ever build a ukulele with no bridge patch

tangimango

Reaction score
so far read a lot of info on guitar forums
so many good reason to use and not to use

some say its to strengthen the top on thin boards
they say without one, the sound is greater in volume

best one ive read was that its just another element of the build they can modify to get that specific tone. you can go no bridge patch, longer, smaller, 1mm thick too 0.2mm thin, basically one element in the total build for that certain sound.

so far read a lot of info on guitar forums
so many good reason to use and not to use

some say its to strengthen the top on thin boards
they say without one, the sound is greater in volume

best one ive read was that its just another element of the build they can modify to get that specific tone. you can go no bridge patch, longer, smaller, 1mm thick too 0.2mm thin, basically one element in the total build for that certain sound.

That certain sound? I'd like to see the science behind that statement.

Guitars are not ukuleles, and the use of a bridge patch isn't going to be the same, not even close. I use a bridge patch for my ukes for one reason, to protect the top from the strings beads from digging into the top plate. I use a string through type of bridge so a bridge patch is there. If I were to build with another type of bridge arrangement, a bridge patch isn't needed. In the guitar world, the use of a bridge patch is very subjective, and it helps to believe in voodoo if your talking about "your sound". Every time I hear about a builder who swears by there building methods, braces, etc., I ask them if they think they can pick their guitar out of 4 in a blind listening test. If they say sure, absoluety, I ask if they are willing to bet $1000 on that. No one has ever taken the bet. But then again, where is a luthier going to get an extra $1000.

Top Bottom