or even baritones but for some pieces being able to stretch further is very handy and I have it tuned high g. I have South Coast strings that work well. I use it for picking Mark Nelson's books and Tony Mizen's Lute to Uke. Nice instrument with an Ohana Vita case.

Thanks for all your views and opinions. I've noticed that while the Vita is "Different" and might not be to everyone's taste that people who own them seem to be very pleased with them. I'm glad to hear it's not like a soprano because that's not what I'm looking for.
I'm going to have a look and try this one out today so I'll soon find out if it suits me too.

Look out for bellying. I don't believe there is any bracing parallel with the strings.

Have you actually had one belly? Not arguing, just curious. I've always figured that ukes with the sound holes offset from the center are inherently stronger because of the uninterrupted strip of top between the bridge plate and the neck block. They can probably get by with less bracing, and is probably why they have that really nice "bark."

John

Have you actually had one belly? Not arguing, just curious. I've always figured that ukes with the sound holes offset from the center are inherently stronger because of the uninterrupted strip of top between the bridge plate and the neck block. They can probably get by with less bracing, and is probably why they have that really nice "bark."

John

Yes, my Clearwater Vita (apparently from the same factory) has bellied significantly, but it seems to be stable now.

I've had a mahogany back Vita for a couple of years, and really love the sound. Mine has Martin fluorocarbon strings on it (I think, may be Worths) and like them on it better than the Aquilas it came with. I keep mine in a regular concert semi hard foam case with a rolled up sock under the end of the body so the neck sits right. I don't think I could ever sell mine, it's a keeper. The only way I think it could be improved is if it came with a concert neck/fretboard.
No sign of bellying on mine, it seems very well built and stable.

Mine has Martin fluorocarbon strings on it (I think, may be Worths)

don't think so...I put some Worth clear CM's on my C1K and they are thicker, I think tune with more tension and the sound is mellower and it seems to me more muted? I'm switching back to Martins soon.

Top Bottom