Kala Soprano Collection

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My first uke ever was an agathis Makala. I ended up passing it on to my niece when she showed interest in ukulele. Since then I've owned a few Kala's and really enjoyed all but one. I had a concert lacewood model that was beautiful but had some issues so I had to send it back. I've also got an acacia tenor that was my primary instrument in my last band for over a year. I love that thing. I installed a MI-SI in it and plugged right into the PA system with great results.

Back to the soprano topic. I've decided to start collecting Kala sopranos and just ordered a new one from MIM. I really liked the lacewood and hated sending it back and have always wanted another one; it was just so beautiful. Tonight I ordered a soprano lacewood/spruce model from MIM and think my soprano collection is large enough that I can actually consider it a collection. I'd love to have one of each but will get them one at a time and quite sporadically. My next will be an acacia soprano model.

So far my Kala soprano collection consists of…

Makala Shark
KA-15S
KA-SMHS
KA-ASLAS (when it arrives)

Kala offers so many models in all sizes. Anyone else here collect Kalas? Maybe in a specific size?

A collection of one, an ASAC that I'm kinda' fond of....
R

While i dont exactly collect them i do have two, the same agathis makala in tenor and pineapple. For the price of these you cant beat it. I prefer them over the lanikai models in the same price range by a mile, the makala may not be as pretty but i think the sound is much better.Plus i dont think twice about throwing that little pineapple in the car for trips and camping or whatever activity that ist exactly uke safe lol Ive always had my eye on one of those tenor slot head acacia models tho :D

The ASAC model is definitely the next on my list unless a great deal on something else presents itself first. I have the slot head tenor ASAC and buffed it to a high shine…not sure if I'd do the same with the soprano or not. I guess it would depend on the amount of flame. Buffing really brought the flame out.

Here's a link to the original post with some pics of the polished ASAC tenor…

High Gloss Kala ASAC Tenor

Currently I have:

Kala Mahogany Concert
Kala Black Electro Concert
Kala 'Joe Brown' Mahogany Soprano
Kala Travel Soprano
Kala Dolphin Soprano
Kala Banjolele Soprano

Guess I've got it bad......

I just bought a Kala KA-SEM from ukegirl here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...the-box-Kala-SEM-exotic-soprano-with-freebies

Very nice little instrument and a decent setup though after doing the set up on my smiley uke, I need to lower the strings a bit at the nut on the Kala. I've become fussy lol.

The Kala made me realize how thin Smiley sounds even with Aquila strings. I have a couple solid wood ukes that suffered fast from humidity cracks so the laminate ukes are catching my eye.

I have the KA-SEM, my smiley thats actually a pretty good player, one 20's-30's Harmony and a 50's Harmony I need to put the neck back on in soprano size. I have a KA-SC Concert should be arriving tomorrow also bought from a member here. UAS is firmly set in and overtaken MBS multiple bike syndrome.

The only thing that turned me off to the KA-SEM was the small gold stuck on for life made in china label. I peeled it off and I'm trying to forget... lol

~peace~

I have an orange burst Dolphin, a Kala Watermelon/Kiwi hybrid (no watermelon stripes, just the seeded top and the brighter Kiwi color), and the lacewood with spruce top soprano. They are all great players. :D

The ASAC model is definitely the next on my list unless a great deal on something else presents itself first. I have the slot head tenor ASAC and buffed it to a high shine…not sure if I'd do the same with the soprano or not. I guess it would depend on the amount of flame. Buffing really brought the flame out.

Here's a link to the original post with some pics of the polished ASAC tenor…

High Gloss Kala ASAC Tenor

I remember that. I now like a buffed satin finish at least as much as gloss.

The KA-ASLAS arrived from MIM and is a beautiful uke. Thanks, MIM! I just think this lacewood is so pretty, and now I've got a spruce top soprano. I really dig the clean vintage look of the friction tuners and think I'll end my Kala soprano collection with the ASAC. Until they come out with others sporting the frictions I'll stick with what I've got. I had intentions of getting one of each but no reason to. I have 2 laminates and that's enough to cover what I need. The Makala Shark will find a permanent resting spot at work where I can grab it at lunch, the 15S will be my carry around and outdoor uke, and the SMHS and ASLAS will get my practice and jam time. I think my next soprano will be a Martin Model 2. I don't know what it is about the sopranos but they've really caught my attention lately. The tenors are great, but remain in the closet most of the time.

The first uke I bought was a Kala 8-string tenor. I love the depth of tone and the sustain. A tenor's really too big for my hands, so I prefer concerts and sopranos. My wife has her eye on the Ukadelic SteamPunk Soprano, and we'll probably get one.

You know, the lacewood/spruce combo soprano Kala was my last acquisition and although I dig it, it sits on the shelf unplayed. I've truly fallen for the mahogany models. I've got the 15-S laminate and the solid wood SMHS. They both have a unique voice and are easy players. I had intentions of getting a mahogany Martin Model 2 or 3, but aesthetically I prefer 12 frets over 17. And I'm not sure I'd get much use out of those extra five over the soundboard.

I know it's common to think that you're individual instrument is somehow "superior" to the others in that line. I believe that comes with familiarity with your particular instrument. So I will just say that Kala makes a killer solid mahogany uke and I really don't see the need to drop $1600+ to get the Martin. If I find a used one fur sub $1k I'll give it serious thought.

As far as collecting any more Kala sopranos, I think I'll stop with the acacia model. I'm a sucker for friction tuners. Beyond that, I believe my collecting is over. Between my tenors and sopranos, I think I'm set. I really have no burning desire to purchase more at this time.

Three Kalas under this roof - all various flavors of soprano.

How do you like your Kala banjolele? I've yet to see one in the flesh.

Currently I have:

Kala Mahogany Concert
Kala Black Electro Concert
Kala 'Joe Brown' Mahogany Soprano
Kala Travel Soprano
Kala Dolphin Soprano
Kala Banjolele Soprano

Guess I've got it bad......

Top Bottom