PDA

View Full Version : Season 105 - Songs Of Freedom

Pages : [1] 2

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Today, February 15, is Susan B. Anthony's birthday. In December we lost Nelson Mandela. In January we lost Pete Seeger. January was also the month of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday as well as the anniversary of Harvey Milk being elected to public office. February 1 was National Freedom Day. This month is also Black History Month in the US. It's also Abraham Lincoln's birthday, George Washington's birthday, Rosa Park's birthday and Frederick Douglas' birthday (not to mention your humble host).

Season 105: SONGS OF FREEDOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DvBDqLHlfo

Given all the above info, you do NOT need to do a song about civil rights or the fight for independence. Apply the idea of freedom any way you want. Sing about breaking free from a bad relationship, struggling to free one's self from an addiction, the freedom to dance naked, whatever.

Rules? What rules? It's FREEDOM week! Though, in respect to our beloved current host, pabrizzer, please don't post your entry on this tread until 12:01 am Sunday HI time.

Given the fact that there are no rules this week I expect an onslaught of participation. That said, as it is with life, some things have crept up beyond my control and I won't be as available this week as I had hoped. I will do my best to be a worthy host.

Prizes!!!!!!!!
- There will be three prizes (listed below). As I have been the very lucky winner of several random hat drawings, I feel it is my duty to pay the random hat drawing proper respect and pull names randomly from a special, yet undetermined hat (a Homburg perhaps? Nudge nudge pa). Everyone who enters will get their name in the hat ONCE and only once. I may determine in the midst of the week to allow people to get TWO entires into the hat if I have not heard a particular song in a timely fashion. I do after all have the FREEDOM to make changes. The first person drawn from the hat will get the first choice of the tree prizes, the second person drawn will choose between the two other prizes and the third person drawn will get the spoils.

Prizes:
- A DVD: Let Freedom Sing. This amazing DVD powerfully retells one of the greatest stories in American history, the Civil Rights Movement, in a compelling new way... through the singers and songwriters who fought for change through their music.
- A book: Long Walk To Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
- Coffe!: I love the idea of having regional prizes, a gift from where you live, like the Vermont syrup Fred gave away fro Season 102. So, since Portland has a fine reputation for making great coffee, this last prize is a bag of coffee from the Portland Roasting Company.

That's all for now. Have at it.

PLAYLIST (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--WurKIu-xk&list=PLaKuyxrZ9wHtyd6E_K3F1SSXInTsJXELV)

frisbee fred
02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Great idea, Sean! This is definitely going to be a good Season.

caukulele
02-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Great theme!!!!

librainian
02-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Superb theme. Well thought out and very appropriate for the times. I look forward to some great contributions this week. Thanks Sean!

TCK
02-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Oh...it is on. I don't need to get better to play punk rock songs :)
Without pants.
NO RULES!!!! YAY!
STOKED

UkeCan1
02-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Free will. Free love. Free verse. Freestyle. Free trial. Freedom Trail. Free thinker. Don't fence me in. Don't tread on me. Freebie. Freaky. Set me free. Let my people go. Let it all hang out. Freed from jail. Jailbird. Free as a bird. Freebird!

Free the Seasonista 7! Freedom of speech. Freedom of association.

Just a little free association for ya. No charge. :)

bird's eye view of my ukelele
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat theme!

just great!

and great intro post and vid too

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah, BEVOMU, you may not participate UNLESS you reveal yourself.

frisbee fred
02-15-2014, 06:22 PM

He's got you now, BEV.....

UkeCan1
02-15-2014, 06:23 PM

It would be simple enough to have a rule requiring uke front and center and face visible on video. :)
Just sayin'. Since you haven't posted rules yet.

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 06:34 PM
It would be simple enough to have a rule requiring uke front and center and face visible on video. :)
Just sayin'. Since you haven't posted rules yet.

Damn! You're right. But it's FREEDOM week. I can't start laying down rules before it's even begun. Remember this for next week people.

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Alright folks, I just updated the initial post with prizes and all. Woohoo.

uke4ia
02-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Since it's you who's hosting, I almost feel I should do "When You're a Free Man". But I have some originals that fit this theme, and I'm probably going with one or more of them.

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Since it's you who's hosting, I almost feel I should do "When You're a Free Man". But I have some originals that fit this theme, and I'm probably going with one or more of them.

Oh! I didn't even think of that. I love that song. Although an original from you for this season would be wonderful.

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, there's been some debate as to when the third starts. Season 1 began on February 5, 2012 so I think pabrizzer has the official first full week of the third year.

lelouden
02-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Really great idea for a theme Sean. I will be leaving for a five day vacation on wednesday and probably won't have an opportunity to check in after that unless internet service is better than I expect it to be. Im hoping to get something in before I go. This will be a great week for everyone given the no rules rule:)

pabrizzer
02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, there's been some debate as to when the third starts. Season 1 began on February 5, 2012 so I think pabrizzer has the official first full week of the third year.

Now you bring dates into account that makes sense Sean.
Great that we are heading into week TWO of the 3rd year of the seasons!
And what a great season it's going to be. We get to see TCK without pants again.
For the record almost ALL of my videos have been done in my boxer shorts!

02-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Just sayin'.
thanks

cheers

Hippie Dribble
02-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Um, we need pics...:p

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 08:43 PM
cheers

BEVOMU, we're ribbing you because we love you. Play us a song, no strings attached. No season would be complete without a vid (or two, or three, or...) from you.

02-15-2014, 08:43 PM
no no no

it doesn't count if you put OTHER CLOTHES ON TOP OF THEM

after all

underneath my clothes

i am naked

:eek:

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
And what a great season it's going to be. We get to see TCK without pants again.

Sounds like freedom will have more than one meaning this week!

02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
BEVOMU, we're ribbing you because we love you. Play us a song, no strings attached. No season would be complete without a vid (or two, or three, or...) from you.
aw!

cheers

no i mean it - for real this time!

pabrizzer
02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Um, we need pics...:p

no no no

it doesn't count if you put OTHER CLOTHES ON TOP OF THEM

after all

underneath my clothes

i am naked

:eek:

No. I mean just my boxer shorts. If you notice I am sitting down in most of my vids. I was worried when I wasn't aware of a mirror in the vid I did at the window for 29moons season. I just checked again and luckily for you guys its very unclear. And boxers are pretty modest as far as underwear goes.

Besides talking about my freedom of attire when I'm at home I have got a vid up and ready to go.
In my pajama shorts this time.:o

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
So far as I know, Andrew was the only one to pick up on the fact that I dropped a clue to this week's theme in my vid for 104. I'm hoping to start a new tradition where the host for the upcoming week either sings a clue or places an object in the vid as a clue for their submission in the current week.

lelouden
02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
No. I mean just my boxer shorts. If you notice I am sitting down in most of my vids. I was worried when I wasn't aware of a mirror in the vid I did at the window for 29moons season. I just checked again and luckily for you guys its very unclear. And boxers are pretty modest as far as underwear goes.

Besides talking about my freedom of attire when I'm at home I have got a vid up and ready to go.
In my pajama shorts this time.:o

What a clever man. That vid has just sky rocketed to orbit!

FYI I also play every song with PJ bottoms on.

I could have sworn I told BEV a season or two ago there is nothing like a man with a hat, sunnies and no pants.

Then I saw Eugene's Rubber Duckie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fowz7Fcjw2s&list=UUxpvJmwOe89v07WgJAmo42g&feature=c4-overview) and I thought I should recant that!

lelouden
02-15-2014, 09:30 PM
So far as I know, Andrew was the only one to pick up on the fact that I dropped a clue to this week's theme in my vid for 104. I'm hoping to start a new tradition where the host for the upcoming week either sings a clue or places an object in the vid as a clue for their submission in the current week.

I love that idea Sean. I hope everybody tries that. How fun would that be?!:)

TCK
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
We already saw me in shorts this week Pa- I did my video for your week sans the pantalones ;)
Now you bring dates into account that makes sense Sean.
Great that we are heading into week TWO of the 3rd year of the seasons!

ukuleledaddy
02-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Oh...it is on. I don't need to get better to play punk rock songs :)
Without pants.
NO RULES!!!! YAY!
STOKED
Ha ha! Bring it on! Can't wait to get this started. So glad you're coming to the party Dave.

wee_ginga_yin
02-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Not an entry not a bonus but a curiosity: Man was made to mourn a poem by Robert Burns
which ponders man's inhumanity to man... with a bit of Martin Luther King thrown in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRgad841F0

pabrizzer
02-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Oh Freedom.
Wiki tells me it's a post Civil War song (pretty big time range).
Sung by Pete Seeger and Joan Baez and Odetta and many others.
Despite what I say we now know this is week two of the third year of the seasons. Here we go -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--WurKIu-xk

krabbers
02-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Original song Free Man by Me

http://youtu.be/nlwgOpaaupk

xommen
02-16-2014, 03:48 AM
This is an original I wrote for this season, it is a bit on the philosophic side of freedom I guess. I tried to show that freedom can be a different thing for every person. And that sometime not having the freedom to do stupid stuff is a good thing. This is called Freedom Paradox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeNHQAqnn1s

02-16-2014, 04:32 AM
No. I mean just my boxer shorts. If you notice I am sitting down in most of my vids.
oh my days!

good for you

come summer i will again no doubt be sporting my usual array of garish oops i mean incredibly stylish cartoon cut-off pyjama bottoms

yeah baby

that's just rock and roll

FYI I also play every song with PJ bottoms on.

all the very best people do

I could have sworn I told BEV a season or two ago there is nothing like a man with a hat, sunnies and no pants.
yes she did

and re eugene's rubber duckie

it just goes to show that all you really need to be stylishly dressed, is a uke

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 05:16 AM
Oh Freedom.
Sung by Pete Seeger and Joan Baez and Odetta and many others.
Despite what I say we now know this is week two of the third year of the seasons. Here we go -

Not surprised you're the first one in. I thought you'd be itching to get behind the uke after a week of hosting!
What a way to kick off the week. This has everything I was hoping to get from people this week. Songs to inspire the best in us. Songs of strength and hope. I hope everyone grabs their ukes and plays along. I sure did.
Also, it's only the third year if we go from the actual date the seasons started I suppose. Ralf mentioned a while back that he was counting the seasons strictly by number (he is a math teacher after all), so there's that. Guess it's all in how you look at it.
I'm looking forward to your next song. I just love your stuff.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 05:20 AM

Mike, I'm so glad you revived this song for this season, and thrilled to have you join us. I'd think I'll ever figure out how you get that beautiful, rich sound out of those four strings. You amaze me. Fantastic song. You have the gift of storytelling. Jeepers creepers, I sure enjoyed this.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Alright, we're up and running. The playlist has been added to the first post of this thread. Great entries so far, keep 'em coming. Also, my house is about to be overrun by little kids so I'll keep up with you folks as best I can! Have fun.

decaturcomp
02-16-2014, 05:52 AM
What a terrific topic. Freedom is a dream subject for me.

Since Sean is going to be really busy IRL this week why don't we all exercise our freedom to jump in and help with the comments? As you may all know, it makes the Season much easier to parse here on UU if we make our comments on YT but I know that's not always what people prefer to do. Not trying to start a big palaver about whether YT/G+ is or isn't the antichrist, Just a thought.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Not an entry not a bonus but a curiosity: Man was made to mourn a poem by Robert Burns
which ponders man's inhumanity to man... with a bit of Martin Luther King thrown in.
]

Thanks for sharing Rob. Reminds me of the few times I've been club hoping. Where's the X?

decaturcomp
02-16-2014, 06:06 AM
LEAVE BRITTANY...(sorry) BEV, alone!

Personally, I love the way Lynda rocks the woman of mystery vibe. Besides, It's freedom week so she's free to make up a rule overriding any rule. Just sayin'!

"Yeah, baby!"

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:12 AM
This is an original I wrote for this season, it is a bit on the philosophic side of freedom I guess. I tried to show that freedom can be a different thing for every person. And that sometime not having the freedom to do stupid stuff is a good thing. This is called Freedom Paradox.

Wim, this is nothing short of excellent. Not only is it very well played and sung but it is poignant and thought provoking. Freedom certainly is a paradox. There are so many things that other countries get right which we struggle with in the US. There's great respect and care that needs to be given to the freedoms we have in our society. Thanks so much for this.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
What a terrific topic. Freedom is a dream subject for me.

Since Sean is going to be really busy IRL this week why don't we all exercise our freedom to jump in and help with the comments? As you may all know, it makes the Season much easier to parse here on UU if we make our comments on YT but I know that's not always what people prefer to do. Not trying to start a big palaver about whether YT/G+ is or isn't the antichrist, Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought Alan. If I had my druthers I'd sink all my time this week into hanging out right here with all of you. But, that's not how life works (as I type my youngest is yelling at me, vying for my attention).

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Personally, I love the way Lynda rocks the woman of mystery vibe. Besides, It's freedom week so she's free to make up a rule overriding any rule. Just sayin'!

"Yeah, baby!"

Here here! I'm as much to blame as anyone for razzing the poor girl. It's only because we love her so. She is brilliant by the way. I remember back in my early days (when I was UkuleleBoy) I was obsessed with the band KISS (BTW I came THIS close to doing a tribute week to the 2014 R&R Hall Of Fame inductees, of which KISS is included, finally!!!). The whole world (as far as I was concerned) wanted to see them take the make-up off. They were cloaked in mystery, even had their own comic book and action dolls (of which I still own). To me, they were super heroes and I loved them. Of course, when the make-up came off the mystery (and the magic) vanished. I suppose we all figure we know BEV to a certain degree and consider her a friend and simply want to "meet" the real BEV. She's a brilliant one I tell you.

UkeCan1
02-16-2014, 07:19 AM

I see what happened: It seems there was a week off between the Season 6 and 7, while folks figured out this was a good thing that should be continued past the original contest. And then Season 8 started in the middle of the following week and went for a week and a half. Then I guess things got weekly from there.

So the week numbers are off from the dates. And we totally missed singing "Happy Birthday" to the Seasons on February 5th. Which happened during Season 103, actually, so the actual birthday was neither this week nor last week, but the week before. Maybe we'll remember next year. Happy belated birthday, Seasons!

Sounds like freedom will have more than one meaning this week!

In my New Year's Eve video (http://youtu.be/xmNhBnu2lWY), I am actually wearing long johns and I think long pants underneath the Dress of Awesomeness. Because it was, you know, 12 degrees Kelvin on New Year's Eve. And I was wearing a sleeveless, backless dress. On top.

Wow, what a wonderful song, beautifully played.

Tootler
02-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Just briefly interrupting this thread to say, I have started a Blues Thread. Checkout Seasonistas Sing the Blues (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93103-Seasonistas-Sing-The-Blues)

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 07:27 AM
I see what happened: It seems there was a week off between the Season 6 and 7, while folks figured out this was a good thing that should be continued past the original contest. And then Season 8 started in the middle of the following week and went for a week and a half. Then I guess things got weekly from there.

So the week numbers are off from the dates. And we totally missed singing "Happy Birthday" to the Seasons on February 5th. Which happened during Season 103, actually, so the actual birthday was neither this week nor last week, but the week before. Maybe we'll remember next year. Happy belated birthday, Seasons!

Ah, you're a clever one. Thanks for clearing this up!

02-16-2014, 07:57 AM

"Yeah, baby!"
aw!

thanks baby! ;)

by the way, i prefer to spell that, BRITAINY. coming from britain and all

one of my other nicknames is of course englandy

maybe

:uhoh:

Just briefly interrupting this thread to say, I have started a Blues Thread. Checkout Seasonistas Sing the Blues (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93103-Seasonistas-Sing-The-Blues)
nice one, tootler

SONG OF FREEDOM

great theme by the way

this is "destiny" which is the english version of "molitva", the song that won the eurovision song contest for serbia in 2007

the reason i put this forward as a song of freedom is that this song, its very gay singer, and its fabulously gay staging, all emerged - and indeed triumphed - in a climate where gay pride marches were and still are repeatedly banned in serbia, and marchers physically attacked by anti-gay protesters when a pride march does go ahead

so - gay rights - freedom to love - destiny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnuE3AY6uDw

redpaul1
02-16-2014, 07:57 AM

"Yeah, baby!"

Hear! Hear!

myrnaukelele
02-16-2014, 08:01 AM
My Songbird. Written by Jesse Winchester. Emmy Lou Harris has made this song her own, first singing it on her Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town album in 1978.

http://youtu.be/K6k1J1hJ6b4

redpaul1
02-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. At any event, the first Seasons' Extravaganza celebrated the first 52 Seasons, and likewise, the 2nd Extravaganza will be celebrating the second 52 (i.e., Seasons 53-104). Seasonista nominations (Seasonista, Host, Newbie, etc. of the Year), etc., will open tomorrow. Stay tuned :)

decaturcomp
02-16-2014, 08:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL12VxoiUVw

pabrizzer
02-16-2014, 08:15 AM
I agree with Wim Freedom really is an illusion.
Not sure what you know of Pitcairn Island. A very small dot in the Pacific. "Settled" by the mutineers from The Bounty. Could have been Utopia but they started slaughtering each other very early on. They discovered the "Law of God" via the Bible.
They hid behind the pretense of religion for many years but relatively recently it was revealed it was a Lord of the Flies situation with the place being ruled by (and women being abused by)...you guessed it.... the strongest males.

Freedom to me means fairness and equality I guess.

Long intro to Seasick Steve's Free Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSSFFJiQu4

Because it ain't is it?

Just restrung the bari. Strings haven't settled which hopefully explains the last chord.

Dougf
02-16-2014, 08:44 AM
This is a song about willingly giving up freedom, for love. Or something. Okay, so I think I need to add that this song is FICTIONAL, any similarity to actual people is purely coincidental. When I first played it for my wife, her reaction was along the lines of, “Hah, if only!”, and then, “who are you, and what have you done with my husband?” Then she started to see the possibilities. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5OtZtQ1A4

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
SONG OF FREEDOM

great theme by the way

this is "destiny" which is the english version of "molitva", the song that won the eurovision song contest for serbia in 2007

the reason i put this forward as a song of freedom is that this song, its very gay singer, and its fabulously gay staging, all emerged - and indeed triumphed - in a climate where gay pride marches were and still are repeatedly banned in serbia, and marchers physically attacked by anti-gay protesters when a pride march does go ahead

so - gay rights - freedom to love - destiny

Freedom to love. It boggles my mind that that is not just a given.
So glad gay rights are represented here in freedom week. This was wonderfully played and sung BEV. Thanks for joining us.
BTW, I'm glad you're keeping up the mystique.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 09:11 AM
My Songbird. Written by Jesse Winchester. Emmy Lou Harris has made this song her own, first singing it on her Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town album in 1978.

This is stunning Myrna. You've created a lovely mood with this song. I love the picking you're doing here, and your voice is beautiful. Really wonderful stuff. I've never heard this song before. Thanks for turning me on to it!

xommen
02-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Wim, this is nothing short of excellent. Not only is it very well played and sung but it is poignant and thought provoking. Freedom certainly is a paradox. There are so many things that other countries get right which we struggle with in the US. There's great respect and care that needs to be given to the freedoms we have in our society. Thanks so much for this.
Thanks Sean.
I just want to state for the record that I think all governments and countries have their flaws. And believe me when I say that at least in my opion Dutch politicians make some big mistakes. So anything you say about other contries being more right then the US are on you ;).

lelouden
02-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Found on Pete Seeger's Wimoweh and Other Songs of Freedom and Protest Album is "Aint gonna Study War No More (Down by the Riverside)" Pete always engaged his audience and the album is done live. So this is a Sing-a-long. Grab your Ukes...G D7 D C. Video compete with words and chords. Besides If your playing with me you won't notice my blunders:)

Down By The Riverside~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWEk5A-Ahkg&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaveey
02-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Howdy all, well here is my official entry for this week and thanks for hosting Sean, hoping i can get some more songs done this week if i can get some spare time :)

http://youtu.be/pmQQ8LMDV0k

UkeCan1
02-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Well, I already did my serious, impactful Pete Seeger freedom-from-pollution song (http://youtu.be/wiZQciYX31M) three weeks ago for S102 / blues week (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92425-Season-102-is-here!). But it's freedom week! So we are free to

- do something frivolous
- overdress for a song about underdressing
- imagine we are somewhere warmer than we are
- do a mostly 2-chord song instead of my usual 19
- turn one of those two chords (A) into two (A-A7) all over the place
- make a few mistakes (but fewer than usual) :)
- make an entry on the first afternoon, possibly (who knows?) freeing me up to actually get other stuff done the rest of the week

This was the first song I thought of for this week. The Talking Heads last album, "Naked", came out in 1988, just as I was preparing for a week-long sailing trip in the Caribbean with friends. I loved all the songs, especially this one, and wore that cassette out playing it all day long. Of course, I brought it along - the perfect theme album and theme song for our little cruise. (And, yeah baby, in the middle of the ocean under the tropical sun, it is true ... you do not need clothing.)

http://youtu.be/d5SKvMsgBhs

And, continuing the tradition we started in Season 94 (opposites week) (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week) (and once again, through no fault of his own), I have learned something that will help me play better (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs) from something Sean started (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1438881#post1438882): this time, that my videos sound way better if I a) sing louder, and b) play a whole lot softer so my loud uke doesn't overpower my voice and overload the microphone. I know y'all have been telling me that for a while - I finally tried it and it's a big improvement.

And here's something I just learned from Wikipedia about this song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_%28Talking_Heads_album%29) - this whole album was basically improvised! Here's what it says:

Wanting to try something different after their use of regional American music and the pop song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music) format on their previous two albums, Little Creatures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Creatures_%28album%29) and True Stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Stories_%28Talking_Heads_album%29), Talking Heads decided to record their final album in Paris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris) with a group of international musicians. Prior to leaving for France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France), the band recorded about 40 improvisational (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvisation) tracks that would serve as the foundation for the sessions in Paris.
Once in Paris, the band, along with producer Steve Lillywhite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lillywhite) were joined by a number of other musicians in the recording studio where they would rehearse and play for the entire day. At the end of each day, one take was selected as being the ideal version of a particular tune.

In the interest of freedom for the musicians, it was decided that lyrics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrics) and melodies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody) would be left until later. The lyrics were not overdubbed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdub) until the band returned to New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City). Many of David Byrne's lyrics were improvisations sung along with the prerecorded tracks until he found something that he felt worked. In this way, the melodies and lyrics evolved in a similar fashion as the songs themselves.

So how's that for a perfect song for Freedom Week?

- Wendy, wearing far too many layers, and looking forward to the sunshine

~dave~~wave~
02-16-2014, 01:04 PM
A one-minute song from the 1967 San Francisco band whose name was the punch line to the joke "What's purple and lives at the bottom of the sea?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSDNZK3wHIY

Jazzbanjorex
02-16-2014, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DobPnQpkWkE&feature=youtu.be
Freedom isn't a place, it's an attitude.

GaryC1968
02-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I found a Hank Williams song for this season. It's amazing to think how many more great songs he would have written if he didn't die so young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pYBFWL_8Qk

02-16-2014, 01:59 PM
lol yeah quite a bit of leeway there!

If your playing with me you won't notice my blunders:)

very sweet sentiment, linda but a. you didn't make any blunders and b. how come your playing didn't cover up MY blunders???!

A one-minute song from the 1967 San Francisco band whose name was the punch line to the joke "What's purple and lives at the bottom of the sea?"
ok before i went over to youtube proper and read your description, when i was just watching your vid here on the thread, i googled the song because i didn't know it or who originally did it

and it was coming up with versions by robert plant, cat power, and moby grape

all of which fit that joke of course

kind of

if you're on the right sort of medication

pabrizzer
02-16-2014, 02:02 PM
if you're on the right sort of medication

mmlrol

= made me laugh right out loud

02-16-2014, 02:05 PM
mmlrol
wTodffr!

(writing THAT one down for future reference!)

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 02:20 PM

First of all, nice PJs. Secondly, I really love this. It's not an easy song to sing and you nailed that. The a cappella bit was really nice. What I enjoyed most was your playing. This sounded so cool. Loved the little riff you had going on. Also, I don't think I've ever seen you play with a capo.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 03:16 PM
I agree with Wim Freedom really is an illusion.
Not sure what you know of Pitcairn Island. A very small dot in the Pacific. "Settled" by the mutineers from The Bounty. Could have been Utopia but they started slaughtering each other very early on. They discovered the "Law of God" via the Bible.
They hid behind the pretense of religion for many years but relatively recently it was revealed it was a Lord of the Flies situation with the place being ruled by (and women being abused by)...you guessed it.... the strongest males.

Freedom to me means fairness and equality I guess.

Long intro to Seasick Steve's Free Country.

Because it ain't is it?

Just restrung the bari. Strings haven't settled which hopefully explains the last chord.

Thanks for the interesting info. This season could just as easily been called "Equality Week", for that's what all those people I mentioned in the opening vid were fighting for. I appreciate your insight and enjoy how this week is coming together.

This is a perfect example of why I love your stuff so much. This is fantastic. Your vocals are gritty and add a lot to the mood. Your playing, well I just wish I could do that. Top notch.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
This is a song about willingly giving up freedom, for love. Or something. Okay, so I think I need to add that this song is FICTIONAL, any similarity to actual people is purely coincidental. When I first played it for my wife, her reaction was along the lines of, “Hah, if only!”, and then, “who are you, and what have you done with my husband?” Then she started to see the possibilities. :)

Oh man, I love this! GREAT lyrics. I can't believe you wrote this. So creative and clever.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Found on Pete Seeger's Wimoweh and Other Songs of Freedom and Protest Album is "Aint gonna Study War No More (Down by the Riverside)" Pete always engaged his audience and the album is done live. So this is a Sing-a-long. Grab your Ukes...G D7 D C. Video compete with words and chords. Besides If your playing with me you won't notice my blunders:)

Down By The Riverside~

This was one of the first songs I learned on the uke. I used to play it for my girls a lot. So glad you brought this in this week. I'm gonna go grab my uke and play right along with you. Wonderful Linda, thanks. Blunders? None noticed. All that is missing here is all of you around a campfire.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Howdy all, well here is my official entry for this week and thanks for hosting Sean, hoping i can get some more songs done this week if i can get some spare time :)

Yeah! I love this song. Never heard before but I love it now. Wonderful stuff Dave. Thanks for getting this week jumping. Glad to have you aboard. Hope you get the time to do some more.

CeeJay
02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
http://youtu.be/CRlnWfvrwHE

My attempt at a freedom song called Freebird ....maybe have bitten off a bit more than is chewable ....but hey it is all learning thing....you know ...goes round a bend....curve ..!!

Forgive the "singing"............

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, I already did my serious, impactful Pete Seeger freedom-from-pollution song (http://youtu.be/wiZQciYX31M) three weeks ago for S102 / blues week (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?92425-Season-102-is-here!). But it's freedom week! So we are free to

- do something frivolous
- overdress for a song about underdressing
- imagine we are somewhere warmer than we are
- do a mostly 2-chord song instead of my usual 19
- turn one of those two chords (A) into two (A-A7) all over the place
- make a few mistakes (but fewer than usual) :)
- make an entry on the first afternoon, possibly (who knows?) freeing me up to actually get other stuff done the rest of the week

This was the first song I thought of for this week. The Talking Heads last album, "Naked", came out in 1988, just as I was preparing for a week-long sailing trip in the Caribbean with friends. I loved all the songs, especially this one, and wore that cassette out playing it all day long. Of course, I brought it along - the perfect theme album and theme song for our little cruise. (And, yeah baby, in the middle of the ocean under the tropical sun, it is true ... you do not need clothing.)

And, continuing the tradition we started in Season 94 (opposites week) (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week) (and once again, through no fault of his own), I have learned something that will help me play better (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs) from something Sean started (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1438881#post1438882): this time, that my videos sound way better if I a) sing louder, and b) play a whole lot softer so my loud uke doesn't overpower my voice and overload the microphone. I know y'all have been telling me that for a while - I finally tried it and it's a big improvement.

So how's that for a perfect song for Freedom Week?

- Wendy, wearing far too many layers, and looking forward to the sunshine

Now that's my kind of freedom. I love the Talking Heads but have never heard this song. So glad you brought this along with you this week. Great tune and well played and sung.
Also, I often feel slightly relieved by finishing (what I think will be) my video for the week, until I (almost immediately) have an idea for another song I "must" do! So you're certainly not alone.
Also, I'm glad to be of continued help (oh, that video from 94 will haunt me till the end of my days).

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Ha! Never heard this one before Dave. This certainly fits the theme. I'll have to look up the original. Nicely done, and thanks for sharing this.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Freedom isn't a place, it's an attitude.

Freedom in your soul. That's what makes it possible to find the strength to fight for other freedoms I think. Gosh, this was superb Rex. One of the best things I've heard from you. I wish I could sing and play like that. Thanks for the inspiration.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 04:58 PM
I found a Hank Williams song for this season. It's amazing to think how many more great songs he would have written if he didn't die so young.

Hank was such an amazing talent and this is a wonderful song. Really nice Gary. I'm so glad you included this in freedom week. Loved it.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 05:04 PM
My attempt at a freedom song called Freebird ....maybe have bitten off a bit more than is chewable ....but hey it is all learning thing....you know ...goes round a bend....curve ..!!

Forgive the "singing"............

First of all, I love the huge SORRY at the start of the song. No sorry need of course, this was great. Much more than I would ever attempt or be able to pull off myself, that's for sure. This song has a lot of emotion wrapped up in it for me personally, which I won't go into here, but I'm so glad to have it included in this play list. Thank you.

TCK
02-16-2014, 05:34 PM
This week presents a perfect opportunity for me to play angsty-punk rock songs rife with profanity on the Ukulele. That and I am still sick, so to get anything out sounding halfway decent is a push...
SOOOO- Angsty-punk rock song number one!
I say the F-word so many times here I figured I ought to get the approval of the moderators...I bet you can guess which one said go ahead and post it ;) If you do not like the F-word and the Ukulele combined with really low ability to properly execute, look elsewhere. Number 300 folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcS61sngHaw

TCK
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
I suppose while we are at it, there is this. This is THE WORST sounding video we have ever made...
but we laughed ourselves to tears doing it.
This time some pop-punk, featuring a less offensive expletive, but an expletive none the less.
Just move along. Really. I am going to do this all week.
Daddy-o, love ya mate. Thanks for this- feeling better all ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-1oAW5CjA

Hippie Dribble
02-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Number 300 folks.

Happy 300th mate. You don't look a day over 65.

myrnaukelele
02-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Number 300 folks.

I suppose while we are at it, there is this. This is THE WORST sounding video we have ever made...
This time some pop-punk, featuring a less offensive expletive, but an expletive none the less.

WooHoo! 300! You and Mel sound great btw. (I am not free(able) to comment on YT at the moment. So commenting here instead).

TCK
02-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Thank you Myrna...so dang sick, but this little Uke will bring me out of it I am sure!
WooHoo! 300! You and Mel sound great btw. (I am not free(able) to comment on YT at the moment. So commenting here instead).

TCK
02-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Funny, I don't feel a day over 41 mate ;)
Happy 300th mate. You don't look a day over 65.

Jazzbanjorex
02-16-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm free to choose it even if it hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9G_hWxZFI

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
This week presents a perfect opportunity for me to play angsty-punk rock songs rife with profanity on the Ukulele. That and I am still sick, so to get anything out sounding halfway decent is a push...
I say the F-word so many times here I figured I ought to get the approval of the moderators...I bet you can guess which one said go ahead and post it ;) If you do not like the F-word and the Ukulele combined with really low ability to properly execute, look elsewhere. Number 300 folks.

Freedom week. No rules. This may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I for one love the combination of the F-word and the ukulele. I've been there many times myself. Angsty punk rock songs? Bring 'em. Gosh it's good to have you here Dave. BTW, happy 300.

TCK
02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks my friend...I am not sure I would miss this show even if I was on my deathbed. Brace yourself for a week of songs that they ain't gonna play on the radio.

Freedom week. No rules. This may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I for one love the combination of the F-word and the ukulele. I've been there many times myself. Angsty punk rock songs? Bring 'em. Gosh it's good to have you here Dave. BTW, happy 300.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 06:59 PM

I love you two. Look at those smiles. I want to reach out and hug you filthy mouth f**kers. You completely have my blessing to punk out and fill this space with every swear word you thought you could never use on UU. Wait, to hell with my blessing, this is freedom week! Do as you will (please!). And take more vitamin F, it's clearly perking you up!

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks my friend...I am not sure I would miss this show even if I was on my deathbed. Brace yourself for a week of songs that they ain't gonna play on the radio.

I'm counting on it.

PS - I'm glad you're not on your deathbed. Punk rock is good for what ails ya.

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
I'm free to choose it even if it hurts.

Best version of this song I've ever heard hands down. I love the intro and outro. This couldn't be better Rex.

Hippie Dribble
02-16-2014, 08:34 PM
This song is precious to me for a couple of reasons...

[TCK RULE EMPLOYED]

First, the guy who wrote it. Pete Seeger is my Hero of heroes. Always will be. I really only discovered jazz age songs only in the last year or so. Before that, I played folk music. And pretty much every folk song I ever learned I learned from him. He not only inspired me to play but to sing along. He stood for everything that is good in this world and spent his lifetime turning it into reality. I still can't believe he's gone. I kinda thought he'd be with us forever, and in a way, he will be.

Second, the title. Living In The Country. I used to live in the country. When I married Eugenie we moved out to the sticks. Lived off the grid. Grew vegetables and fruit. Raised animals. Picked flowers. Smelt the fresh air and appreciated the noiseless ideal that we had. It was freedom in its purest essence. But now we are separated and I am living in the city. I don't belong here, it is like a foreign land and I am wallowing. I cannot get used to it. I am weighed down by grief, loss, too much noise and the gazes of too many people. Sometime I hope to find some stable ground again. But until then, I miss the country and, as much as it pains me to confess it, I miss my wife. She still lives in the country and I do not.

This song cried out for me to play it this week. I only wish I could have done it better. It's rough as a cat's tongue but I figure Pete would forgive me.

[TCK RULE UNEMPLOYED]

Thanks for this week Sean and have a great week everyone.

EDIT: I just deleted this video because the performance is shite. Going to upload a new version on a different uke today.

TCK
02-16-2014, 08:52 PM

[TCK RULE EMPLOYED]

First, the guy who wrote it. Pete Seeger is my Hero of heroes. Always will be. I really only discovered jazz age songs only in the last year or so. Before that, I played folk music. And pretty much every folk song I ever learned I learned from him. He not only inspired me to play but to sing along. He stood for everything that is good in this world and spent his lifetime turning it into reality. I still can't believe he's gone. I kinda thought he'd be with us forever, and in a way, he will be.

Second, the title. Living In The Country. I used to live in the country. When I married Eugenie we moved out to the sticks. Lived off the grid. Grew vegetables and fruit. Raised animals. Picked flowers. Smelt the fresh air and appreciated the noiseless ideal that we had. It was freedom in its purest essence. But now we are separated and I am living in the city. I don't belong here, it is like a foreign land and I am wallowing. I cannot get used to it. I am weighed down by grief, loss, too much noise and the gazes of too many people. Sometime I hope to find some stable ground again. But until then, I miss the country and, as much as it pains me to confess it, I miss my wife. She still lives in the country and I do not.

This song cried out for me to play it this week. I only wish I could have done it better. It's rough as a cat's tongue but I figure Pete would forgive me.

[TCK RULE UNEMPLOYED]

So I just wrote a bunch of stuff on the Facebook for you...but I will happily reiterate here. You are the only reason I have made 300 videos my friend- you made that OK, and for that I love ya. This is a stunning tribute to our best...really, a treasure that most will not even understand, and I thank you for it.
Now understand this- there are those of us who hold you in our arms...those vast arms of the interwebs, and we think, and we pray, for your freedom. You will find that country Life again...may not be Tasi, but you will get there. Of this I am sure. Thanks for the song and the thinking as always-
Lefty

ukuleledaddy
02-16-2014, 09:12 PM

[TCK RULE EMPLOYED]

[TCK RULE UNEMPLOYED]

Jon, I am thrilled you are with us this week but heart sick to hear about you and Eugene. I didn't know. My sincere condolences.

I grew up in the city but longed for and sought the country, the mountains, the natural spaces. Those are the only places I ever felt free and truly connected to my soul. Reading your words made me remember a song I used to listen to all the time as I drove towards Yosemite; Be Free by Loggins & Messina.

This song you shared is a jewel in this play list. I was hoping for a good dose of Pete Seeger. I've only scratched the surface of his output but I'm greatly enjoying each discovery. And for your playing, well, I only hope that someday I can turn out something as "rough" as that.

Here's to finding stable ground again.

Rustyy
02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Uh oh, it's me after all this serious stuff. Eugene, you are a star.
To lighten the mood a bit:
My last entry for week 104 was a Kinks song, and so is this one, from 1978, on the album "Misfits".
This gentleman has experienced a different sort of freedom, as eventually does his wife.

I had to change a word to make it more P.C., probably could have changed a couple more.

http://youtu.be/5NUmJnNE5Hw

pabrizzer
02-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Ben Harper song. I don't agree with him.
I believe there are many roads to freedom.
But I like the song.
One Road To Freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPztdNTA7WQ

mythinformed
02-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Great theme, I'd been looking at coming away from here for a while after the last Season and concentrating on tabs (just one of my weak points) and then I realised that I may nearly have something for this Season albeit a short novelty wartime based theme song re liberation in Europe.

Btw Imo.............TRUE FREEDOM COMES FROM WITHIN ......You won't find it geographically or in material things or even from other people.........ask the majority who are tied/bound to their possessions in this material world.

redpaul1
02-16-2014, 11:56 PM
In another life, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was commissioned by the UN to produce a global index of human freedom. I gradually came to realise I was just a pawn in a wicked game of chess, but I did get to spend a year working in NYC.

bhart
02-17-2014, 02:27 AM

WOW!!! Wonderful interpretation of one of my favorite songs. I really enjoyed it.

greenie44
02-17-2014, 02:38 AM
When I heard the theme, I had one song in mind, but it seemed too long (still might do it, though). Then I jumped to Closer To Free by the BoDeans, and then on to this song, also by the BoDeans and a long time favorite of mine. I think it is about freedom - the freedom we all have when we are young. And the freedom to Dream. And the freedom to get out of town, a common enough feeling when you are from Waukesha, or Hibbing, or Toledo.

If you lived in Chicago in the late 80s, you knew the BoDeans - they were the most popular band in town. Still love them, and they are still together, although Sammy left the band a year ago or so. Hope you all enjoy this one.

http://youtu.be/Jr6Tq_AdD50

UkeyDave
02-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Well I for one was disgusted by the amount of times you said FAT. That was the F word right?
great job Dave.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 05:07 AM
Great theme, I'd been looking at coming away from here for a while after the last Season and concentrating on tabs (just one of my weak points) and then I realised that I may nearly have something for this Season albeit a short novelty wartime based theme song re liberation in Europe.

I tell myself this each and every week! I wish you and I could get together, buckle down and work out some tabs. I personally find it very hard to discipline myself enough to break away from just having fun in the seasons and push myself to play better.

frisbee fred
02-17-2014, 05:13 AM
Great theme, Sean. Wish I had the time and the talent to do a leouden-like video with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KO0_ClyIjc&feature=youtu.be

UkeyDave
02-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Thank you Ukuleledaddy for a truly wonderful theme. As soon as I heard the theme this was the first song that came to mind even without your addition of it in your introduction. Pete Seeger was such a marvellous inspiration I felt I just had to do this song.
Sorry about my shaky voice in the second half of this but I think I tried to oversing it instead of just letting it flow out of my mouth naturally if that makes sense. Anyway that’s the beauty of the seasons. Just get it done and get it out there.
Please DON’T watch passively. Sing along, tap along, play along just do something along. Hey and if you can do all of them together - well then, you’ll be my new hero. ;-)
Oh - and its in BEEEEEEEEE Flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO4vp7Ar-cM

Raygf
02-17-2014, 07:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0Xx5ZTf2k

pabrizzer
02-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Ray, Ray!
That was bloody BRILLIANT mate!

This is one of the earliest videos I did here on YouTube. And before I joined this wonderful group here at the seasons.
Pete Seeger was a steadfast man.
Not aggressive. But still a fighter and not one to back down.
But not one to waver and change because his stance wasn't "popular".
A man of substance and integrity.

Here is Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heu81BcLEs4

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Uh oh, it's me after all this serious stuff. Eugene, you are a star.
To lighten the mood a bit:
My last entry for week 104 was a Kinks song, and so is this one, from 1978, on the album "Misfits".
This gentleman has experienced a different sort of freedom, as eventually does his wife.

I had to change a word to make it more P.C., probably could have changed a couple more.

Rusty, you might know that I love The Kinks. I've never heard this one! Thanks so much for turning me onto it. GREAT song and a wonderful addition to freedom week. Thanks you.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Ben Harper song. I don't agree with him.
I believe there are many roads to freedom.
But I like the song.
One Road To Freedom

Brian, you've got a great vocal range. I was never aware of that until now. Beautiful. I like the continuous easy strum you used throughout. Really nice groove.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 08:00 AM
In another life, a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was commissioned by the UN to produce a global index of human freedom. I gradually came to realise I was just a pawn in a wicked game of chess, but I did get to spend a year working in NYC.

Sounds like you've led quite the interesting life. Man of intrigue. I can't say I've ever worked for the UN in matters of global importance, but I've sure felt like a pawn at times.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 08:04 AM
When I heard the theme, I had one song in mind, but it seemed too long (still might do it, though). Then I jumped to Closer To Free by the BoDeans, and then on to this song, also by the BoDeans and a long time favorite of mine. I think it is about freedom - the freedom we all have when we are young. And the freedom to Dream. And the freedom to get out of town, a common enough feeling when you are from Waukesha, or Hibbing, or Toledo.

If you lived in Chicago in the late 80s, you knew the BoDeans - they were the most popular band in town. Still love them, and they are still together, although Sammy left the band a year ago or so. Hope you all enjoy this one.

I like the BoDeans but have barely scratched the surface of what they have to offer. This is great. I love the multi tracked vocals and solo. This is really, really good. Now you've inspired me to become a BoDeans fan.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Great theme, Sean. Wish I had the time and the talent to do a leouden-like video with this.

I'm a big Tom Petty fan (got to see him at The Fillmore in SF in '97!). I hadn't thought of this song when I came up with the theme, but, duh! Yeah, this is perfect. Lovely, easy vocals here Fred and the strumming is spot on. Thanks for including this in the play list!

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Thank you Ukuleledaddy for a truly wonderful theme. As soon as I heard the theme this was the first song that came to mind even without your addition of it in your introduction. Pete Seeger was such a marvellous inspiration I felt I just had to do this song.
Sorry about my shaky voice in the second half of this but I think I tried to oversing it instead of just letting it flow out of my mouth naturally if that makes sense. Anyway that’s the beauty of the seasons. Just get it done and get it out there.
Please DON’T watch passively. Sing along, tap along, play along just do something along. Hey and if you can do all of them together - well then, you’ll be my new hero. ;-)
Oh - and its in BEEEEEEEEE Flat.

Oh Dave, so glad you brought this song in this week. I was hoping that people wouldn't shy away from it since I put that bit in the intro vid. I love the pick/strum pattern you're doing here. I often find it very difficult to get my fingers to cooperate that way. Picking one string at a time is one thing, but when I ask them to pick two strings at a time they just go all over the place.
I wasn't playing or singing along because I have two kids pulling at me but I will be back to play with you later today for sure. Again, thank you.

peewee
02-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Freedom Week needs some Reggae!
Here's a tune that Peter Tosh repurposed from a spiritual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner_Man) that has been performed by The Weavers, Nina Simone, etc.
Downpressor Man (http://youtu.be/4oD63-EJW5Y). He's the anti-freedom man, and this is a song that looks forward to him getting his comeuppance. I skipped a bunch of verses that work fine when you have a backup band and you're Peter Tosh, but maybe make the tune too long for little old me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCchg4SGVo&feature=share&list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCchg4SGVo&feature=share&list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
02-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Free will. Free love. Free verse. Freestyle. Free trial. Freedom Trail. Free thinker. Don't fence me in. Don't tread on me. Freebie. Freaky. Set me free. Let my people go. Let it all hang out. Freed from jail. Jailbird. Free as a bird. Freebird!

Free the Seasonista 7! Freedom of speech. Freedom of association.

Just a little free association for ya. No charge. :)

Thanks, great idea in that list and no one appears to have done it yet.
I have been away over the weekend and only just picked up the theme.
I have download chords and played it twice, and recorded both, picked the best one and now need the PC Gods to be with me to render the video and upload it. The PC has already shut down on me once during the rendering :^(

I might even try to do the song which was my first idea, but the version I have found so far has a key change to chords I don't know ... yet !

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X0Xx5ZTf2k

Whoa. I wish I could sing like that. This is heart felt and powerful. This song has been done by some of the truly greats and your version stands up tall. I love this.

Hippie Dribble
02-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Whoa. I wish I could sing like that. This is heart felt and powerful. This song has been done by some of the truly greats and your version stands up tall. I love this.

Here here. Ray you are amazing. Bravo.

Raygf
02-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Here here. Ray you are amazing. Bravo.

Thank you both very much.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
02-17-2014, 11:42 AM
http://youtu.be/qI9u5VBST20
Don't fence me in. I spotted the title in Ukecan1's freeform list of ideas earlier in the thread.
I didn't realise that this song was subject to so much dispute regarding who wrote it, but then probably a lot of songs have been.
It doesn't seem to be from the show I thought it was from. I think I have heard it a lot ont he radio [Junior Choice probably]
This recording was only the second time I had played or sung it, reading the words and chords straight off the screen. I think I might work on it so I can include it in my repertoire [if I ever need one!]

Dougf
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
It's pretty rare for me to be able to post more than one video in a season, but President's day has given me the freedom to do just that. This is a song by Victoria Vox, which she usually introduces by saying that it's about a sexually frustrated tugboat that wants to get it on with an ocean going vessel. Great metaphor. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatfN-Nv1fo

Hippie Dribble
02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Maybe a strange choice of song for a "Freedom" theme, but I guess there is a kind of freedom that some folks seek in death. Big thanks to TCK for turning me onto this one. First outing for my new Ono baritone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2qIQQ01pg

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Freedom Week needs some Reggae!
Here's a tune that Peter Tosh repurposed from a spiritual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner_Man) that has been performed by The Weavers, Nina Simone, etc.
Downpressor Man (http://youtu.be/4oD63-EJW5Y). He's the anti-freedom man, and this is a song that looks forward to him getting his comeuppance. I skipped a bunch of verses that work fine when you have a backup band and you're Peter Tosh, but maybe make the tune too long for little old me.

One of my favorites from Peter (Tosh & Orth). This week is shaping up nicely. There's a great diversity. Thanks for bringing the reggae!
This is very well done.
I used to DJ a reggae night at a bar in Santa Monica and I played this a lot. Thanks PeeWee!

max2173
02-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Please don't make me follow Eugene!!!

Here's mine, it had to be done this week. I'm surprised it hasn't been already, unless I missed it! The guitar in the background and the recorder were both played by me.

http://youtu.be/-amU1N_qSt8

New microphone being used here, hopefully you can tell the difference.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Don't fence me in. I spotted the title in Ukecan1's freeform list of ideas earlier in the thread.
I didn't realise that this song was subject to so much dispute regarding who wrote it, but then probably a lot of songs have been.
It doesn't seem to be from the show I thought it was from. I think I have heard it a lot ont he radio [Junior Choice probably]
This recording was only the second time I had played or sung it, reading the words and chords straight off the screen. I think I might work on it so I can include it in my repertoire [if I ever need one!]

Yes! I was really hoping this song would make an appearance this week. Thanks for joining the party! Nice one.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
It's pretty rare for me to be able to post more than one video in a season, but President's day has given me the freedom to do just that. This is a song by Victoria Vox, which she usually introduces by saying that it's about a sexually frustrated tugboat that wants to get it on with an ocean going vessel. Great metaphor. :)

Hooray for President's Day! Glad you got a little more fun time this week.
That's some smooth playing Doug!
Great song. I've read a number of stories to my kids about tug boats, this is a first!

southside mike
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze92ZN0j1RY
This one is about a young mans transition from a child to a man and the freedom that brings.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Maybe a strange choice of song for a "Freedom" theme, but I guess there is a kind of freedom that some folks seek in death. Big thanks to TCK for turning me onto this one. First outing for my new Ono baritone.

Beaut of a uke there Jon.
This makes three of my ukulele heroes doing this song now. This is just so good. I'll be watching this over and over, hoping to learn it myself. Beautifully played intro and solo. Sung with heart and soul. Thanks so much for this.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Please don't make me follow Eugene!!!

Here's mine, it had to be done this week. I'm surprised it hasn't been already, unless I missed it! The guitar in the background and the recorder were both played by me.

New microphone being used here, hopefully you can tell the difference.

Lovely intro! This is very well done Max. Your solo was great, and the recorder is a nice touch. Love this.
I think Librainian is the only one (I know of) who picked up on the little "clue" to the this week's theme in the vid I did for season 104. I tagged on part of the chorus of Redemption Song to the end of that tune. Yes, this song had to be done and I'm so glad you brought this!

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
This one is about a young mans transition from a child to a man and the freedom that brings.

This is a cool sounding song. I particularly like what you did at the ending there, and those slides. Great job. Never heard this one before but I like it.

Jazzbanjorex
02-17-2014, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMIBGnAaOs&feature=youtu.be

UkeCan1
02-17-2014, 05:21 PM
http://youtu.be/qI9u5VBST20 Don't fence me in. I spotted the title in Ukecan1's freeform list of ideas earlier in the thread.

Haha, that was no list of ideas - that was just me free-associating on freedom. :-)

And yeah, a couple of song titles came up in there. I'm glad you did this one. It needed to be done. Happy my random blatherings helped.

Good job, Lumpster! Very smooth. Your singing is especially good here too. Love this song - would be a great addition to your repertoire.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Good job, Lumpster!

Lumpy, you have one of the greatest UU names of all time, but would you mind if I also on occasion called you Lumpster? It does have a certain ring to it.

UkeCan1
02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Entry #2: a song about freedom of choice. And uke playing. Sung to my band mate on Valentine's Day.

http://youtu.be/Ip6g0EzV6RU

uke4ia
02-17-2014, 06:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lzTWuKXmII

This is an original song called "Big Sky" about the freedom of flying. It's not about Montana. Like many of my songs, it took a full quarter century between when I came up with the song and when I got around to finishing the lyrics. I think I need to lower the key, I never like the way my voice sounds on this song. I swiped the "Hitchhiker's Guide" idea of accomplishing flight by throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

When I wrote this back in the mid-'80s, I still had delusions of someday being a rock star, and thought this would be a big hit. Which would inspire Weird Al Yankovic to parody it as "Pigsty, pigsty, I slip and fall into a pigsty, pigsty."

Lyrics:

The sun came out, and so I took a walk
To feel the wind against my face
My worries shriveled in the light of day
I stuffed them all back down into their place
Head back, I gaze into a wall of blue
That stretches on beyond my farthest sight
Rock in my path, I trip, I miss the ground
And I go on hurtling off into a great cerulean height

In a big sky, big sky
I fall headlong into a big sky, big sky
In a big sky, big sky
I swoop and soar within a big sky, big sky

I'm far above the realm of any hawk or dove
Up where only the airplanes try their wings
From down below the bottom of the clouds look flat
But up here I'm climbing hills, I'm sliding gullies, crossing deep ravines
Over mountaintops and seas I'm free to go just where I please
Carried by the swirling breeze above the world of men
Propelled by sheer abandon without a thought of ever landing
I'm staying up here and I'm never coming down again

In a big sky, big sky
I fall headlong into a big sky, big sky
In a big sky, big sky
I swoop and soar within a big sky, big sky

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMIBGnAaOs&feature=youtu.be
I said before about another song you did, and again it rings true; this is the best version of this song I've ever heard. Fantastic vocals and great playing = Rex. Thanks for this.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Entry #2: a song about freedom of choice. And uke playing. Sung to my band mate on Valentine's Day.

Ahhhh. Ha ha! The cutest thing ever!! I love this. In the midst of some heavy songs and philosophical banter, this is just what this week needs. I love it so much.

ukuleledaddy
02-17-2014, 06:59 PM
This is an original song called "Big Sky" about the freedom of flying. It's not about Montana. Like many of my songs, it took a full quarter century between when I came up with the song and when I got around to finishing the lyrics. I think I need to lower the key, I never like the way my voice sounds on this song. I swiped the "Hitchhiker's Guide" idea of accomplishing flight by throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

When I wrote this back in the mid-'80s, I still had delusions of someday being a rock star, and thought this would be a big hit. Which would inspire Weird Al Yankovic to parody it as "Pigsty, pigsty, I slip and fall into a pigsty, pigsty."

Turn it up man! This is great. For one, I think this would have been a big hit. I could just picture Weird Al singing "Pigsty, pigsty"! Thanks for bringing in this superb original. "I'm staying up here and I'm never coming down again", FREEDOM!

pabrizzer
02-17-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm Free to Do What I Want. Cha and Pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrHy5bMF2s

New song for Charlie. 20 minutes to practice then we record. First time we have one down well enough to keep on the first take.

mythinformed
02-18-2014, 12:05 AM
I remember when I first started out learning to play the guitar, I had to rely on buying books like Burt Weedon's 'Play In A Day' (I never did) or the Keith Richards 'Chord Book' where I almost broke my finger joints trying to get into the chord shapes written down. My other options were playing along to vinyl records where there was great risk of scratching them where I kept re-playing them over and over to try to get that riff.

These days you can accelerate your learning speed and actually watch how they get into those difficult chord shapes and if you miss a riff keep clicking back with the mouse until you do get it. Even if you still don't get it there are many others who may explain it in easier terms that you can understand.

Heres to FREE CHORDS, FREE TUTORIALS, FREE TABS, and those who give their time so FREELY in passing their Knowledge on so that these days we really are able to 'Play In A Day' !!

Cheers

wee_ginga_yin
02-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Oh Flower of Scotland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc0b0lSyNnw) has become the unofficial National Anthem of Scotland,
and when 70,000 people sing it out at the start of a football game it is something
to be heard.

Scotland will hold a referendum this year and there is a possibility
that Scotland will become independent. For a bit of history please have a look

At the play called The Cheviot the Stag and the black black oil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-r_J14n100) which deals
with the highland clearances and the exploitation of the Scottish people.
I recommend having a look at it for the acerbic wit and the self depreciating humour,
many of the songs are a great laugh.

The marriage between England and Scotland has been an uneasy one. Scotland
is the neglected wife, and England, the husband who does not care, who buys
her silence, and keeps her in subjugation.

http://youtu.be/7rHGZ62v-I0

we tigers
02-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Can't help writing a introduction.

Earlier this week I read Bazmaz's rant about the ukulele always being pigeon holed as the inherent happy instrument. I replied and I wrote that we always like to record 'different' songs. Songs that are depressing, or are about heavy subjects, or are picked from our pretty weird record collection.

A few days later I'm here. At home alone and recording a stupid happy song...
I couldn't help myself. It is stronger than I am. Last week there was a three episode talkshow on the BBC called Danny Baker's Rocking Decades about the seventies, eighties and nineties. I especially liked the episode about the nineties. Probably the decade that for me was most important for my musical education. Not just because of the music that was made then, but also because of the music from other decades that I discovered in that period. And of course because of my age...

Prima Scream was of course featured in Danny Baker's their episode. I don't know if they meant anything over in the US, but in Europe they were quite populair. Especially in the UK Primal Scream was big. The huge hit song for them was Loaded. A song from 1991 that is actually nothing more than a good beat, a well chosen sample from a film (Easy Rider) and a chord sequence that is basically Sympathy for the Devil by the Stones. It lasts for seven minutes and is pretty boring. They trimmed it to 4,5 for a single, but still it's nothing much.

But man it works! When I read the theme for this week I immediately had this song in mind. And I couldn't get rid of it, how hard I tried. So I just had to go with it, and record it. So here it is. I didn't record the vocals, because I can't do a decent gospel choir ;). But you can sing a long if you want to. Just belt "I'm gonna loosen up!" over the horn section and you're there!

The liquid light footage I found on youtube. It's from 1969 and its made by a certain Cecil Hoyt.

http://youtu.be/BqMvg9JvzKk

Hope you like it.

And don't worry; expect a stripped down depressing duet with Saskia later this Season. Maybe tonight. ;)

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
02-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Lumpy, you have one of the greatest UU names of all time, but would you mind if I also on occasion called you Lumpster? It does have a certain ring to it.

You can call me what you like .... so long as it isn't late for dinner.

Odd as it may seem, Lumpy Wafflesquirt is not my real name ;^)

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 06:41 AM

New song for Charlie. 20 minutes to practice then we record. First time we have one down well enough to keep on the first take.

I'm free to play my uke with my friends. Yes! I'm beaming over here. I was sure this song would come up and I can't tell you how glad I am to you two together bringing this in. A Pa & Cha first take. I would never have guessed you nailed this in only one take if you hadn't said so. Excellent.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 06:58 AM
Oh Flower of Scotland[/URL] has become the unofficial National Anthem of Scotland,
and when 70,000 people sing it out at the start of a football game it is something
to be heard.

At the play called The Cheviot the Stag and the black black oil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-r_J14n100) which deals
I recommend having a look at it for the acerbic wit and the self depreciating humour,

I've never heard this song and I'm happy to have this in the play list. Believe it or not, Scotland was on my mind as I came up with this theme, as were so many other things.
The effects you use I think really add a lot to the song. It gives the sense of the ghosts of generations past bringing this song in. Very well done Rob.
When my wife was a child, her family's home was taken by the government in the name of eminent domain. They were screwed and forced to sell their home at bad time in the housing market. They lost money and that moment in their lives has affected everything since. Sad.

lelouden
02-18-2014, 07:51 AM
i remember when i first started out learning to play the guitar, i had to rely on buying books like burt weedon's 'play in a day' (i never did) or the keith richards 'chord book' where i almost broke my finger joints trying to get into the chord shapes written down. My other options were playing along to vinyl records where there was great risk of scratching them where i kept re-playing them over and over to try to get that riff.

These days you can accelerate your learning speed and actually watch how they get into those difficult chord shapes and if you miss a riff keep clicking back with the mouse until you do get it. Even if you still don't get it there are many others who may explain it in easier terms that you can understand.

Heres to free chords, free tutorials, free tabs, and those who give their time so freely in passing their knowledge on so that these days we really are able to 'play in a day' !!

Cheers

Here Here!

uke4ia
02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOBi-OCQcM4

This is "Held Prisoner", the most honest song I've ever written. It tells a true story. Two other things about the song: 1. Except for the bridge, all the music was originally written in the '80s on a Martin soprano, including the instrumental stuff at the end. I repurposed the music from an older song of mine. 2. This song includes the "chord with no name". The song opens with a chord (0234) that just includes the notes D, G, and C#. I have no idea what to call this chord. Dmaj7sus4(no5)? G5(#11)?

UkeyDave
02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Oh Flower of Scotland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc0b0lSyNnw) has become the unofficial National Anthem of Scotland,

In the interest of balance. There are alternative views HERE (http://www.scotsman.com/news/anti-english-anthem-holding-scotland-back-1-793767) Rob.

02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I remember when I first started out learning to play the guitar, I had to rely on buying books like Burt Weedon's 'Play In A Day' (I never did) or the Keith Richards 'Chord Book' where I almost broke my finger joints trying to get into the chord shapes written down. My other options were playing along to vinyl records where there was great risk of scratching them where I kept re-playing them over and over to try to get that riff.

Heres to FREE CHORDS, FREE TUTORIALS, FREE TABS, and those who give their time so FREELY in passing their Knowledge on so that these days we really are able to 'Play In A Day' !!

Cheers
absolutely!

play in a day - you really made me laugh there!

i too remember learning guitar from a book - i don't have it anymore, i wish i could remember the title and author... oh well it was very good! and i bought guitar chord song books for styles i liked or bands i liked. but now - wow! having the internet did not STOP me buying a gazillion books for uke! i do like to have a proper book rather than doing everything on or from a screen... but blimey there is so much stuff online! the key thing for me is no matter how obscure the song, it matters not, if no one has posted chords for it anywhere, if you have a link to a vid of it, or if you have any audio for it, you can go to chordify and get it to come up with some chords. at first i found chordify very frustrating because it does show lots of chords that are not necessarily really there! lol! but some comments here on the seasons a little while ago encouraged me to try using it in a different way, as a starting point, as a sort of clue, to work from and (usually) simplify down what it says, into a classic repeating chord pattern or two - it's enabled me to get playing some songs no one had done chords or tab or bass tab to, a good few of which i have posted as part of the seasons.

for a kid with a guitar book in the seventies THIS IS SCIENCE FICTION. THIS IS CAPTAIN KIRK SAYING "COMPUTER, GIVE ME THE CHORDS TO THAT SONG I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE HAS DONE THE CHORDS FOR" and the computer does it! i mean - grooooooooooooooovy baby!

Hippie Dribble
02-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Well, I've been a bit maudlin this week so I figure it's time to get happy. I was inspired by Brian's ripper take on this old spiritual to give it a go myself. Really tried to tap into the joy of the lyric and get inside the song a bit. I used my Big Rusty tenor reso for some extra punch and guts. Cheers all. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmni47cUYRM

CeeJay
02-18-2014, 03:07 PM
This is directed fairly and squarely at The Cloverdale Kiddy thing person who said.....see below.........No, he did not say "See Below" you need to see below to see what it was that he said , or rather sang......down there .....\/..go on ....\/

Well I for one was disgusted by the amount of times you said FAT. That was the F word right?
great job Dave.

Yeah ....I quite agree with you Mr Dave ...I for one was highly offended ...what with me being a Fat B*****d and all........ooo'er ...I just said it too.....!! ;)

CeeJay
02-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Haha, that was no list of ideas - that was just me free-associating on freedom. :-)

And yeah, a couple of song titles came up in there. I'm glad you did this one. It needed to be done. Happy my random blatherings helped.

Good job, Lumpster! Very smooth. Your singing is especially good here too. Love this song - would be a great addition to your repertoire.

Wha ..? It was this list that made me do "Freebird" .....In fact I raced to do it...and should maybe have chilled a bit .

TCK
02-18-2014, 04:29 PM
If I could do this, I would be posting tonight. This is GOLD Jon-O...solid gold. No surprise, what I had a crack at sounded like silverware falling down stairs.
Well, I've been a bit maudlin this week so I figure it's time to get happy. I was inspired by Brian's ripper take on this old spiritual to give it a go myself. Really tried to tap into the joy of the lyric and get inside the song a bit. I used my Big Rusty tenor reso for some extra punch and guts. Cheers all. :)

CeeJay
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
to be heard.

http://youtu.be/7rHGZ62v-I0

Oh ,come on ....don't lump all of us English bazzers together with the Politicians of Westminster ....many of whom are Scots themselves ....fair play ?

decaturcomp
02-18-2014, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVJkfimxc8o

CeeJay
02-18-2014, 05:04 PM
You can call me what you like .... so long as it isn't late for dinner.

Odd as it may seem, Lumpy Wafflesquirt is not my real name ;^)

Ahh you say that ...you may believe that ...but it is nowwwwww.......

TCK
02-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Tonight, I lay down a gauntlet quietly...because he has done this for me once before and I still owe him a token of my esteem, but I know he likes a challenge.
My absolute favorite song of all time is a perfect fit for this week, and I cannot do it. I wrote a 30 page paper on this song in grad school (grad school is awesome for indulging the whim of grad students), and I cannot play it. I cannot even come close, and I feel like my hands have been cut off...
'Course I am still sick and whatever I play sounds like garbage (not a big surprise), but I know there is one person who can do the song I wanted to do this week the minute I saw the theme.
Ralf. The only uke that matters right now, as I revel in defeat.
You out there mate?
You are a UUVIP on me next go-round if you do this one (because I can just step in and do that- no rules!)
And my favorite person in the world.
What say you?
Stay free- Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6BzsgOLAw

29moons
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Appropriate week considering that Bob 2 from DEVO passed this week. Freedom of Choice is a great album. I already have two songs in the work so another week will have to work for a DEVO dedication. Bob is jamming now with Alan Meyers who was the best ever drummer for DEVO who passed away last year.

TCK
02-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Sigh- sad as heck innit?
Appropriate week considering that Bob 2 from DEVO passed this week. Freedom of Choice is a great album. I already have two songs the work so another week will have to work for a DEVO dedication. Bob is jamming now with Alan Meyers who was the best ever drummer for DEVO who passed away last year.

decaturcomp
02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Sigh- sad as heck innit?
Didn't know and sorry, too. This is how I remember them:
setlist

Wiggly World
Pink Pussycat
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Too Much Paranoias
Praying Hands
Uncontrollable Urge
Mongoloid
Jocko Homo
Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin')
Come Back Jonee
Gut Feeling (Slap Your Mammy)

decaturcomp
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxgJJ1KnYvc

TCK
02-18-2014, 06:10 PM
DUDE- You did the Cooke. The Redding? The everyone? This has been covered by every musician I hold dear (my favortie is Ken Parker)...and yet, you gave it new life and made it even better. God love ya- this is fantastic.
Oh yeas- and #6 is why I am the way I am.

29moons
02-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Q. Are We Not Men? A. We Are DEVO! Was the first album I ever bought with my own money. That was even before the Beatles or the Monkees.

Didn't know and sorry, too. This is how I remember them:
setlist

Wiggly World
Pink Pussycat
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Too Much Paranoias
Praying Hands
Uncontrollable Urge
Mongoloid
Jocko Homo
Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin')
Come Back Jonee
Gut Feeling (Slap Your Mammy)

bonesigh
02-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Here is a cover of one of the songs that came to mind for this season. From one of my favorite children's movies. I'm still trying to recover my voice from having had the flu. I'm not recovering as quickly as I would like. I've gone back to work half days too so I'm kinda tired. I've watched most of the video's this season so far and I'm always impressed by the talent we have here in the seasons (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw-xQKunS-M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtvw_jkcOb--odK8_2JYyvw

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Can't help writing a introduction.

Earlier this week I read Bazmaz's rant about the ukulele always being pigeon holed as the inherent happy instrument. I replied and I wrote that we always like to record 'different' songs. Songs that are depressing, or are about heavy subjects, or are picked from our pretty weird record collection.

A few days later I'm here. At home alone and recording a stupid happy song...
I couldn't help myself. It is stronger than I am. Last week there was a three episode talkshow on the BBC called Danny Baker's Rocking Decades about the seventies, eighties and nineties. I especially liked the episode about the nineties. Probably the decade that for me was most important for my musical education. Not just because of the music that was made then, but also because of the music from other decades that I discovered in that period. And of course because of my age...

Prima Scream was of course featured in Danny Baker's their episode. I don't know if they meant anything over in the US, but in Europe they were quite populair. Especially in the UK Primal Scream was big. The huge hit song for them was Loaded. A song from 1991 that is actually nothing more than a good beat, a well chosen sample from a film (Easy Rider) and a chord sequence that is basically Sympathy for the Devil by the Stones. It lasts for seven minutes and is pretty boring. They trimmed it to 4,5 for a single, but still it's nothing much.

But man it works! When I read the theme for this week I immediately had this song in mind. And I couldn't get rid of it, how hard I tried. So I just had to go with it, and record it. So here it is. I didn't record the vocals, because I can't do a decent gospel choir ;). But you can sing a long if you want to. Just belt "I'm gonna loosen up!" over the horn section and you're there!

The liquid light footage I found on youtube. It's from 1969 and its made by a certain Cecil Hoyt.

Hope you like it.

And don't worry; expect a stripped down depressing duet with Saskia later this Season. Maybe tonight. ;)

First of all, this is the perfect video to follow Rob. Secondly, oh my God this is brilliant! This week just keeps getting better and better. Truly this is one of my all time favorite seasons vids. From the sample to the psychedelic blobs to the wonderful ukulele stylings and the melodica. Just fantastic. Can't wait to see what you and Saskia come up with together.
Now I'm going to go do what I want, get loaded and have some fun.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
This is "Held Prisoner", the most honest song I've ever written. It tells a true story. Two other things about the song: 1. Except for the bridge, all the music was originally written in the '80s on a Martin soprano, including the instrumental stuff at the end. I repurposed the music from an older song of mine. 2. This song includes the "chord with no name". The song opens with a chord (0234) that just includes the notes D, G, and C#. I have no idea what to call this chord. Dmaj7sus4(no5)? G5(#11)?

This may be the most honest song you've ever written, it's certainly the best song I've heard you play. It's intricate and striking. I love this. The ending is a great ride. Thanks for this.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Maudlin or not, I'm just glad to be spending so much with you this week Jon.
Time to get happy? This down right punchy. Got me tapping my toes and smiling wide here in Portland. You give your heart and soul and I can't thank you enough for that. Thanks for the fancy finger work my friend. Glad to see you beaming.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVJkfimxc8o
Oh yes, thank you so much for this Alan. Keep on walking, keep on going. It amazes me what Nelson went through and yet he came through not only in one piece but preaching peace. Loving this.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Tonight, I lay down a gauntlet quietly...because he has done this for me once before and I still owe him a token of my esteem, but I know he likes a challenge.
My absolute favorite song of all time is a perfect fit for this week, and I cannot do it. I wrote a 30 page paper on this song in grad school (grad school is awesome for indulging the whim of grad students), and I cannot play it. I cannot even come close, and I feel like my hands have been cut off...
'Course I am still sick and whatever I play sounds like garbage (not a big surprise), but I know there is one person who can do the song I wanted to do this week the minute I saw the theme.
Ralf. The only uke that matters right now, as I revel in defeat.
You out there mate?
You are a UUVIP on me next go-round if you do this one (because I can just step in and do that- no rules!)
And my favorite person in the world.
What say you?
Stay free- Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6BzsgOLAw

OK, I really like this song. I know you won't but I would love to hear you do this Dave. I'd love to read your paper. So, Ralf, BUMP.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Appropriate week considering that Bob 2 from DEVO passed this week. Freedom of Choice is a great album. I already have two songs in the work so another week will have to work for a DEVO dedication. Bob is jamming now with Alan Meyers who was the best ever drummer for DEVO who passed away last year.

Oh man, I had no idea. I knew about Alan Meyers. I came THIS close to doing Mongoloid for Alan's last season. Damn.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 07:53 PM

One of the songs I was really hoping to hear this week. This is as tender as I've ever heard you play and sing. Soulful. You evoke a tired warrior who, despite the pain and sheer exhaustion, simply won't give up his dream. Keep on walking.
BTW, have you ever heard Ben Sollee's version? Wonderful.

thesillydave
02-18-2014, 07:54 PM
a little entry for ....freedom....

http://youtu.be/no_qkegGAIA
cheers all!

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Here is a cover of one of the songs that came to mind for this season. From one of my favorite children's movies. I'm still trying to recover my voice from having had the flu. I'm not recovering as quickly as I would like. I've gone back to work half days too so I'm kinda tired. I've watched most of the video's this season so far and I'm always impressed by the talent we have here in the seasons (:

Great song for this season. Powerful and wonderfully played. I've never seen the movie but know some of the songs, though I've never heard this one. Thanks for doing this one for us!

KoaDependent
02-18-2014, 08:05 PM

I had the same thought myself and have been working on a version of Freedom of Choice. Hope to get it recorded Wednesday.

ukuleledaddy
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
a little entry for ....freedom....

cheers all!

Ha ha, nice outfit and background! Perfect. This is a great addition to the play list. Man, that uke sounds nice.

Inksplosive AL
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM
So wait no rules and the winner is picked from a hat? So me a n00blet with maybe 10-15 hours in might actually win that bag of coffee with my best crappy rendition of a song loosely based on freedom? I'm reading this right?

I think its on... maybe.

pabrizzer
02-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Sing it with me folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8FBwANgVaM

Rustyy
02-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Earlier in this season Mythinformed put out a thank you to the suppliers of tutorials, chords etc, then BEV talked about lesser known songs, and how to get by if you want to record them. This was one such case. I couldn't find the lyrics, so had to listen carefully to write them down, and I've probably got some incorrect, especially the line about the stock market. I then ran the youtube clip thru Chord Detect on my ipad, and, after a bit of adjustment, was able to come with something which is, I hope, passable.

"New Song of Freedom" by Chip Taylor

http://youtu.be/sAuWu-mIINM

Following are Chip's comments on this song
"Tibet & China ... the Dalai Lama ...
no furs in celebration

This was something I had read. I put the above words together with a melody that sounded serious. Some stream-of-consciousness blasts that had a nice ring to them followed. After a bit of editing, I felt this might be a song I'd like to sing. One thing that's a bit strange is that I'm facetiously saying a bunch of things I absolutely don't believe in while, on the other hand, truthfully saying some that I do. That's just how those blasts came out, and it felt right to just let it stay that way.
A big challenge was to get from the facetious chorus ("Just let it go, it'll get there on its own") to the one I believe ("Don't let it go, it can't get there on its own"). I did that with the help of some great words from the likes of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Ronald Reagan, Franklin Roosevelt, and Dwight Eisenhower."
------
I didn't have the benefit of such important people to help me, so I just changed the words in the last 2 choruses.
If anybody wants to hear the original, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC770JMb0Uk

wee_ginga_yin
02-18-2014, 10:16 PM
In the interest of balance. There are alternative views HERE (http://www.scotsman.com/news/anti-english-anthem-holding-scotland-back-1-793767) Rob.

Oh ,come on ....don't lump all of us English bazzers together with the Politicians of Westminster ....many of whom are Scots themselves ....fair play ?

Regarding anti-English sentiment in Scottish songs, what about this gem of a verse from the original God save the King

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

Dick Gaughan has suggested that Freedom Come ye all (http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/texts/freecaye.html) might be a better National anthem for Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQEjZgeqZk

mythinformed
02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Regarding anti-English sentiment in Scottish songs, what about this gem of a verse from the original [B]God save the King

Wow and Alex Salmond still wants to keep the pound with the Queens head on ??? Lol

On a more serious note there will never be total freedom and Unity anywhere in the world where strong differing religious beliefs and Intolerance divides its own people. On that, I will here endeth the lesson as I was always taught..... never talk religion and politics down the pub with mates.(It'll only turn nasty). Lol

wee_ginga_yin
02-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Wow and Alex Salmond still wants to keep the pound with the Queens head on ??? Lol

Scotland have always had their own pound Stirling. The troubles I have had trying to
fob scottish notes from the Clydesdale Bank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Clydesdale_Bank_no tes) or Bank of Scotland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Bank_of_Scotland_n otes) in English shops.
The reason for keeping the pound are more economic than political.
In a year the pound has risen against the euro from 1.14 to 1.21

Can I spend Scottish money in England (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/12/can-i-spend-scottish-money-england)

CeeJay
02-19-2014, 01:48 AM
Regarding anti-English sentiment in Scottish songs, what about this gem of a verse from the original God save the King

May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the King.

Dick Gaughan has suggested that Freedom Come ye all (http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/texts/freecaye.html) might be a better National anthem for Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQEjZgeqZk

Bob ....I think that you , Scotland and the Scots population are probably safe from any deliberate and meaningful anti - Scottish sentiment allegedly expressed in this particular anthem ....as nearly the whole British population think that after the first verse the words to subsequent verses are;

Um...ner ner ner nernerner....
ah...ner ner ner nernerner

um oh...God Save The Queen......

crescendo........

Ner ner nahh nah nah
nah nah nah nah ner nah
Dum diddle diddy didle dum
O God save the Queen......:rolleyes:

UkeyDave
02-19-2014, 02:23 AM

May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
God save the King.

I am proud of my English heritage but hereby confirm that I have no wish or indeed know NOT ONE Englishman who would like to CRUSH rebellious Scotsmen.

I'm thinking of changing my UU signature to "Build bridges with steel and extinguish the fire, that's the weapon I desire".
Quite catchy don't you think Rob? ;-)

UkeyDave
02-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Can I spend Scottish money in England (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/12/can-i-spend-scottish-money-england)
Yes but only to buy new cross bars for Wembley.

wee_ginga_yin
02-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Yes but only to buy new cross bars for Wembley.

I see what you did just there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLrfSn4dvc)

But you have to wait to the end of the video to see it.

mythinformed
02-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Scotland have always had their own pound Stirling. The troubles I have had trying to
fob scottish notes from the Clydesdale Bank (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Clydesdale_Bank_no tes) or Bank of Scotland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Bank_of_Scotland_n otes) in English shops.
The reason for keeping the pound are more economic than political.
In a year the pound has risen against the euro from 1.14 to 1.21

Pound stirling is the official currency of the United Kingdom, Pound (pund) Scot was the official currency of the Kingdom of Scotland prior to unification.

Sorry for hijacking, I will get an entry in this week promise. Lol

wee_ginga_yin
02-19-2014, 04:25 AM
I'm thinking of changing my UU signature to "Build bridges with steel and extinguish the fire, that's the weapon I desire".
Quite catchy don't you think Rob? ;-)

I got my signature form an Irishman. The Scottish Steel is that grim determination which I think is very similar to the Finnish SISU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu). Sisu is about taking action against the odds and displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity... and the fire is all about passion... and those two qualities steel/fire are qualities of the spirit, and essential for any reformer to succeed.

Without them nobody knows the second verse of God save the queen :-)

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Sing it with me folks.

Love the strum you've got going on here. This song fits the uke so beautifully doesn't it? Love between my brothers and my sisters. You've done a few wonderfully uplifting songs this week and this sure is one of them. Thank you.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Earlier in this season Mythinformed put out a thank you to the suppliers of tutorials, chords etc, then BEV talked about lesser known songs, and how to get by if you want to record them. This was one such case. I couldn't find the lyrics, so had to listen carefully to write them down, and I've probably got some incorrect, especially the line about the stock market. I then ran the youtube clip thru Chord Detect on my ipad, and, after a bit of adjustment, was able to come with something which is, I hope, passable.

"New Song of Freedom" by Chip Taylor

Following are Chip's comments on this song
"Tibet & China ... the Dalai Lama ...
no furs in celebration

This was something I had read. I put the above words together with a melody that sounded serious. Some stream-of-consciousness blasts that had a nice ring to them followed. After a bit of editing, I felt this might be a song I'd like to sing. One thing that's a bit strange is that I'm facetiously saying a bunch of things I absolutely don't believe in while, on the other hand, truthfully saying some that I do. That's just how those blasts came out, and it felt right to just let it stay that way.
A big challenge was to get from the facetious chorus ("Just let it go, it'll get there on its own") to the one I believe ("Don't let it go, it can't get there on its own"). I did that with the help of some great words from the likes of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Ronald Reagan, Franklin Roosevelt, and Dwight Eisenhower."
------
I didn't have the benefit of such important people to help me, so I just changed the words in the last 2 choruses.
If anybody wants to hear the original, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC770JMb0Uk

I'm glad this conversation has cropped up about the relative ease to find chords theses days and do what we do here each week; learn a new song and put it out there, then move onto the next week and a whole new set of songs. I have a great deal of trouble trying to do a song I can't find the chords to, which is a shame because there are so many. Chord Detect, I'll have to give that a try.

Nice description you gave with this song Rusty. Interesting how you put this together lyrically. Singing out one idea you may not believe in to another that you do. Pete Seeger once said "Isn't that a great thing......, we have the right to wrong", speaking about the freedom of speech and how we can voice our opinions. Nice one.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 04:52 AM
On that, I will here endeth the lesson as I was always taught..... never talk religion and politics down the pub with mates.(It'll only turn nasty). Lol

That is so true. I used to work as a bartender here in The States and I remember well the night George Bush II was elected to a second term. It was all I could do to hold my tongue as some of my regulars cheered. I stayed out of it but there was quite a nasty debate that night.

we tigers
02-19-2014, 05:24 AM
I'm glad this conversation has cropped up about the relative ease to find chords theses days and do what we do here each week; learn a new song and put it out there, then move onto the next week and a whole new set of songs. I have a great deal of trouble trying to do a song I can't find the chords to, which is a shame because there are so many. Chord Detect, I'll have to give that a try.

Nice description you gave with this song Rusty. Interesting how you put this together lyrically. Singing out one idea you may not believe in to another that you do. Pete Seeger once said "Isn't that a great thing......, we have the right to wrong", speaking about the freedom of speech and how we can voice our opinions. Nice one.

Don't know if it's mentioned already, but I often use Chordify.net . It often is not quite right, but it can give some sort of direction when you're figuring out a song.

Cohumulone
02-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest this week. Hope to get in on this one.

UkeyDave
02-19-2014, 06:02 AM
I see what you did just there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLrfSn4dvc)

But you have to wait to the end of the video to see it.

Me too but the English version is much more watchable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTM22xjKXDM) ;-) (Now I'll shut up - I promise because we're all brothers and its good to tease your brother now and again. Long live the banter and I do hope we stay brothers and don't end up being cousins)

wee_ginga_yin
02-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Me too but the English version is much more watchable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTM22xjKXDM) ;-) (Now I'll shut up - I promise because we're all brothers and its good to tease your brother now and again. Long live the banter and I do hope we stay brothers and don't end up being cousins)

That dink over Henry was sublime.
And Eric Cantona's best moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_uzU85htH4) was also a dink.

Let's not score goals against each other... lets make more passes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n3SQTx9-Wc)

UkeyDave
02-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Well as the lyrics say that "Love is free, Free is Love" that makes it a valid entry in my head at least. Well thats my rationale and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPaLoDJQ9Ck

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Well as the lyrics say that "Love is free, Free is Love" that makes it a valid entry in my head at least. Well thats my rationale and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

Quite a valid entry, no question. I find it thrilling to live in a time when gays are fighting for the right to legally marry. Not that you included this song with that in mind, but, given the theme, that is what I was thinking about while watching. Freedom to marry the one you love, to have your love legally validated. A friend with opposing political views from mine once ranted about the California proposition banning gay marriage. He claimed to not care if gays married or not but that the people voted for the proposition and the will of the people should be respected. In my opinion, civil rights should never even be up for a vote.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. I'm glad you brought this song Dave. Wonderful picking here. I really have to work at stuff like that. I really enjoyed this.

02-19-2014, 07:04 AM
So wait no rules and the winner is picked from a hat? So me a n00blet with maybe 10-15 hours in might actually win that bag of coffee with my best crappy rendition of a song loosely based on freedom? I'm reading this right?
yes

aren't the seasons greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Without them nobody knows the second verse of God save the queen :-)
i know all the verses

:cool:

but

:uhoh:

only of the sex pistols' version

;)

mikef
02-19-2014, 07:08 AM
I know UkuleleDaddy likes a live looper track so I couldn't let the man down.

So with a looper pedal under my left foot and a drum machine pedal under my right, I thought I'd have a crack at a 1990 Scottish indie classic... hope you like it :)

http://youtu.be/JoeJpT1nfT8

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I know UkuleleDaddy likes a live looper track so I couldn't let the man down.

So with a looper pedal under my left foot and a drum machine pedal under my right, I thought I'd have a crack at a 1990 Scottish indie classic... hope you like it :)

That's it, I'm getting me a looper pedal. Damn, that was awesome Mike! Thanks for the nod pal, I do love a live looper track. I don't how you do that. For me it would be like patting my head and rubbing my tummy at the same time (been working on that one since I was about ten years old. I'll get there!). You're doing the work of at least four people all at once. Amazing. I LOVE this.
I had forgotten about The Soup Dragon's version of this song. I used to be a DJ at an ice skating rink a long time ago (back when Milli Vanilli and The New Kids On The Block toped the charts). I played this song a lot. It, along with a few others, saved my sanity from that teenage bubble gum crap.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
OK, so I just updated the play list. 43 vids so far and it's only Wednesday morning! You folks are amazing.
I woke up an hour early today to get caught up. I'm just enjoying the crap out of this week. And, of all weeks, I really needed to be engaged with, entertained by, and inspired by all of you. Thanks for giving of yourselves.

Hippie Dribble
02-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest this week. Hope to get in on this one.

LOL! Hilarious! Just lost my morning coffee all over my keyboard...sheesh :)

UkeyDave
02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Is this a freedom song or am I just Blowing in the Wind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEo7qwZZgPQ

Cohumulone
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
LOL! Hilarious! Just lost my morning coffee all over my keyboard...sheesh :)

Heheh. :)

My uncle says that often.

prairieschooner
02-19-2014, 02:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrHy5bMF2s

All I can say is WOW!!! she is great.

pabrizzer
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
All I can say is WOW!!! she is great.

Thank you very much prairieschooner.

I am very biased, but I think so too!

bonesigh
02-19-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't think I need to win anything this week. I'm going to give myself a prize for figuring out a song just by listening to it a million times! I couldn't find any chords on the web! This is a very popular song by a popular lady. I say no more. I've got the chords down now, lots of #'s and 6/9's etc. because I wanted to do it in the original key. Whew, what a load of work but it helps me grow.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 05:12 PM
I don't think I need to win anything this week. I'm going to give myself a prize for figuring out a song just by listening to it a million times! I couldn't find any chords on the web! This is a very popular song by a popular lady. I say no more. I've got the chords down now, lots of #'s and 6/9's etc. because I wanted to do it in the original key. Whew, what a load of work but it helps me grow.

That's awesome! Can't wait to hear it.

Rustyy
02-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Another quick one
As I said on the video "The Freedom of the Open Road"

http://youtu.be/YV7mBdRLjGU

Hippie Dribble
02-19-2014, 06:04 PM
(Going to re-do the Seeger instrumental Sean...on a smoother sounding uke and hopefully, with much smoother playing)

In the meantime this is my last entry for the week, a simple arrangement I made for the classic ol' Cole Porter song, "Don't Fence Me In'. I couldn't work out whether to play it country or jazz style so I wore a chequered shirt and added some minor7th and diminished chords to compromise. :p Thanks again for a wonderful week brother and for pulling me out from under my little black cloud. Cheers everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbZLYRt0Vw

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Is this a freedom song or am I just Blowing in the Wind?

For some reason I keep waiting for those fingers to flip me off.
This is great Dave. A song that really needs to be included in the play list. I'm singing right along with you.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Another quick one
As I said on the video "The Freedom of the Open Road"

Oh super, freedom of the road. This was the first taste of freedom I ever felt, and it was beautiful, "like anything was possible". I love Tom Petty and I've had this song blasting in the car many times. Really nicely played Rusty. Thanks for this.

erivel
02-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Woohoo, I get to participate this week! Missed a few weeks due to, uh…life. Here's a song I've always wanted to learn. Played on the Outdoor uke I got from Season 82 (thank you Tim!). Thanks for hosting this week Sean, great theme!

http://youtu.be/58WuVejSFIc

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 07:38 PM
(Going to re-do the Seeger instrumental Sean...on a smoother sounding uke and hopefully, with much smoother playing)

In the meantime this is my last entry for the week, a simple arrangement I made for the classic ol' Cole Porter song, "Don't Fence Me In'. I couldn't work out whether to play it country or jazz style so I wore a chequered shirt and added some minor7th and diminished chords to compromise. :p Thanks again for a wonderful week brother and for pulling me out from under my little black cloud. Cheers everyone.

Nice compromise Jon!! This is one of those songs I knew just had to make an appearance this week. So glad you brought this in. That is a fine sounding uke. I love every damn thing about this. You put your heart and should into these songs and inspire me. Thank you for that. By the way, I could swear I saw that hula dancer swaying her hips a bit.

And please do let me know when you re-do the Seeger instrumental. I'd love to put it back in the play list. It would be a shame to leave that out.

Also, if I played any part in helping to pull you out from under your little black cloud, I'm very glad to hear it. The power of music and friendship. Unfortunately I'm under my own little black cloud right now (it actually ain't that little), and I couldn't be more thankful at this moment that I am hosting this week. I am throwing myself into this season. It is therapy right now. Cheers.

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Woohoo, I get to participate this week! Missed a few weeks due to, uh…life. Here's a song I've always wanted to learn. Played on the Outdoor uke I got from Season 82 (thank you Tim!). Thanks for hosting this week Sean, great theme!

Eric! I'm so glad to see you this week. I know how it is having to miss a week or two.
Man, this is amazing. The vocals (especially in the multi-track) are so smooth. How the hell do you hit those notes? I love this. Thank you.
I was reading one of the Little House books to my 7 year old the other night and there's a part where one of Pa's daughters leaves home for the first time. My daughter turns to me and says "Daddy, stop crying!".
BTW, I was THIS close to doing a "Tribute To The R&R Hall Of fame Class of 2014" as my theme, with Brian Epstein and Andrew Loog Oldham being inducted people could do Beatles and Stones tunes, not to mention KISS!!!

erivel
02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Eric! I'm so glad to see you this week. I know how it is having to miss a week or two.
Man, this is amazing. The vocals (especially in the multi-track) are so smooth. How the hell do you hit those notes? I love this. Thank you.
I was reading one of the Little House books to my 7 year old the other night and there's a part where one of Pa's daughters leaves home for the first time. My daughter turns to me and says "Daddy, stop crying!".
BTW, I was THIS close to doing a "Tribute To The R&R Hall Of fame Class of 2014" as my theme, with Brian Epstein and Andrew Loog Oldham being inducted people could do Beatles and Stones tunes, not to mention KISS!!!

Thanks man! Your second idea would have been equally cool too! There are many Kiss songs left to destroy! :) BTW I played my video for my 6 year old daughter, who despises the Beatles (what's wrong with her?) and then she starts talking about how she can't wait to get her driver's license so she can go wherever she wants…and I'm like oh crap!

ukuleledaddy
02-19-2014, 08:13 PM
It's a real pleasure to host this season. I wasn't planning on doing a song this week myself, but I kind of need to make some music and be with you folks tonight.
<TCK>This song was written during Vietnam. One of my uncles was drafted but refused to fight. He was a conscientious objector. He still served, I don't remember quite in what capacity, but he was tormented by his fellow troops so much that he won't talk at all about it. My mom knows some and she says it was so bad that even she won't talk about it. To this day my uncle is one of the most positive, silly and inspiring people I've ever met. For all of that he's a hero to me. My dad was drafted but was saved before shipping out because my mom became pregnant with me. Shortly after my dad became an inner city school teacher in San Francisco where he helped a lot of Vietnam refugee kids, many of whom had to flee their country without their parents. My dad taught them, helped them find work and tried to keep them out of the gangs. For all of that he is a hero to me.
Years and years later my wife and I attended a Bruce Springsteen concert on his "Seeger Sessions" tour. My wife was very pregnant with our first child. This was back in 2006 when the Iraq war was still going strong. When Bruce began this song, the crowd exploded with cheers. Sitting with my wife and unborn child and thinking of all those parents who never knew if their children would ever come home, or really what they were over there risking their lives for, well, it was the most powerful moment I've ever experienced at a show.</TCK>
To quote Pete Seeger, "If you like the idea you can help me out and sing along and we can raise the ceiling a little higher. Hooray for the right to speak your mind."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBOqMymIT7s

frisbee fred
02-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Sean, that's just a great video. Very heartfelt and powerful - especially with the TCK rule employed. Thanks for posting this as I had never heard this song before.

Hippie Dribble
02-19-2014, 08:26 PM
It's a real pleasure to host this season. I wasn't planning on doing a song this week myself, but I kind of need to make some music and be with you folks tonight.
<TCK>This song was written during Vietnam. One of my uncles was drafted but refused to fight. He was a conscientious objector. He still served, I don't remember quite in what capacity, but he was tormented by his fellow troops so much that he won't talk at all about it. My mom knows some and she says it was so bad that even she won't talk about it. To this day my uncle is one of the most positive, silly and inspiring people I've ever met. For all of that he's a hero to me. My dad was drafted but was saved before shipping out because my mom became pregnant with me. Shortly after my dad became an inner city school teacher in San Francisco where he helped a lot of Vietnam refugee kids, many of whom had to flee their country without their parents. My dad taught them, helped them find work and tried to keep them out of the gangs. For all of that he is a hero to me.
Years and years later my wife and I attended a Bruce Springsteen concert on his "Seeger Sessions" tour. My wife was very pregnant with our first child. This was back in 2006 when the Iraq war was still going strong. When Bruce began this song, the crowd exploded with cheers. Sitting with my wife and unborn child and thinking of all those parents who never knew if their children would ever come home, or really what they were over there risking their lives for, well, it was the most powerful moment I've ever experienced at a show.</TCK>
To quote Pete Seeger, "If you like the idea you can help me out and sing along and we can raise the ceiling a little higher. Hooray for the right to speak your mind."

Amazing testimony, thanks for giving so much of yourself this week Sean. This just caps it off. Sang along with you mate, hangin on every freakin word. Love you brother.

librainian
02-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Oh super, freedom of the road. This was the first taste of freedom I ever felt, and it was beautiful, "like anything was possible". I love Tom Petty and I've had this song blasting in the car many times. Really nicely played Rusty. Thanks for this.

Here's another freedom of the road song for ya. It's pretty long, but Chuck Brodsky's lyrics always reward the attentive listener. When I heard the theme for this week, this was the first song that popped into my head. Trusting my gut on this one. I hope you enjoy it 1/10th as much as I do. Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsvixC8fVBI

pabrizzer
02-19-2014, 10:17 PM

Sean you are swinging Pete's hammer so well with your rendition of his Bring Them Home song.
And he wrote and sung those songs knowing they would not please all who heard them and now one has resonated with you and the hammer gets swung again.

I re-recorded the song I wrote after hearing of Pete's passing - Swing Pete's Hammer - for this season, because that's exactly what you were doing Sean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1Wki3n-RQ

librainian
02-19-2014, 10:24 PM
I forgot to post this song Ralf and I did when the LWU was in town. Cameo appearance in this video as it was resting for this take. This song by Shiny and the spoon has a theme about a bird escaping it's cage. You get the idea. It's a bit rough, we didn't practice it.

http://youtu.be/VrtTZB_g784

wee_ginga_yin
02-20-2014, 03:34 AM
A song for all my comrades in England... and for all those wild men who
stand at street corners shouting at cars, and giving them directions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjDCHxLhDkQ

29moons
02-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Here's my humble contribution to this week. I went for a very basic recording after trying a more complex multi-track that just didn't sound that good.

This is about the feeling when you're young and feeling stuck in place, like you're just chasing the starting line no matter how hard you run. This is another by (E) from the album "A Man Called (E)"

http://youtu.be/OaeCS3Ihelk

UkeyDave
02-20-2014, 06:54 AM
I heard this song for the very first time yesterday and it just literally blew me away. I found it very touching and moving and I urge you to listen to this SARAH BLACKWOOD'S BEAUTIFUL COVER version on Ukulele HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5P7uj7r1o).
At first I thought I’d do this as a ballad too and then realised it was one of those songs that (in my humble opinion) works quite well as either a ballad or with a little more rhythm and tempo. I decided to go for the latter arrangement. Either way it’s a great song so I hope you enjoy. Oh and the link with freedom. Well for me its about a beautiful girl who allows her man the freedom to do his own thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X5k7_i70aU

UkeyDave
02-20-2014, 07:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjDCHxLhDkQ
What a simply marvellous song Bob. Sheer poetry and wonderful sentiment. I could almost kiss you. :-)

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Sean, that's just a great video. Very heartfelt and powerful - especially with the TCK rule employed. Thanks for posting this as I had never heard this song before.
Many thanks Fred, I appreciate it. Maybe I'm neglecting my role as host by doing a song myself, but I couldn't help it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure enjoying this week.

Amazing testimony, thanks for giving so much of yourself this week Sean. This just caps it off. Sang along with you mate, hangin on every freakin word. Love you brother.
Hey thanks Jon. Love you too brother, truly. Guess I just can't help myself, I wanted to be more a part of this week and join in the singing. As far as giving a lot of myself this week, I need it right now. I've jumped in the river and I'm letting it take me for the ride.

Sean you are swinging Pete's hammer so well with your rendition of his Bring Them Home song.
And he wrote and sung those songs knowing they would not please all who heard them and now one has resonated with you and the hammer gets swung again.

Thanks so much Brian. I sure hope I'm not stepping on any toes by coming in with my own song. This is a week for all of you to shine as I paddle the boat. But, this season has surely swept me up. I was singing some Pete Seeger this morning at the breakfast table (If I Had A Hammer), which I never do because mornings are always such a rush to get out the door, and to my surprise my kids started singing with me. I was sure I hadn't sung this to them before, and they told me they had heard it in school. Reminds me that I need to swing that hammer more at home.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Here's another freedom of the road song for ya. It's pretty long, but Chuck Brodsky's lyrics always reward the attentive listener. When I heard the theme for this week, this was the first song that popped into my head. Trusting my gut on this one. I hope you enjoy it 1/10th as much as I do. Cheers.

This has to be a record for the longest ever seasons vid.
What a great song! I love the riff you've got going on. It just goes on and on down the road taking you with it.
I've never heard of Chuck Brodsky but I can't wait to dig into his stuff. This song has so much to offer and things to think about. Reaching out, making choices, self discovery. Most of my favorite books I realize are about, or take place, while walking great distances. I've taken many road trips and engaged in many soul searches, but my biggest regret, I suppose, is never to have walked for months on end. That's a special kind of discovery, or so I'm told.
Thanks for this Andrew.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:00 AM
I re-recorded the song I wrote after hearing of Pete's passing - Swing Pete's Hammer - for this season, because that's exactly what you were doing Sean.

Thanks for the nod Pa. Keep that hammer swinging. What a tribute. When I came up with this theme I was hoping you would include this song, though I never thought you'd record it again for this season! If you hadn't posted it I would have just come right out and asked you to. There are many originals posted in the seasons, which is wonderful, and this is one of the best, in my opinion. Just lovely Brian. Pete surly would have been proud.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I forgot to post this song Ralf and I did when the LWU was in town. Cameo appearance in this video as it was resting for this take. This song by Shiny and the spoon has a theme about a bird escaping it's cage. You get the idea. It's a bit rough, we didn't practice it.

Little White Uke, I miss you! What a great song guys. When I saw the title I thought it was going to be the one by The Police. Never heard this one but I like it a lot. For not practicing at all this is wonderful, could have fooled me. Thanks for putting this up Andrew.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:23 AM

"Knew nothing of jealousy, nothing of rage, nothing of prejudice, nothing of shame", if only we could all say that of ourselves, wouldn't there be no need for civil rights movements and the need to fight for freedom? And yet, he lived in a home and couldn't go out alone.
Now to go fix up some tulips and rainbows for lunch.

xommen
02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
I have already done this for a previous season but this season needs some U2 ;).
This is MLK (About Martin Luther King Jr.) by U2.

http://youtu.be/KJDKTIu9zwk

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Here's my humble contribution to this week. I went for a very basic recording after trying a more complex multi-track that just didn't sound that good.

This is about the feeling when you're young and feeling stuck in place, like you're just chasing the starting line no matter how hard you run. This is another by (E) from the album "A Man Called (E)"

This is great John, the song suits you well. Rather, you play and sing it so well. I love how this theme of freedom is being represented so broadly. People are coming in with their own stories to tell and different expressions on the theme. Boy do I relate to this song. I was stuck throughout my twenties, spinning my wheels, surrounded by other people spinning their wheels. Luckily I was aware that I was in Nowheresville and finally was able to escape. I feel for you and hope you and your family can get some traction and roll free of the mud. We'd love to have you here in Portland.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:45 AM
I heard this song for the very first time yesterday and it just literally blew me away. I found it very touching and moving and I urge you to listen to this SARAH BLACKWOOD'S BEAUTIFUL COVER version on Ukulele HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5P7uj7r1o).
At first I thought I’d do this as a ballad too and then realised it was one of those songs that (in my humble opinion) works quite well as either a ballad or with a little more rhythm and tempo. I decided to go for the latter arrangement. Either way it’s a great song so I hope you enjoy. Oh and the link with freedom. Well for me its about a beautiful girl who allows her man the freedom to do his own thing.

I wouldn't have thought of this for this season but it works so well. Again, another example of how broad this theme can be. I love it. Quite often one person's freedom (of sorts) is possible because of another's sacrifice. Well done Dave.
I have been wanting to do this song myself for a while. Usually my kids (ages 5 & 7) like to listen to crappy pop or Disney songs, but when my oldest heard this song she loved it and would often ask to hear it.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:52 AM
I have already done this for a previous season but this season needs some U2 ;).
This is MLK (About Martin Luther King Jr.) by U2.

I close my eyes and hear Bono. So glad you did this Wim. Beautifully sung. A powerful song and lovely tribute to one of freedom's heroes.

decaturcomp
02-20-2014, 08:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21d2csCq9-o

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21d2csCq9-o

Such a great song. I've never quite felt the freedom of having nothing left to lose. Guess I can count myself lucky that I've always had something to lose.
Thanks for doing this for us Alan. I'm enjoying your finger work as usual.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 09:19 AM
By the way people, I know I've missed adding at least one video to the play list, so please let me know if I overlooked yours. I want to make sure you're all there. Carry on.

decaturcomp
02-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Such a great song. I've never quite felt the freedom of having nothing left to lose. Guess I can count myself lucky that I've always had something to lose.

I think the idea is like a vow of poverty for Buddhist and other monks and ascetics. Choosing to be adrift has it's own manner of freeing the drifter, no?

Thanks for a great Season. It's meaning more to me than I'd have thought. Too much thinking, anyway.

CeeJay
02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
I found this on You Tube and I cannot find it on the Season Page anywhere, so here it is just in case some one else can't find it...and found it needs to be !!!

http://youtu.be/VkMUHKgLVlg

Excellent stuff JBR ..I could not leave a comment at YT 'cos it is rubbish and I could not find this here in the season (probably my shite internet skills ) and I think it needs pimping ..............so there ;)

bonesigh
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
I quite like your version of this song. Sarah's is nice too. Just in case anyone want's to know the original was done by City and Colour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVHk4dc7yaE[QUOTE=UkeyDave;1481214]I heard this song for the very first time yesterday and it just literally blew me away. I found it very touching and moving and I urge you to listen to this SARAH BLACKWOOD'S BEAUTIFUL COVER version on Ukulele HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5P7uj7r1o).

peewee
02-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Over here, tomorrow night's chapter in book 7 is called "Mary goes to College". Thanks for the warning, I'll keep the tissues handy.

Hippie Dribble
02-20-2014, 07:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77lgV8XA6A

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Over here, tomorrow night's chapter in book 7 is called "Mary goes to College". Thanks for the warning, I'll keep the tissues handy.

Ha ha! Great books aren't they? The chapter I was referring to actually is in book eight, where Laura goes off to another town to teach school and boards with another family. Pa drives her out to her new home and drops her off. Get the tissues for that one. My wife and I trade off putting the girls to bed so I think she read that chapter where Mary goes off to college.

pabrizzer
02-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Is anyone else having trouble viewing the embedded videos?
I get audio but no picture unless I go to YouTube.

Hippie Dribble
02-20-2014, 08:09 PM

working as normal for me mate...

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77lgV8XA6A

Whoa, look at those fingers dance! Superb in every way. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Truly, thank you. For the inspiration, for the smiles, for the friendship and for sharing this beautiful song with us this week.

pabrizzer
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
working as normal for me mate...

Very weird.
Working OK in Explorer not working in Chrome.

ukuleledaddy
02-20-2014, 08:32 PM

It's all good on my end.

librainian
02-20-2014, 09:08 PM
I couldn't resist another Chuck Brodsky tune. This one is more of a cautionary tale about the slippery slope that leads to loss of freedom. With recent events like Snowden, the NSA brew haha, the continued difficulties extricating ourselves from Afghanistan and Iraq, the escalating violence by regimes against their own people in Syria, Ukraine, and on and on and on.

This song reminds me that we sometimes take our liberties in Western countries for granted, let's not be complacent to the erosion of liberty in all its forms and speak out or take action when something seems wrong to us. Every voice spoken for freedom is needed and adds to the chorus. I don't necessarily espouse every view or theory in this song, but the message is clear and important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ug8jgDVzW8

Hippie Dribble
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I couldn't resist another Chuck Brodsky tune. This one is more of a cautionary tale about the slippery slope that leads to loss of freedom. With recent events like Snowden, the NSA brew haha, the continued difficulties extricating ourselves from Afghanistan and Iraq, the escalating violence by regimes against their own people in Syria, Ukraine, and on and on and on.

This song reminds me that we sometimes take our liberties in Western countries for granted, let's not be complacent to the erosion of liberty in all its forms and speak out or take action when something seems wrong to us. Every voice spoken for freedom is needed and adds to the chorus. I don't necessarily espouse every view or theory in this song, but the message is clear and important.

Wow, another absolute corker Andrew. Every single thing you do is classy. This is just awesome. Got me right in the guts.

Barbablanca
02-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I have been without Internet for three days!!!! Can you imagine??? My router/modem died and my ISP was slow to replace it! - Looks like I have got so much to catch up on here! -

Sadly, I'm not going to have much time. This weekend our band is going into the studio to record our first album!!! In fact, I didn't think I'd have time to record anything for this week. But when I had no Internet, I couldn't work. So, I just relaxed and did a multitrack version of a song of mine called "Choices" (after all, freedom is about choices, isn't it?)

This song was written two years ago when I was on a fabulous fiddle course with a Scots Master Fiddler called Gregor Borland. My real problem with learning tunes is that I don't remember them from one day to the next unless they have got words. Now often this means I will just invent a nonsense line or two to remind me how the tune starts. eg:
"Down at the dog and duck, you've got to try your luck!" (Drowsy Maggie)

Other times I write a whole song. This was the case when Gregor was trying to teach us to play the tune "Inspector Donald Campbell of Ness" - The tune is a complex piece in an AABBCCDD structure. So, I more or less had to write an entire set of lyrics to remember it. Here is the result then. I think the topic of the song fits the theme well, don't you?

http://youtu.be/EDT3xjLb9XI

Lyrics in the YouTube description.

The images that open the video are the place where we did the course and some of the participŕnts - mainly young lasses from NZ. The black fiddle is mine.

ChrisDeston821
02-21-2014, 01:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hej3DdbBBhA

Gutted I missed last weeks season (first week I've missed since starting) and almost missed this weeks too! Managed to find half an hour this morning to give this a go and record a few takes before my shower - turns out first take was best as usual but I got it on tape this time ;)
Also left my second take on the end for fun, I wanted to try playing with the tempo. Not sure if I liked it or not.. Haha.
Alas, at least I got a chance to play my uke this week :) Free - Jack Johnson

wee_ginga_yin
02-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Very weird.
Working OK in Explorer not working in Chrome.

Same with Opera... black box with some text in ti about HTML5 and 3D
No video at all have to go to YT to view.

Joko
02-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Pwjk0mVfU

pabrizzer
02-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Stayed on Freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQmvTLsQ-XI

Only known this as an Eric Bibb song.
Was very pleased to find it's an old song also done by The Weavers.