Uke Rant - is the ukulele inherently 'happy'?

bazmaz

Reaction score
Definitely a worthy rant. There's nothing I enjoy playing more on ukulele than songs in minor keys - which, to the Western ear anyway, are supposed to sound "dark" and pretty much the opposite of happy. So I'm a strong believer that the ukulele is so much more than a "happy little instrument," even as I write from supposedly warm and sunny California (where I sit wrapped in a wool cardigan, the heater turned up to high... but I digress!).

(Also... am I the only one who doesn't think "You Are My Sunshine" is a happy song at all? I mean, the lyrics are about being dumped - but now you've left me and love another /you have shattered all my dreams - come on! It always baffles me when people request this as a wedding song...)

(Also... am I the only one who doesn't think "You Are My Sunshine" is a happy song at all? I mean, the lyrics are about being dumped - but now you've left me and love another /you have shattered all my dreams - come on! It always baffles me when people request this as a wedding song...)

One of our members did this in a minor key, with moody lighting, the way it really should be done. I think it was for one of the Seasons of the Ukulele. Yeah...opened some eyes!

There's a guy at UWC every year who plays some really great, very dark, Tom Waits stuff. He's a member here but almost never posts and I can't think of his screen name.

In reentrant tuning ukuleles do have a sort of "bouncy" sound that lends itself well to "happy bubbly" stuff but at the end of the day it's just an instrument and you can play it however you like. In fact, even in reentrant tuning you can do some finger-roll arpeggios and if you use dynamics right you can get a very angry sound like relentless waves pounding rocks into sand...

John

M., Try playing the verse to "You are my Sunshine" in Cm.
Slow the tempo and bit and it is really dark, like the lyrics.
For the verse I use Cm, Fm & G7.
The chorus I use C,F, & G7 and play up tempo.

Definitely a worthy rant. There's nothing I enjoy playing more on ukulele than songs in minor keys - which, to the Western ear anyway, are supposed to sound "dark" and pretty much the opposite of happy. So I'm a strong believer that the ukulele is so much more than a "happy little instrument," even as I write from supposedly warm and sunny California (where I sit wrapped in a wool cardigan, the heater turned up to high... but I digress!).

For anyone still convinced that the uke is a "happy instrument" may I present...

John

Or this one by a much less talented guy.

'Course, this is a linear baritone so maybe that's cheating...

John

For anyone still convinced that the uke is a "happy instrument" may I present...

John

Yeah, well, I know the song is depressing when you hear the words, but if you didn't know it, this instrumental version doesn't sound particularly sad. Minor blues, sure, but this is kind upbeat and, well … I dunno if could say "happy," since music's feel depends a lot on context, but it doesn't sink to the level of a dirge ...

M., Try playing the verse to "You are my Sunshine" in Cm.
Slow the tempo and bit and it is really dark, like the lyrics.
For the verse I use Cm, Fm & G7.
The chorus I use C,F, & G7 and play up tempo.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind the next time someone asks if I'm interested in playing a wedding :)

We often tend to play pretty serious songs; even rather depressing ones. I rarely play happy go lucky songs. The ukulele can give a song some sort of bittersweet touch, but isn't inherently happy. But I do find that most of the time ukulele people are relaxed and friendly folk. I also find that in bass players. Hey! I'm both!

Hi Barry,

That's an excellent article, your 'rant' is spot on. I think maybe the 'happy' part is something that might come as a result from playing or listening to ukulele, as a form of therapy, a catharsis, if you will, and somehow that is incorrectly getting assigned to the instrument's nature, instead of something (happiness) being manifest in the individual who is experiencing the ukulele, as a result of the feelings that this person might have.

While most people that I've encountered that are involved with the ukulele are kind folks, I have in fact encountered some (both online and offline) that are focused upon generating unnecessary friction who seem more interested in the unrest that is a result of a conflict, than having any kind of meaningful conversation.

I tend to avoid those individuals. Like you said, there are some folks that are more than expert trolls, that basically derive their pleasure in a sadistic way by raining on the parades of others, in order to try and compensate for whatever unresolved misery that they have in their own lives. I feel sorry for those folks, but will waste no energy in engagement with them, once I have recognized this intent.

Like you said, the ukulele is a 'just a box with 4 strings' and it in itself has no 'feelings', but maybe when WE play it, WE like it, and WE feel happy, and that's how the 'happy' or sad part comes about. This also holds true even if you play a sad song, that has meaning for you. Maye it helps you to purge the sadness from your soul, and once the immediate sadness is gone, what remains can allow for other feelings, like melancholy, bittersweetness, more sadness, or nay dare I say, happiness. Or just maybe you feel content and neutral.

I have written a few songs now in a minor key, and I love the sound from the ukulele like this. I also like major keys, but the standard I,iV, V or ii Vii, V, chord progressions can get boring to my ear after a while.

(this is sort of a tangent) What kills me is the fact that so many folks outside the ukulele community think that it is either a 'toy instrument' or only know of it from Tiny Tim or Hawaiian Hula music, and they laugh and smirk when I tell them that I play and they want to hear 'Aloha-'e' or 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips' with me singing in falsetto. GET REAL!

I am starting to tire of defending the ukulele as a 'serious instrument' to the collective of (mostly willfully) ignorant naysayers.

-Booli

But the little ones are so ... little ..... and happy looking....... and cute.

I think it suffers the fate of all of the 'small' instruments.

It IS a totally valid musical musical instrument and does deserve to be taken more seriously.

Is there a concerto for ukulele?

I did a spot at a club a few years ago, a woman rushed over to me and said "I didn't know the ukulele could play minor keys!".

FFS.

However I will say that I don't want the ukulele to be taken seriously. As soon as it starts getting serious, it stops being fun. I've been in plenty of bands who refused point blank to do "Ain't She Sweet", "See You In My Dreams" etc. because they were songs people would associate with the ukulele. How sad.

Last edited:
To be fair, do we give full respect to recorders, piccolos and triangles? I don't, so i can't blame others for not taking ukuleles seriously.

...and they laugh and smirk when I tell them that I play and they want to hear 'Aloha-'e' or 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips' with me singing in falsetto. GET REAL!

Actually, Tiptoe Through the Tulips is kind of a neat song minus the falsetto. I've been known to do my blues version of it when people smirk and ask if I can play Tiptoe Through the Tulips... LOL

John

But the little ones are so ... little ..... and happy looking....... and cute.

I think it suffers the fate of all of the 'small' instruments.

It IS a totally valid musical musical instrument and does deserve to be taken more seriously.

Is there a concerto for ukulele?

Colin Tribe has actually arranged the "Rodrigo Guitar Concerto" for ukulele. Very serious stuff! Although it may be a bit of a stretch for the mighty uke!

To be fair, do we give full respect to recorders, piccolos and triangles? I don't, so i can't blame others for not taking ukuleles seriously.

There has been a lot of very serious music written for the recorder and recorder ensembles, especially from the baroque period. And the other two are legitimate members of a full orchestra.
Yes, we adapt stuff to play on uke, but I don't believe there is an historical body of written music for the ukulele.

But really, who gives a rat's bottom what people think of the ukulele.
Love it and play it.
That's what I (try to) do.

And surely there are worse things than being known as a happy instrument even if it's just ain't always true.

Actually, Tiptoe Through the Tulips is kind of a neat song minus the falsetto. I've been known to do my blues version of it when people smirk and ask if I can play Tiptoe Through the Tulips... LOL

John

John, I'm pretty fed up with people (ignorant cusses) asking for Tiptoe, and I don't know it....will you please teach me your blues version?

A worthy discussion. I am a believer in "the happiest instrument in the world" ideology. My reason is simple: every time I look at my ukulele it makes me smile. I don't really know why, it's just something I feel - an inner happiness and joy. And that makes me want to play it and share it with other people. People mostly smile when I take out my uke. Some people laugh and, to be honest, that annoys me. I do not think of the ukulele as a trinket or a bauble. I see it as a serious instrument capable of producing beautiful and profound music. I love minor keys too.

John, I'm pretty fed up with people (ignorant cusses) asking for Tiptoe, and I don't know it....will you please teach me your blues version?

Happy to. Between the rather lengthy contest intro and the song, at somewhere around 1:40, I put up a lead sheet...

John

Top Bottom