Uke slump

J-dawg5

Reaction score
My heart is breaking. I'm in my worst slump ever. I can't write a song to save my life. Idk what's going on in me. I'm not a big singer when I play ukulele, I don't like my voice to mask the beauty of the uke. Why is this happening it's been going on for like 2 months. I need help. If this has happened to my fellow users how did you get out? Or am I stuck for life.

Of course you aren't stuck for life! Watch other people's videos. Listen to things on Pandora. Give yourself a break. Allow it to come to you instead. I went on a several-month long hiatus after being in a similar situation to yours. It may not have been prolific or directly beneficial, but definitely gave me a lot of breathing room, and freed up room in my head for new ideas to flow in. The best advice I can give you, is put yourself in a position to be inspired!
:)

When I get into a writing slump, I read a bunch of new (to me) authors.

This is completely natural. You are going through a plateau.

The best thing to do is to work through it, then things will progress again.

In the meantime. Stay the course. And try something you have not tried before like a new type of music, or technique..

The worst thing you can do is loose hens give up.

Good luck and hang in there. Things will change for the best before you know it.

Artists of all genres get into slumps, and a slump, by definition, denotes a dip in forward motion. Like a highway, some dips are deeper than others, but if you keep on going, sooner or later you are out of it and moving forward again. My best advice for now (tricky stuff that advice) is to do something(s) for someone else. Visit a nursing or retirement and play the folks a tune or two. Serve up some lunches at a local "soup kitchen" - or play for them....etc. etc.
Helping others seems to work for a lot of folks. :music:

Get out of your comfort zone. Set yourself a task to write a song with a viewpoint, subject, or in a style completely different from the things you normally do. If you write love ballads then do a death-metal protest bit.

If you don't already participate in the "Seasons of the Ukulele" in the contest forums, check it out. It will give you a different challenge every week.

John

Sometimes my entire musical career feels like a slump. First thing I do when my playing is stagnant for a long time is play everything SLOWLY. After a couple of torturous weeks, I'm usually back. If that fails me, I start playing all different music, completely dismissing the things I know. This always works.
Yes, I'm talking about playing, not something creative like writing. But, stepping back or stepping out for a time is excellent medicine for artistic advancement.

Top Bottom