Ohana BKB-35E String Replacement

wolfchs

UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello!

Just wanted to know if anyone has this bass uke? And if they have replaced the strings yet? If so, how is it done and what strings did you replace it with? The U-basses have a door in the back of the body, but the Ohana does not, and I can't find any youtube videos to show me how to replace it. I over-tuned the A string by mistake and it stretched it so much it became really thin so I need to replace it.

Was also looking to purchase a hard case for it to avoid breaking the thing since the gig bag doesn't really give much protection.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

~Mina :eek:

Not difficult

Mina- welcome to the wonderful world of ukulele bass.
I really enjoyed the video for Season 104 with your pals on the sofa playing along with you.

The factory strings on your bass are Aquila 68U, you can order them from Elderly or many other places. http://elderly.com/accessories/names/aquila-68u-bass-uke-set--ABU68.htm

As you found out the hard way, it's possible to over-stretch these strings and make them "sausage" or thin out.
Aquila now recommends lifting the strings out of the nut slot when tuning them to avoid this problem.
A little bit of thinning is normal, especially on the G, but you need to pay attention when tightening the tension.

The trick to installing them is fishing them through the bridge and soundhole, some ukulele designs require this as well.

Anything you can improvise will work, an old ukulele string as a leader, etc. If the replacement strings have crimped ends, you can cut them off and tie a knot in the string after it's threaded through the bridge if that's easier.

As for hard cases, this Kala baritone case fits a U-Bass, and might work for you. http://kala-gear.hostedbyamazon.com/Kala-BLACK-BARITONE-CASE/dp/B007KONIVW

The exact dimensions of Kala cases are posted on their web site.

Best of luck, it's great to have a uke bass in your collection.
PM me if you have any questions.

Mina- welcome to the wonderful world of ukulele bass.

The trick to installing them is fishing them through the bridge and soundhole, some ukulele designs require this as well.

Anything you can improvise will work, an old ukulele string as a leader, etc. If the replacement strings have crimped ends, you can cut them off and tie a knot in the string after it's threaded through the bridge if that's easier.

I have had a few of the crimps fail on Thunderguts, I now tie a knot as a precaution.

Top Bottom