PDA

View Full Version : skinned up my fretboard

Nickie
02-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I messed up....I had a sharp, jagged end of a fret sticking up on my cheap Kala.
I took a file and filed it down, and the file of course slipped off and tore up the wood next to it....the wood is black on top, but underneath it's very light colored, tan...I wonder what the heck they made the fretboard out of....anyway, what should I use to touch it up? the uke in'st a looker, but this just looks nasty...

strumsilly
02-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I've used a dark brown marker used to hide furniture flaws. You can get these in various shades in a hardware/depot store. You might just try a black sharpie.

Nickie
02-18-2014, 06:59 PM
thanks! the black sharpie worked! I wonder wth kinda wood this is....it certainly isn't rosewood, it's blonde.

mr roper
02-19-2014, 02:05 AM
The Lanikai neck I used on my banjolele had a plywood fingerboard with a nice rosewood face. Perfectly acceptable on their bottom of the line uke. I've noticed that the ink in a sharpie type marker will have a purplish hue when used over black paint. I've had better success with a water based marker like Elmers paint markers.

FrankB
02-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Not all rosewood is dark. 63990
Could be anything on a cheaply, however.