Anyone like beaters?

Icelander53

Reaction score
Do you have a uke that you like because it looks like it's been through hell and back but still plays well? I'd love to see some pics of it if you're willing to expose it to view. I have one that I just bought as B stock and it came in pretty ugly and messed up. I plan on just letting it get uglier. It's a solid body and I think I'm going to do some carving on it and maybe let my dog play with it. :p

I consider my Outdoor Uke as my beater. The uke lives in my car through heat and cold, is played by many others, deals with whatever elements I have to deal with, has been dropped, banged, wet, frozen, cooked, and still looks as good as the day I pulled it out of the mailing box.

Dan

it's not axactly a beater, but it's seen better days...my 1934 Martin style 0
IMG_1523.jpgIMG_1524.jpg
this was before I changed the strings, I wouldn't leave strings looking like that!

Last edited:
oops, double post...

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 11
My beloved beater 1925 Martin 0
Beater Martin.jpg

Not a uke, but the best beater I've ever seen or heard.

Trigger-Willie_Nelson.jpg

Someone say beaters? Love em. Makes baking cakes a joy.

egg beater.jpg

Yes, I love my Makala tenor I bought for $70 at Goodguys on Kapahulu in Honolulu. Why? Because my Kanilea tenor is back in the Bay Area. I need a tenor strung high g to work on certain complicated picking pieces. I can't let my fingers go dry. The Makala's good enough. The sound isn't as good but the neck's decent. It's accurate up and down the neck. It's loud enough for me. When I pick up my Kanilea I know the notes will be sweeter and longer but I'll get them because my fingers have practiced and will know where to go.

Ahhh...good 'ole trigger. Saw a recording of a Willie concert once where a guy in the front row tried to trade him a brand new guitar of the same model and Willie just laughed.

Not a uke, but the best beater I've ever seen or heard.

Trigger-Willie_Nelson.jpg

I don't go out of my way to have beaters and in fact I won't own an instrument that I won't take out on a gig - that said, I've got at least one uke on which UWC weather and camping has taken its toll - my Kiwaya longneck soprano. It doesn't look terribly beat up but it would never pass as anything but well used.

John

'Anyone like beaters?'

"As long as they don't make me write bad checks..."

I've not been playing long enough to have a real beater, but yes I love beaters. I love the old photos from the 20's and 30's where the players are playing their (probably $5.00 Martins) in the sand, in the snow, backs of jalopies, in canoes - everywhere! I understand wanting to care for your baby - and I'm careful with mine - but my heart is with those in the sand and the snow and even in a lunar orbiter, if my memory serves. Play nekkid! Play wild! Play orbital! Just play!!

I recently bought a little girl from the 1920's-30's sears catalog that has been a fighter. She was repaired and refurbished but shes still rough. I strung her up with a set of D'Addario Titanium strings and shes holding a tune nicely. She sounds... twonky? almost banjo like. It was this sound that made me need this uke. Its different while in tune to itself its slightly out of tune to the world. Tiny Tims uke used in his laugh in performances is similar in this aspect.

I bought it because I am interested in many tin pan alley songs and it just seemed right. I currently have it tuned down a half step and I am learning that song from the jerk. It has a really interesting almost sour tone in this tuning like summer breeze by Type O Negative.

Here's the video that sold me on her.

Beater? Well I'm not going to let my dog play with it.

I have a few beautiful, exotic ukes, but I do have a soft spot for my first tenor.
I was visiting a guy who had just stated distributing ukes.... He got them made in a factory in China with his brand name on them. I checked out a few, then noticed a tenor cut-away. He said the factory had thrown 2 in with his order and he had used one for teaching. It had a "Lapore" label inside that was crookedly glued over a "Kala" label, and he had scratched off the "Lapore" headstock label leaving an ugly gash. But it played nicely, and I decided I needed to own a tenor to see what it was like, so I made him an offer.... I loved it!! Took it everywhere - because I could - after all it was a cheapie, and I was already scouring the net for my "good" tenor.
I got the good tenor, but it stayed in the cupboard and I played the "cheapie" more often because I wasn't so precious about it.
I was camping with some friends, we had sung around the fire at night, the uke was laying on the ground... I thought "I'd better put it in the car so no one steps on it". On the way I tripped on a tent rope and went down on the uke, breaking the neck clear off. I threw the bits in the car and tried to keep up a brave face, but I was clearly devastated. I was already planning to have a ritual burning of the pieces sometime in a private ceremony.
As soon as I got home I found a replacement beater on the net, but it took a while to arrive in Australia, so I had a go at repairing the first one. I got the neck back on but the fretboard didn't align - it kicked up a level from the 12th fret up. I filed the life out of those frets so that the strings where clear for frets 1 to 12. It wasn't pretty - but it worked. While I was at it I made a compensated saddle and put on Gotoh tuners. Then I made a new label to stick over the previous ones - "Duke Ukuleles" - it's No 1 of a limited run of 1.
It still plays like a dream, and it's the one I am most used to so it always feel like coming home.

Beater 003.jpgBeater 002.jpg

Last edited:
All of my three ukuleles I own are beaters from eBay. I'm more interested in repair and building. So I've bought broken one and repair them. My favorite in a Harmony like the video above.

I love the corrector of an old used instrument!

I have a few beautiful, exotic ukes, but I do have a soft spot for my first tenor.
I was visiting a guy who had just stated distributing ukes.... He got them made in a factory in China with his brand name on them. I checked out a few, then noticed a tenor cut-away. He said the factory had thrown 2 in with his order and he had used one for teaching. It had a "Lapore" label inside that was crookedly glued over a "Kala" label, and he had scratched off the "Lapore" headstock label leaving an ugly gash. But it played nicely, and I decided I needed to own a tenor to see what it was like, so I made him an offer.... I loved it!! Took it everywhere - because I could - after all it was a cheapie, and I was already scouring the net for my "good" tenor.
I got the good tenor, but it stayed in the cupboard and I played the "cheapie" more often because I wasn't so precious about it.
I was camping with some friends, we had sung around the fire at night, the uke was laying on the ground... I thought "I'd better put it in the car so no one steps on it". On the way I tripped on a tent rope and went down on the uke, breaking the neck clear off. I threw the bits in the car and tried to keep up a brave face, but I was clearly devastated. I was already planning to have a ritual burning of the pieces sometime in a private ceremony.
As soon as I got home I found a replacement beater on the net, but it took a while to arrive in Australia, so I had a go at repairing the first one. I got the neck back on but the fretboard didn't align - it kicked up a level from the 12th fret up. I filed the life out of those frets so that the strings where clear for frets 1 to 12. It wasn't pretty - but it worked. While I was at it I made a compensated saddle and put on Gotoh tuners. Then I made a new label to stick over the previous ones - "Duke Ukuleles" - it's No 1 of a limited run of 1.
It still plays like a dream, and it's the one I am most used to so it always feel like coming home.

View attachment 63917View attachment 63918

One of the best ukulele stories I've ever heard! Thanks.

I have a future beater in a vintage birch Kay. I have no idea what it sounds like. I saw it in a secondhand shop and kept coming back to look at it, and finally took it home with me. One tuner will not hold the string taut and is badly frozen, so I will replace all four tuners down the road. Right now, I just like looking at it. It is likely as old as me.

If it can be fixed - great. If nothing else, it will go on the wall as it just embodies all the vintage ones made for playing for fun.

Ahhh...good 'ole trigger. Saw a recording of a Willie concert once where a guy in the front row tried to trade him a brand new guitar of the same model and Willie just laughed.

Yeah. Trigger is considered priceless. When it's setting off stage in a guitar stand before and after the show, an armed guard stands with it.

Quick note to self: do not buy any uke mentioned in this thread if it shows up in Marketplace.

Top Bottom