Recommended preamp for ukulele use

Condor

Reaction score
I am awaiting two ukes both of which have passive pickups fitted - my understanding is that passive pickups should be connected to a preamp before connecting to the amp itself - which preamp would be suitable for this? Looking for something afforable and compact, it would be useful if I could use it for a guitar as well.

Advice would be appreciated.

Depends on the amp. Some amps, especially some of the "most recommended" small amps on UU have built in preamp/eq's. The external pre-amp most often recommended here is the Baggs Paracoustic DI. The Behringer PREAMP/BOOSTER PB100 is a "budget" alternative that will get the job done, though not nearly as well as the Baggs

Here's a good article by K&K on the subject: http://kksound.com/support/pickups101/preamp.php

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience using the Danlectro Fish&Chips as a pre-amp? It looks like almost as good a deal as the Behringer.

I use the Baggs GigPro, sort of the smaller younger brother of the Baggs PADI. It is small, inexpensive (~$99), very simple to use, and clips to your belt for performing. I used it to preamp a piezo pickup on my five-string banjo. It's really hard to get a clean acoustic sound from a banjo pickup, but the GigPro at least gave me enough signal strength to cut through the mix.

Affordable and compact - look at the Behringer ADI 21.

I did just that and ordered one, probably just unlucky but its stone dead out the box, so returned it to Amazon and awaiting a new one............

I did just that and ordered one, probably just unlucky but its stone dead out the box, so returned it to Amazon and awaiting a new one............

Behringer products always get mixed user reviews on Amazon. It seems there are quality control issues with their products. The shop where I bought my Ashdown preamp said the had stopped stocking them for this reason. People who get good ones generally give them good ratings and they are good value for money. That said I'd rather spend a little more for something that's reliable.

Good luck with your replacement anyway.

Top Bottom