Primal Scream - Loaded (uke, melodica & samples)

we tigers

Reaction score
Earlier this week I read Bazmaz's rant about the ukulele always being pigeon holed as the inherent happy instrument. I replied and I wrote that we always like to record 'different' songs. Songs that are depressing, or are about heavy subjects, or are picked from our pretty weird record collection.

A few days later I'm here. At home alone and recording a stupid happy song...
I couldn't help myself. It is stronger than I am. Last week there was a three episode talkshow on the BBC called Danny Baker's Rocking Decades about the seventies, eighties and nineties. I especially liked the episode about the nineties. Probably the decade that for me was most important for my musical education. Not just because of the music that was made then, but also because of the music from other decades that I discovered in that period. And of course because of my age...

Prima Scream was of course featured in Danny Baker's their episode. I don't know if they meant anything over in the US, but in Europe they were quite populair. Especially in the UK Primal Scream was big. The huge hit song for them was Loaded. A song from 1991 that is actually nothing more than a good beat, a well chosen sample from a film (Easy Rider) and a chord sequence that is basically Sympathy for the Devil by the Stones. It lasts for seven minutes and is pretty boring. They trimmed it to 4,5 for a single, but still it's nothing much.

But man it works! When I read the theme for this week's Season I immediately had this song in mind. And I couldn't get rid of it, how hard I tried. So I just had to go with it, and record it. So here it is. I didn't record the vocals, because I can't do a decent gospel choir ;). But you can sing a long if you want to. Just belt "I'm gonna loosen up!" over the horn section and you're there!

The liquid light footage I found on youtube. It's from 1969 and its made by a certain Cecil Hoyt.

Hope you like it.

Top Bottom