Ukes available as part of my crowd-funding campaign!

weitzel

Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm primarily a banjo builder and have been trying to turn that into more of a formal business. To do so I have started a campaign on Indiegogo.com (similar to Kickstarter, for those who are familiar with such things.). I have also built some ukes and thought I would offer those as perks for donating to my campaign at the $500 level. Please check out the campaign at this link - http://igg.me/at/weitzelbanjo/x/5986406
I just joined UU today to let whoever may be interested know - usually I hang out over on the Banjo Hangout forum.
Here are some photos. I've only built one of them, the others will be built after the campaign is over (11 days from now).
They will likely vary from each other, and I'm open to custom suggestions, but would like to stick to a similar body style involving one piece neck and side construction, whether steam bent or flared (both options shown).
The first one has quilted maple back and peghead overlays, salvaged redwood top, and old-growth doug fir neck/sides. It has an incredible 24 frets (for no other reason than I felt like it!).
The second photo is Waltnut with a Cedar top, and sakura soundhole cutout. Please ask or email if you need more specs or wonder if I can do something specific.
Both of the ukes in these photos are sold, but are shown as reference to what is possible here.
Lots of other cool perks available there, too, so take a look!
Black-Uke-Back.jpgBlack Uke Front.jpgDSC04347.jpgDSC04348.jpg

Have you actually built any of the round one, yet? If so, how is the volume? I'd suspect that it would be rather hard to get much volume using a tailpiece and no tie to the top with nylon strings and a solid wood top. The pressure on the bridge with that design is going to be pretty minimal. Granted, banjo ukes are loud as heck but they've got skin tops, not solid wood...

In fact...if you're a banjo builder I'd think it would make more sense to build really nice banjo ukes...there's a lot of demand for nice ones.

John

Have you actually built any of the round one, yet? If so, how is the volume? I'd suspect that it would be rather hard to get much volume using a tailpiece and no tie to the top with nylon strings and a solid wood top. The pressure on the bridge with that design is going to be pretty minimal. Granted, banjo ukes are loud as heck but they've got skin tops, not solid wood...

In fact...if you're a banjo builder I'd think it would make more sense to build really nice banjo ukes...there's a lot of demand for nice ones.

John
what he said:agree:

Not sure how I would have photos of it if I hadn't built it yet, but your point about the talipiece is well taken. The volume is not the loudest, but it is not as quiet as you may think either and the tone itself is quite nice. The tailpiece is adjustable (as with my banjos), to be able to put more down-pressure on the bridge than a standard tailpiece would. I was going more for the look on this one, but that being said, I do plan on making the next one with a standard attached bridge - it will be good to compare the two.
Banjo ukes are also in the near future...

I think both of your builds look fantastic! I especially love the round one. Looking at your link shows what an expert builder you are. I further admire the courage to expose yourself to amateur critics (that can't even bother to read the post) and how well you deal with it.

I have played banjos with a wooden top. The Tahitian model is wood. There is a builder back in New York who does wood as well. As Weitzel says, it's more than what you would expect. I understand the bumblebee is not supposed to be able to fly, but it does it anyhow. Keep on building your bumblebees, neighbor!

Thanks for the compliments! I like the bumblebee analogy, and good to see an Oregon neighbor chime in!

Not sure how I would have photos of it if I hadn't built it yet, ...

Oh, I guess I misinterpreted this line:
Here are some photos. I've only built one of them, the others will be built after the campaign is over (11 days from now).

As for how you'd have photos without having built them...I work with a lot of animators and 3-D artists so I am quite used to seeing "photos" of things that haven't been made yet - you'd be amazed how realistic an image a good 3-D artist can produce!

John

The round one looks exceedingly cool. Very moderne approach. I see you have the tailpiece pulling the strings down to add pressure on the bridge to transfer better, would one get better transfer to a slot, tie, or pin type bridge? Whatever the answer, it looks like a winner.
Folks often confuse tone with volume, I'd love to hear that particular one.

Your designs are gorgeous- whether ukes, banjos or playing cards! All the details really set your work apart visually. A sound sample would definitely help and I agree there might be a better market for banjoleles. Good luck with your project!

Top Bottom