Dolphin ding touch up?

MutinousDoug

Reaction score
I have a brown Dolphin that took a hit (probably) from my guitar capo and requires a 2mm x 3mm sized touch of "What?": model airplane paint?, fingernail polish?
Right on the edge of the lower bout between the top and side, Dang it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well,
Being this is a Dolphin, it's more of a paint chip than a scratch. I'm thinkin' I need to fill it in with something approximating the original barn paint. I don't need "perfect" just not raw, grey looking primer.

Thanks though,

Touch Up

What hue of Brown is your Dolphin? I have done a lot of touch up with Sanford Marks-a-Lot pens, and Sanford permanent marker. Yellow or orange change the lightness or darkness. Practice on another piece of wood first. IA light coat of a spray finish coat helps to even out the edges.

What hue of Brown is your Dolphin? I have done a lot of touch up with Sanford Marks-a-Lot pens, and Sanford permanent marker. Yellow or orange change the lightness or darkness. Practice on another piece of wood first. IA light coat of a spray finish coat helps to even out the edges.

The Makala model number is: MK-SD/BRS

Uke Republic advertised them as "Chocolate" Sort of dark mahogany.

Hey! black and red Sharpie tones the defect down nicely but there's still the divot I'd like to fill.

Thanks

Just an opinion based on now real experience, but I would try nail polish on a cheap(er) uke like that. You can get it in so many colors.

From my experience with many a chipped Dolphin, I recommend the Testor's enamel paint. You can mix them to get the exact colour needed and multiple thin applications will fill in the chip.

maybe you could find a clear/matte nail polish and fill the divot, then use your sharpies to match the color. Or, the testor's paint thing sounds good too! Or, don't worry about it and/or buy another Dolphin!

OK,
Now I'mma go with nail polish or Testors model airplane paint.

I guess I have to buy a bunch of nearly close colors so I have a mix to putz around with; "brown" not being a popular nail polish or airplane color.

I'm not gonna bother looking for another brown Dolphin and throw this one away so,

I'm off to the hobby store.

Thx fellers,

Doug

Or, don't worry about it and/or buy another Dolphin!
Yeah, it's a Dolphin. Chips, scratches and dings just add character. :) Plus, cheap ukes can be hit or miss. If you like the Dolphin you've got, you might be disappointed in another. If the damage hasn't affected the uke's structure or playability (and it sounds like it hasn't), I'd be inclined to just let it go.

If you color in the scratch via one of the numerous ways mentioned here, even if it's not perfect, it will hardly be noticeable. Of course, it's one of those things that you'll probably notice because you know it's there, but it won't be obvious to most people unless you point it out.

OK,
Now I'mma go with nail polish or Testors model airplane paint.

I guess I have to buy a bunch of nearly close colors so I have a mix to putz around with; "brown" not being a popular nail polish or airplane color.
You would be surprised at the range of colors you can find nail polish in these days.

You don't even need to go to a hobby store. Just hit up your local CVS or other big chain drug store. They often display stuff by brand instead of category, e.g., you won't find all the nail polish at one display and you might have to look at the Sally Hansen section and the Revlon section, etc. to see all the available color variations.

If you're a single guy, this might be a fantastic opportunity to meet the opposite sex, too. Whether it's an employee or just another female shopping in that area, bring your uke and ask for help picking out a fingernail polish to match.

I mean, who could resist helping a guy toting a uke and trying to find the right color to match? :p

Yeah, it's a Dolphin. Chips, scratches and dings just add character. :) Plus, cheap ukes can be hit or miss. If you like the Dolphin you've got, you might be disappointed in another. If the damage hasn't affected the uke's structure or playability (and it sounds like it hasn't), I'd be inclined to just let it go.

If you color in the scratch via one of the numerous ways mentioned here, even if it's not perfect, it will hardly be noticeable. Of course, it's one of those things that you'll probably notice because you know it's there, but it won't be obvious to most people unless you point it out.

This Dolphin is destined to lead a hard life. Ultimately, it is going to end up with one of the grand kids unless somehow the rarity of a brown Dolphin becomes so killer and that I can sell it on Craigslist for 2x what a black sparkle or purple might be selling for (since, after all, there are two them [grandkids]).

I did have to futz with the nut slots to make this one intonate and playable and now have it tuned up to a D F# B to make it sound decent but I'm not in any hurry to stop playing it. It's a great instrument to throw in the car when forced to shop with grandma here.

You would be surprised at the range of colors you can find nail polish in these days.

You don't even need to go to a hobby store. Just hit up your local CVS or other big chain drug store. They often display stuff by brand instead of category, e.g., you won't find all the nail polish at one display and you might have to look at the Sally Hansen section and the Revlon section, etc. to see all the available color variations.

If you're a single guy, this might be a fantastic opportunity to meet the opposite sex, too. Whether it's an employee or just another female shopping in that area, bring your uke and ask for help picking out a fingernail polish to match.

I mean, who could resist helping a guy toting a uke and trying to find the right color to match? :p

Sound great.
Unfortunatly, (or not) Grandma over here probably woudn't take kindly to some babe taking me home while she's waiting in the car.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Top Bottom