PDA

View Full Version : Some folks wear their heart on their sleeve...

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2014, 11:11 AM
...me too.

But I'm over that. Always ends in tears. Gonna wear mine on my knuckles from now on.

greenie44
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Tattoos? And 'knuckles' sounds better, but would "metacarpals" be more anatomically accurate?

Brave move, regardless - great work!

glass
02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
So sweet. I wanted to do that too. Once you get one you will get more I am sure of that.

adamleblanc123
02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
you know what. that might be the most best knucke tats ive ever seen.
usually people get really hateful things they regret later. kudos!

Booli
02-13-2014, 11:49 AM
HA HA

That's awesome!

AKuker
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
And it's spelled correctly! You go, Jon!

Shady Wilbury
02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
And in so doing, you cement your status as 'da man', Eugene. :)

(My other thought on first seeing this was 'Ouch!', and a few other words not appropriate for this place.)

Peterjens
02-13-2014, 12:23 PM
I was thinking of inking the chromatic scale on my knuckles but I would be two knuckles short.

Booli
02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Upon showing this to a friend of mine just now, it was suggested to me to get the words:

'haole ahole'

tattooed across my knuckles (thumbs included)

However, aside from these words being greatly offensive to many, as well as sealing your fate for limiting future employment opportunities (like a face tattoo would, with the Corporate world's disdain for visible body ink), I would simply not have these words 'haole ahole' printed on my body, and I am reminded of a quote from Mark Twain:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt.

(of course the irony here is that I am referring solely to myself in this case)

Having said all that, I think the tattoo in the OP's picture above, is actually very cool. I am glad that someone has a tattoo like that.

HBolte
02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Cool, but your wife must be jealous of the uke!

OldePhart
02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
That is very cool but I still have to say I haven't found anything I want to say so badly that I will make it an irrevocable part of my body. :)

John

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the laughs you guys.

Pain wasn't too bad at all, though the guy told me that ribs and knuckles are apparently the tenderest spots, along with ankles. Worst bit was the shading, kinda felt like someone was digging into me with a knife, but the whole thing only took about 45 mins.

Oh and thanks greenie for calling me brave. First time anyone ever called me that.

As far as limiting work opps goes, who wants to go to work anyway? And na, my wife sure aint jealous, we're separated. :p

I've had this on my mind forever so when I was on Maui last week it kinda felt like an allignment of timing and emotion to do it. Of course, I'm full of regret, can you tell?

OldePhart
02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Yep...that's definitely your sad face... LOL

John

janeray1940
02-13-2014, 01:46 PM
That is just awesome :)

I'm the world's biggest commitment-phobe, but I've always said that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be something to do with ukulele - since ukulele is pretty much the only thing I've ever been capable of committing to!

quiltingshirley
02-13-2014, 01:57 PM
45 whole minutes!! Ouch! They do some good looking tatoos in Maui but not good enough for me to endure the pain. Hmmm.... maybe you should write a song about it???

UkerDanno
02-13-2014, 02:30 PM
And it's spelled correctly! You go, Jon!

:shaka: :shaka:

Teek
02-13-2014, 03:05 PM
That is so cool and also appropriate! :cool:

Anything over bone hurts! I got a half sleeve up over the shoulder 13 years ago and I still remember the needles feeling like I was being sawed on with a steak knife over the top of my shoulder. Hands would hurt worse because there are so many nerve endings there. Shading really hurts because they use multiple needles at once. It takes awhile but endorphins eventually kick in, but they only last so long. Just have to surrender and roll with it.

Yours is perfect! And Yes, you're brave! :D

I am sad to hear you are separated though. :(

mm stan
02-13-2014, 04:43 PM
63815 Here is another Photo...;)

vanflynn
02-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Cool Jon!

My bride wants me to get one that sez DNR for Do Not Resuscitate!

Uke on my friend!

consitter
02-13-2014, 08:28 PM
You ought to challenge all the other moderators to do the same thing....

OldePhart
02-14-2014, 04:01 AM
Cool Jon!

Uke on my friend!

Waitin' for the insurance money, is she? :)

John

Hippie Dribble
02-14-2014, 09:46 AM
That is just awesome

I'm the world's biggest commitment-phobe, but I've always said that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be something to do with ukulele - since ukulele is pretty much the only thing I've ever been capable of committing to!
yep, you and me both M. I pretty much said I would never get a tattoo til a little while ago but this one felt just right, fits like a glove.

45 whole minutes!! Ouch! They do some good looking tatoos in Maui but not good enough for me to endure the pain. Hmmm.... maybe you should write a song about it???
Honestly Shirley, the pain wasn't that bad at all really. Song on the way...

That is so cool and also appropriate!

Anything over bone hurts! I got a half sleeve up over the shoulder 13 years ago and I still remember the needles feeling like I was being sawed on with a steak knife over the top of my shoulder. Hands would hurt worse because there are so many nerve endings there. Shading really hurts because they use multiple needles at once. It takes awhile but endorphins eventually kick in, but they only last so long. Just have to surrender and roll with it.

Yours is perfect! And Yes, you're brave! :D

I am sad to hear you are separated though. :(
Sawed on with a steak knife. Perfect Teek, that's exactly how the shading felt but it was mercifully brief.

Cool Jon!

Uke on my friend!
Haha! Hilarious Jim. Thanks for the laugh mate. :p

You ought to challenge all the other moderators to do the same thing....
Hmmm, there's probably only one moderator who is whacked out and weird enough to do this Scott. But I will take up the challenge brother.
:cheers:

strumsilly
02-14-2014, 10:06 AM
awesome brother. a much braver man than I.
wilki says uku=a fish and lele= sacrificial altar, so you have a few other options taken separately.

lakesideglenn
02-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Hmmm....separated, trip to Hawaii, tatoos....im no shrink but mid-life crisis symptoms?
Anyway, I love your playing...keep it up brother!

Hippie Dribble
02-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Hmmm....separated, trip to Hawaii, tatoos....im no shrink but mid-life crisis symptoms?
Anyway, I love your playing...keep it up brother!
got no idea what you talking bout Willis

rem50
02-14-2014, 01:44 PM
I am so jealous!!!!!...TRIP TO MAUI !!! oh, nice tat-too :)

consitter
02-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Hmmm, there's probably only one moderator who is whacked out and weird enough to do this Scott. But I will take up the challenge brother.
:cheers:

Yup, and I'll bet Seeso will do it.

Hippie Dribble
02-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Ha! I bet you're right!

consitter
02-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Ha! I bet you're right!

If my wife wouldn't go nuts, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Tudorp
02-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Nice brudah Jon... After going through the military, and my "biker" days, I never got inked. I guess because it was expected of me (my rebel days I reckon). I caved a few years ago and got my first ink at age 50. I figured a half century mark, it's time because gravity only has so much time to mess it up now, lol..

ukegirl
02-15-2014, 09:24 AM
That looks great! I like the heart at the start of it!

seeso
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Yup, and I'll bet Seeso will do it.

I'm sure you're talking about Buddhuu!

consitter
02-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm sure you're talking about Buddhuu!

I triple dog dare ya!!

KevinV
02-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Just gotta say…that's an awesome tat.

coolkayaker1
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Jon has been hanging out with Ukulelezaza again. :D

Hippie Dribble
02-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Nice brudah Jon... After going through the military, and my "biker" days, I never got inked. I guess because it was expected of me (my rebel days I reckon). I caved a few years ago and got my first ink at age 50. I figured a half century mark, it's time because gravity only has so much time to mess it up now, lol..
Thanks for chiming in Tony. Mate, I never did either and pretty much thought I never would, but there ya go, never say never. And yeah, gravity is our enemy which makes me glad I went the nucks LOL

That looks great! I like the heart at the start of it!
Thanks a lot ukegirl, yeah I think the heart makes it too. :) (That you Toni?)

Just gotta say…that's an awesome tat.
Cheers Kevin!

Jon has been hanging out with Ukulelezaza again. :D
Ha! So true Steve. Remco's "LOVE" one was what got me thinkin' in the first place

SailQwest
02-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Nice ink, Jon! You are a committed man, and the heart is charming. :D

I have a single, incredibly painful to get, tattoo. It's a tribal thing on the top of my foot with a heart at its center.

I got it to commemorate getting my USCG Captain's License and Scuba Instructor Certification.

Bob Bledsoe
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Jon, you've successfully walked that fine line between whimsical and bad-ass. Nice work!

Ambient Doughnut
02-18-2014, 12:07 AM
If you're going to get a tattoo like that you'd better have the chops to back it up...

...fortunately we know that you do! :)

Hippie Dribble
02-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Nice ink, Jon! You are a committed man, and the heart is charming. :D

I have a single, incredibly painful to get, tattoo. It's a tribal thing on the top of my foot with a heart at its center.

I got it to commemorate getting my USCG Captain's License and Scuba Instructor Certification.
Thanks Kim. Yours sounds really beautiful.

Jon, you've successfully walked that fine line between whimsical and bad-ass. Nice work!
Ha Bob! They call me the Rebel Geek. :p

If you're going to get a tattoo like that you'd better have the chops to back it up...

...fortunately we know that you do! :)
Geez Gavin, hadn't even considered that side of things. You know, I woulda got it done whether I was crap, good or average mate. I kinda don't care bout that stuff, I just love the instrument so much hey. Good to hear from you brother. :)

mds725
02-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Jon, upside down, your tat looks like the numbers 3737, followed by three letters from the Russian alphabet and, possibly, a housefly or a moth. :)

librainian
02-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Wow, way to commit. Now this needs to be your avatar for all time! Must have stung! I love the idea, but I wouldn't have the guts for that.