Does any one make cigarbox instruments? i have an oddish request

iamesperambient

Reaction score
This is not a ukulele but i need some help. I'm looking for a tambura for the drone music i make and their quite big. I read up that youy can make a cigarbox tambura whcih is a lot smaller with the bridge that allows the string to 'buzz' to create the drone sound with heavy strings. if anyone can make this for me for say 150 bucks I will be willing to pay you plus shipping to usa. please send me an inbox.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but there is a new place in Putnam, CT owned and operated by three musicians (one is a luthier, too) that specializes in cigar box instruments. It is called "String Tinkers" and can be found at www.string tinkers.com

I just visited there last week. I saw a number of their handmade cigar box ukuleles and cigar box guitars as well as some other new and vintage instruments. Really cool place and nice guys. They did a repair on a Uke for me for a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
I have a very nice cigar box soprano scale ukulele from a maker in Alabama. He dos good work and is flexible. I bet he could make it for you.

Here is the Facebook page where I ordered from. https://www.facebook.com/nickelcbg The luthier's name is Joe McCormack.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but there is a new place in Putnam, CT owned and operated by three musicians (one is a luthier, too) that specializes in cigar box instruments. It is called "String Tinkers" and can be found at www.string tinkers.com

I just visited there last week. I saw a number of their handmade cigar box ukuleles and cigar box guitars as well as some other new and vintage instruments. Really cool place and nice guys. They did a repair on a Uke for me for a very reasonable price.

im looking for this
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cigar-box-sitar-tamboura/

i just dont have the skill to even put a set of legos together.
A tambura is an indian drone instrument where the strings and played open used to create drones.

This is set up with the bridge where it creates the buzz sound which creates that drone sound you hear in indian music.

A real tambura is just very expensive and large im looking for the sound but something more portable and a bit cheaper than the professional ones sold for 800 bucks.

It seems like a simple job just like any other cigarbox instrument for someone who knows how to do this...i just have no clue how to do it myself and dont even want to attempt as im not very handy.

Top Bottom