New Makala Shark

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought a new uke today; I got a Makala MK-SS/YLW. It's the first new ukulele I've brought home in a few years. Not that I haven't been digging the uke, I just hadn't been hit with UAS for a while. It hit me hard this week and I've got a couple of others on the way that I snagged on Ebay.

This one was a local pick from the music store and I wanted something that I could take to work to let a coworker use who has been showing interest in taking up uke. She's a real sweetheart and I've taken a shine to helping her get started.

I tried several at the local music store and chose the one with the best projection and intonation up the fretboard. I've got some Aquila strings on hand but will leave the stock ones on for now. I'm going to try something a bit different when I do the string change to make the uke more versatile but need to order some supplies to do it first.

Here's a shot of the new one. I dig the retro matte color…

I'm hoping to pick up a seafoam green Shark. I think you're on target with the idea of putting on Aquilas eventually.

I'm hoping to pick up a seafoam green Shark. I think you're on target with the idea of putting on Aquilas eventually.

They had a seafoam green one which is one of my favorite colors, but the intonation on the G string was off quite a bit. The yellow is attractive too so I didn't mind passing on the green. I can see getting a green one in the future though, especially if Julie digs this one and I pass it on to her.

I really want one of the black ones....just have a great dolphin noir already...Soon though...

On the shark, I fought between foam green and coral blue ... and ended up falling victim to the blood red color. But before I had to make this choice, was pondering the shark series or the Kala uke-uh-delic line, particularly the camo ... or the nighttime beach scene. It was a (fun) struggle. Hard to decide.

Not expecting much for the price, yet the UU reviews seem to have surprisingly good things to say about these guys, the Makalas. Just hope the intonation is OK.

Already bought a better KALA tenor earlier this year, so this one is something picked up to chuckle over, and strum. And for $42 bucks, free shipping, why not?

Back to the foam green, looked sharp in some pics --- but sickly color in others. Like cheap apartment wallpaper from the 60's. Mental health issues shouldn't arise playing the uke.

Gene

mounting the strings through the body rather than tying on top really makes a tonal difference. It also assures everyone around you that they will not have to worry about a shark attack when/if the bridge chooses to go visit the tuners.

Would be neat if they came out with a Diver Down paint scheme. To go with the shark shaped bridge.

Gene

Julie liked the uke and ended up buying her own Makala Shark in red. There's about 5 other coworkers now that are interested in learning uke, they're just debating on spending the money on one. I referred them to Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp and am showing them some chords. This is getting fun! Not that uke wasn't already, I just enjoy seeing the new enthusiasm.

Julie liked the uke and ended up buying her own Makala Shark in red. There's about 5 other coworkers now that are interested in learning uke, they're just debating on spending the money on one. I referred them to Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp and am showing them some chords. This is getting fun! Not that uke wasn't already, I just enjoy seeing the new enthusiasm.

Wow Kevin, 5? Cool!
I got 3 coworkers playing....I thought that was pretty great....but 5? neato!

Hi, Kevin. Sounds like you're not only sweet on the Shark, but perhaps a bit on Julie, too.

I'm waiting for the Makala Carp. In river-foam brown, naturally.

Hi, Kevin. Sounds like you're not only sweet on the Shark, but perhaps a bit on Julie, too.

She's a very sweet girl, but we're just friends. I'm married. I just get excited when someone shows interest in the uke and even more so when it's a friend.

Don't put a shark with your other ukes, you never know what might happen when you are out....

One of the strings on my Makala buzzed but I took a knitting needle and got a little bit of paint out from where the free board meets the uke and it was gone straight after. I was happily surprised by how easily I fixed it. It plays very nice but I'll admit my Hohner Kids Suprano is louder and clearer (same strings aquila on both) of course its not plastic so that could be why but well it won't stand up to the same bangs the makala will!

Back to the foam green, looked sharp in some pics --- but sickly color in others. Like cheap apartment wallpaper from the 60's. Mental health issues shouldn't arise playing the uke.

Gene

That's the best part about the green one!!! I want one of these guys, but really...I can't decide on the color. I'm probably going to get the green though. ;)

I gave the stock GHS strings a month and just couldn't like them. I switched out for Aquila tonight and am much happier. They're crisper, louder, feel better, and have more tension. I also put a small drop of lubricating oil on each gear and it eliminated the grating feeling that was there. I've had cheap tuners like these on guitars before and the brass gears ended up stripping out. Hopefully the oil will slow the deterioration of the gears.

I also found out today that I was upgraded to a larger locker in the break room at work. It's not full length, but is tall enough to put a soprano uke in. The Shark will now reside at work. I've been carrying one back and forth in the backpack for use on break when I get a chance. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

It's the little things in life that can really make for a great day.

Not seen a shark uke before... Just had a look and I still think the Dolphin bridge looks better. Maybe it's first-uke bias though. I've got the red burst Dolphin. The shark bridge just looks a bit funny to me.

Kudos on getting your workmates into it! Not sure I could get away with bringing a uke to work, although I am hoping to convert my girlfriend sometime.

Top Bottom