PDA

View Full Version : WOW - Thomastik-Infeld Chromium Flat Wound CF30!

OldePhart
02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
I've been using this classical guitar "D" string as the G on my linear baritone uke. I decided that since I'm getting a five-string tenor uke I'd better find a low-G string that I like and decided to try this on my Mainland mango tenor.

(For the record, I've yet to find an unwound low-G that I like at all.)

It blended pretty well, but not quite perfectly, with the Ko'Olau Gold strings that were on the uke and I was thinking about trying a CF27 as a wound C to see if that would give better balance for finger rolls.

Then, I decided to try a CT set with the low-G on the same uke. Marriage made in heaven - the timbre and volume going from the low-G to the C when doing finger rolls is about as balanced as I can imagine getting and strummed it's really nice.

This is the first time I can say that I really like a uke tuned low-G, even for finger rolls. I had tried a reentrant CT set on this same uke a long time ago and didn't care for it - it was far too bright and tinkley. However, with the low-G it's like Baby Bear's porridge...just right. :)

For straight up picking, and especially in a reentrant tuning, I really do prefer the sound of the Ko'Olau gold strings but they are so temperature sensitive that playing outdoors with them it's almost impossible to stay on top of the tuning. Last year at UWC I ended up leaving the mango tenor in the car and using just the fluorocarbon-strung Kiwaya the whole weekend.

So, I suspect that when my Boat Paddle gets here it's going to have CTs (I think that's what Jerry uses anyway) and a CF30 low-G. In fact, I think I'll send Jerry a couple of the CF30 strings so he can have it strung up the way I'm going to want it from the start.

John

SailingUke
02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
I have been using LaBella polished flat wounds for low G for a few years.
They blend with my flouro carbons, don't require any nut modification, last longer than wound and DON"T squeak.

OldePhart
02-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I have been using LaBella polished flat wounds for low G for a few years.
They blend with my flouro carbons, don't require any nut modification, last longer than wound and DON"T squeak.

I'll have to check out the LaBella - I didn't know they had a flat wound. When I went looking for flat wound strings for my baritone the only flat wound classical strings I could find at the online string retailers were the Thomastik-Infeld. I really like them (they last longer than most other wound strings I've tried and have really nice bright tone) but it's good to know that there are other options out there.

And...like you say...they don't squeak. That was the big deal-killer for me on low tunings was the squeaking because I do a lot of finger rolls and it's really annoying when you get that "scratch" sound on half the strings!

John