Saxo Flute

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had one (bamboo sax), but never got the hang of it. After having it stored away for several years, I sold it a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
I've got a xaphoon I keep meaning to practice playing. Actually now that daughter has been taking piano lessons since last summer I may have an excuse to play again. I was finding the pitch hard to control when playing in a vacuum by myself.

I have since been advised that it is hard to maintain pitch on these bamboo saxes. Now wondering if I should just get a bamboo flute. I don't play sax.

Honestly you might want to look into another instrument that's inexpensive, effective and extremely portable: ocarinas. A nice single chamber performance grade (ceramic) for under 100usd, a high end performance grade multichamber (ceramic) for under 300. You can also get a very nice portable US made polycarbonate "mountain ocarina" for 30usd or so shipped (I would suggest the wearable 'G' version).

I just snagged a sweet mahogany Quena flute in G. It has a gloss finish and is gorgeous. Now I just have to learn to play it. Plan on using for Latin and Irish music, maybe a little jazz.

Top Bottom