Vintage uke made in Europe??

marclin723

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I just saw a guy posted few pictures as attachment and said this is made in 1900 to 1920 by European luthier according to the looks, fingerboard, nut, saddle, body, bridge, rosette, binding, internal structure, materials.

The look of this uke is similar to a vintage Hawaiian uke. But I never heard a Vintage uke made by European luthier. Especially, I cannot find the label on it.

Is this true? A uke made by European luthier? Maybe it's just a lie.

Attachments

• mu.jpg
    mu.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 75
ukuleles were actually introduced to Hawaii by Portugese.

BTW, that's a gorgeous uke...

Looks Portuguese to me, and that waist really old. Is it for sale? Great price? Snap it up.

Last edited:
There were European makers around 1920. But this uke seems very much Hawaiian. It looks like koa, the back extending over the heel end is typical, as is the neck shape (especially the heel) and the binding.

But, it all looks very new and shiny. The bridge looks wrong to me for 1920s, though I can't say why, the nut seems wrong but might be a replacement, ditto the tuners.

Two possibilities from photos alone:

An old Hawaiian uke that has never been played, or has been refinished and "improved".

A modern uke made in period Hawaiian style.

Either way it looks to be high quality. At the right price I'd buy it uninspected and hope. If I could inspect and play it I might even pay a wrong price!

There's one just like it depicted on the Ukulele Hall of Fame Museum site. There it is indicated as California made in the Hawaiian style.

Top Bottom