Which tuning do you like on this uke, b-flat or b?

• b-flat

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • b

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • both about the same

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • neither move up to c

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I was playing around with different tunings on this uke and wanted to see what UU folks hear and think about it (also it is a snow/ice day here in Atlanta and I have time).

I play b-flat first, then b.

https://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/b-flat-vs-b-tuning

So sorry, posted in the wrong forum. Mods can you move this to "uke talk"? Thanks! As always you guys are the best!

Last edited:
Hodge, I think the B tuning is cleaner and clearer, with better overall balance and crisper top. I voted such.

They both sound great Doc, I'm unable to say I prefer one to the other. I do know that I have been using these lower tunings for a while now on my tenors and enjoy the deeper tones and the playability which is brought about by the slightly lower tension on the strings.

They both sound great Doc, I'm unable to say I prefer one to the other. I do know that I have been using these lower tunings for a while now on my tenors and enjoy the deeper tones and the playability which is brought about by the slightly lower tension on the strings.

Cam, I totally agree with you regarding the lower tunings. For years I tuned every uke in C. Now, I try to match tuning to each uke. Makes each one sound just right to me.

I voted for B tuning. Is there anything you don't like about C tuning?

I voted for B tuning. Is there anything you don't like about C tuning?

C tuning is just fine. Most of my ukes are in C, but diversity is good.

The lower tuning on some ukes really brings out a nice deep, rich bass resonance, that really appeals to me on some songs. It can also change the sustain and volume.

I also like the B-flat. It sounds more "guitar" and the B sounds more "ukulele. Neither is is bad sound. But, the deeper tones seem to suit whatever the ukulele is that you are playing.

I think the B, to my ear. The Bb was not as smooth in the transition from the low G to the C string on the finger rolls and I suspect the intonation is not great because the chords didn't sound as sweet as they did in B.
John

Oooo -- I like this game!

Another vote for b-flat.

I too enjoy the variety, although I seem to always want to tune down the sopranos and tune up the baris. How's that for silly?

I think this gave me an idea for my 20's Harmony.

I voted for B flat although I should declare an interest here as most of my tenors are tuned b flat. Try taking it down another semitone to A and see what it sounds like. I have a couple of tenors tuned to A as well.

Anthony

Top Bottom