build date- 1999
solid koa body, double sound hole
solid mahogany 1 piece neck with koa overlay
high quality die cast tuners [schaller?]
rosewood fretboard and bridge
bone nut and saddle
abalone fret markers at 3,5,7,12,15
semi gloss finish [open pore, not really gloss, but shinier than satin]
I was able to get a great price on this instrument because it has 2 repaired cracks and a "HI belly", a lifting of the top ,and slight tilting of the bridge towards the neck.Intonation is very good and has not changed at all since I have had this instrument , defects seem quite stable. I put a sticker over the ugly top repair which is completely removable, but there is a pic of it w/o sticker. the sticker matches the koa stripes!
$400 plus actual shipping. firm, what I paid
this did not come with a case, so no case, but I will carefully double box, and I can probably come up with an case if you need one for addl $.
Mr. Howlett said it would cost 1095 [pounds, not dollars] for a new one like this, so here's a real bargain. lightly built, easy playing[for an 8] , and great tone. currently wearing Southcoast 8U-NW strings.

sound sample
http://youtu.be/2Y4y4oLqINw

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4howlett logo.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Couple of 8 string lovers are going to kick themselves for not getting this.

Couple of 8 string lovers are going to kick themselves for not getting this.

I sold this instrument to strumsilly. As a sometime mandolin player, I thought the 8 strings on a uke would suit me well, but found I preferred pick on steel to finger on nylon when it came to 8. The defects/repairs described above are as they were in Sept 2010 when I purchased the instrument on Ebay; they are perfectly stable. Despite the flaws, the photos above do not do justice to just how lovely and flamey the koa in this instrument is, it really glows. And the sound, my God, it sounds like a room full of ukuleles, really booming and deep, but with great intonation and excellent separation. Howlett did a great job hear. This is a real bargain.

Disclaimer - although flaws are apparent it is clear that this instrument has not been looked after... Not the fault of the current or latter owner but somewhere along the line this instrument has been subject to extreme humidity or dryness. Please don't do this to lightly hand built instruments. Keep them in an appropriate case....

Disclaimer - although flaws are apparent it is clear that this instrument has not been looked after... Not the fault of the current or latter owner but somewhere along the line this instrument has been subject to extreme humidity or dryness. Please don't do this to lightly hand built instruments. Keep them in an appropriate case....

and that's why it isn't $800, even with it's flaws this is an easy playing, bright sounding instrument. it's defects don't seem to have hurt it's playability or tone. I'm just ready to pass it on and am currently enamored wit a new [ old] baritone.
and we're not blaming you either Pete, I'm glad you're a builder. I'd like to get a hold of one of those basses. wanna trade?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom