Advance warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just had another cheeky so and so remonstrate that my YouTube videos are 'not in order'. Well I gave him the news - tough, it's a free service and I don't owe anyone any favours! If you are a subscriber though, I am taking most of them down now. I'm pretty much done giving away my craft only to be rebuked yet again for failing to provide a full and unpaid comprehensive public service. My partnership with Artisan Media is there in principle so further video of my work will have to be paid for. Thanks to all those who have enjoyed my workshop cameos; you have validated my work and qualified me as a teacher and for that, I am very grateful.

Last edited:
Pete, your videos are awesome. Thank you for making them available as long as you have.

Thanks Chris - now gone. Only completed works demos still up and the tune tutorials.

I've enjoyed watching them, thanks. I do know exactly how you feel. I host a website which serves up lots of free information but I also sell building guides with full size printed plans and hundreds of annotated build sequence photos, video and audio clips, and assorted related information for each guide.

I've actually had e-mails telling me I was an a**hole for not providing ALL of my information for free.

Rather than spend much time with hurt feelings I choose to think about all of the very nice e-mails I've received thanking me for my efforts.

Pete !!! if you take them away..How am I going to spy on you to see what you are up to :confused:...and I'd like to know, "Who is the Guy that gives me the Thumbs down (dislike icon) on my videos" ? :mad:..When obviously they are brilliant ;)

I don't have hurt feeling. It just precipitated the inevitable that would have to happen as part of my working with Artisan Media. Our first 3 DVD series is already 30% scripted. We'll be set building soon and the professionally shot Pete Howlett (another gripe from subscribers - poor sound, lighting, singing etc) will emerge. You want it, you will have to pay for it in the future.

If you give me a working email address Ken I'll send you my video diary shorts.... BTW, it's not me. You know you are my hero :) I'm looking for a replacement for my father, any age but they must be kind and friendly. Want the job? We'd get on like a house on fire!

Last edited:
Pete,
I've thoroughly enjoyed your videos and am so sorry you are getting hammered on like this.
Many thanks for them! I learned a lot

Wow I was enjoying learning from those videos but alas its not something I'll ever make money with so not worth my scratch. The word sellout comes to mind. Hopefully your business venture works out for you.

Advanced warning: unsubscribed from youtube
peace
~AL~

Last edited:
Pete, please consider putting your former YT tutorials on a CD/DVD/download for sale, as is. Lots of great building lessons there!

I'm not sure if that would affect your agreement with Artisan Media. Thanks for sharing your skill and knowledge over the years. Looking forward to your new DVD set.

You've got a cheek if you are implying that I am selling out when for 8 years my whole workshop practice has been up for view with no monetising or advertising. You really ought to think before slapping me around AL! If I have it right you are part of a generation who expects everything for free whilst offering nothing in return - not even a thank you for helping you understand better the craft. Ingrate! I've spent 40 years acquiring this knowledge and until recently have been happy to give it away but now that's it - you prove my point. How dare you remonstrate with me because I don't meet your expectations. If I knew you and you were a friend, the conversation would be altogether different. I've had to take this sort of mealy mouthed bleating for 8 years and quite frankly, I've had enough of it folks.

Doc-J. You will get all the YouTube stuff re-shot, repackaged and ordered. Our first DVD + plans venture will be titled Building the Luthier's Workshop. Lots of advice and footage of how to organise a workspace, build equipment and tools and how to use them. Really, the backbone of my former YouTube catalogue only with consistent lighting and sound, coherent logic and menu capability and much more than I posted on YouTube advice.

Dug the old vids and will no doubt dig the new ones, Pete.

And even if I never build a uke of my own, know that your (and other builders on UU) expertise -- and the extent to which you'll share it -- is a great treat. I appreciate it.

Looking forward to the new stuff.

The word sellout does not come to mind. Survival comes to mind. Making a living so as one can eat comes to mind. Most people don't work for free and Pete shouldn't have to either. Wow

Pete,

May I buy some of your videos now please (Whatever you would presently be willing to impart.) For me, it is "must have" TV.
Thanks

Thanks Resoman. I am looking to retire in 11 years when I am 70. I have a small pension and will receive a State pension but need other income streams to make sure the latter part of my life is not spent like the former - practically in penury! I have never understood why the vast majority of the population look with envy on the self employed. Were it not for the great spiritual satisfaction I get from my work, I'd be washing windows to make a living! I'm only glad I live in the UK where health care is 'free' (paid through a 'tax' levy) and in Wales where I do not have to pay for my medication or ongoing treatment (until I die) for hemochromatosis.

You've got a cheek if you are implying that I am selling out when for 8 years my whole workshop practice has been up for view with no monetising or advertising. You really ought to think before slapping me around AL! If I have it right you are part of a generation who expects everything for free whilst offering nothing in return - not even a thank you for helping you understand better the craft. Ingrate! I've spent 40 years acquiring this knowledge and until recently have been happy to give it away but now that's it - you prove my point. How dare you remonstrate with me because I don't meet your expectations. If I knew you and you were a friend, the conversation would be altogether different. I've had to take this sort of mealy mouthed bleating for 8 years and quite frankly, I've had enough of it folks.

Doc-J. You will get all the YouTube stuff re-shot, repackaged and ordered. Our first DVD + plans venture will be titled Building the Luthier's Workshop. Lots of advice and footage of how to organise a workspace, build equipment and tools and how to use them. Really, the backbone of my former YouTube catalogue only with consistent lighting and sound, coherent logic and menu capability and much more than I posted on YouTube advice.

Pete - Ive told you before your video's were a massive inspiration and i along with thousands appreciate that (theres always the odd one or two brain deads that make stupid statements) I look forward to the DVD's in the future.

Ken - I give thumbs down because i wanna hear you talk! - only joking, always a thumbs up from me - i would have given 5 thumbs if youd posted a vid of you cutting your wifes Ebony tray up!

Al - Show some respect - get a life

Wow, the world is full of opinions different than your own eh guys? Show respect get a life? Seriously do you talk to adults in person this way?

OK your right sellout was the incorrect word. The videos were really taken down due to the OP not being able to handle a typical mindless youtube comment whats the word for that? I tend to associate it with the pissed off kid who takes all his toys and goes home.

I did explain myself, the carrot dangled in front of my face was interesting and informative but not worth any scratch. I really do wish his business venture works out for him as I stated before.

I had just subscribed to Petes channel and now I have no reason to remain a subscriber. It hit me like typical drug dealer mentality that many businesses use. Give it to you free then take it away and say pay for it. Not my style more up the alley of corp. giants like micro$$oft.

Pete might be the nicest guy, might make the best ukulele, hell he might have taught me something or even made me smile or laugh but now I'll never know. I simply turn off to certain types of businessmen.

"I am looking to retire in 11 years when I am 70." Seriously Pete you look much younger.

Really its nothing personal, I'm also self employed.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks Pete! I too look forward to seeing your new videos. I have learned a great deal from you and am very appreciative that you have endeavored to make your YouTube videos available for as long as you have.

And I apologize for the ungrateful among us.

I am new to this whole ukulele world but in this short time I have not only found your videos, I found them to be very informative and enjoyable.

My day job is IT but I also do quite a bit of professional photography. As a rule, when I put something out there I never read the comments, those people are not my customers. I only need to satisfy two people in the business transaction, me and my customers with the latter being the most important.

You put a great deal of effort into those videos over the years, thanks for sharing.

Pete -
In the short time I've been involved with building ukes, I've come to rely on your videos (and yes, others) for inspiration, knowledge, and positive attitudes. This thing we do is supposed to be fun, whether as a business or hobby. I've never understood the concept of dissing or giving a "thumbs down" to ANY instructional video posted free on YouTube - if it didn't help or meet someone else's lofty expectations, shut up and move on. The mere fact that the poster took the time and effort to pass on his/her knowledge is enough reason to applaud them. Thank you so much for all that you have given.

I'll soon be retiring and moving from Florida to Texas where I'll have a proper two-car garage to build in. Please put me down for your DVD/plans for a luthier's workshop.

And with this post, I've finally earned coveted "Senior Member" status! I hope that means what I think it means, and not that I'm just an "Old Dick". :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom