How is almost any finely made custom uke like a Fiat Abarth 500?

bborzell

Reaction score
Well, other than the obvious, they are both totally unnecessary, but can turn heads and ears quicker than most things on the planet.

This particular comparison occurred to me the other day in an entirely kinesthetic kind of way. I know how I respond to seeing a beautifully made uke that I don't own. It is almost a physical response; pretty moving. And that same reaction recently happened upon me as I pulled up to a stop light alongside an Abarth. I don't know if it was the body shape, the color, the exhaust note or what, but for about 30 seconds, I had to have one. Pretty much what I feel when I encounter just the right uke.

Fortunately for me, I am well versed in the dynamics of overcoming addictive impluses so, as in the case with any number of ukes that I have picked up, played and been able to move on, the lust for the Abarth lasted only through two more stop lights.

I have now returned to normalcy.

Fiat

53 Autobianchi; (2) 54 Fiat 500 motorized,enclosed roller skates. Even in the 60s, Abarth made mouths stand open!

yep one of the old Fiat 650's....rear engine....loved going DOWN hill

80 something (82?) Fiat Strada. Decent car but total pain in the arse to work on. I'll never own another Italian car.

John

Owned a Fiat 850 in the late 60s, nice blue, 4 cylinder thing that really whined when driven on the highway. The engine basically rattled itself apart over about two years of ownership. But those bucket seats and the Italian steering wheel and the cool dashboard were fun.

'74 X-1/9 with some Abarth equipment from Al Cosentino. If you went out to the garage on a real quiet night, you could HEAR it rusting.

In 1974, you could hear a whole lot of cars rusting, including Honda Preludes.:(

Ask me how I know.

looks like i will never get that bmw porsche etc. just as well as i am a truck person. i make people happy with unique cabinetmaking with that truck and you can't stuff that emotional content into a cool car. and so it goes with ukuleles which are kin with my 2wd toyota pickup. you can get some very acceptable basic and mid level ukes that will do the job just as well.
be happy with yourself and the cool swag you've got.

80 something (82?) Fiat Strada. Decent car but total pain in the arse to work on. I'll never own another Italian car.

John

I just remembered, Fiat now owns Chrysler lock, stock, and barrel. However, after having a brand new Neon fall apart on me in less than three years and 70k miles I can still say with reasonable confidence that I'll never own another Italian car... LOL

John

'69 neon green 850 spider. I glued peace symbol buttons over the Fiat logos. Looked like they were OEM! Love / hate relationship.

I don't do Fiat but I have a Moto Guzzi! "Datsa notta noise, eetsa sound!"

I don't own a darn thing Italian....I think the new Fiat is very cute....but I don't want a car payment....I'll stick to my 12 year old Saturn till it won't run anymore....I can get a nice uke for what a car payment costs...
Dated a guy in HS with a Ducati motorcycle, is was BAD to the bone!

Well, other than the obvious, they are both totally unnecessary, but can turn heads and ears quicker than most things on the planet.

This particular comparison occurred to me the other day in an entirely kinesthetic kind of way. I know how I respond to seeing a beautifully made uke that I don't own. It is almost a physical response; pretty moving. And that same reaction recently happened upon me as I pulled up to a stop light alongside an Abarth. I don't know if it was the body shape, the color, the exhaust note or what, but for about 30 seconds, I had to have one. Pretty much what I feel when I encounter just the right uke.

Fortunately for me, I am well versed in the dynamics of overcoming addictive impluses so, as in the case with any number of ukes that I have picked up, played and been able to move on, the lust for the Abarth lasted only through two more stop lights.

I have now returned to normalcy.

This is a great thread, and great analogy...

I used to experience that same kind of lust whenever I had seen certain cars.

First it was the Lamborghini Countach, next was the Bugatti Veyron, then later the Ferrari 308 & Testarossa, Aside from the obvious sticker shock, once I realized the investment in both time and cost for active maintenance to keep one of these cars alive as a daily driver, never mind the insurance payments, and the constant fear of it getting stolen or smashed by a shopping cart and ruining the beautiful paint job, I was quickly and easily weaned away from such lust.

After that I started looking into kit-cars that were look-alikes but built on either Chevy or Volkswagen chassis, and essentially something you could DIY any repairs since YOU in fact would BUILD the car.

When the Mini Cooper first came to the USA, I wanted one real bad, but like bborzell, learned somehow to overcome these impulses...

In the end, I ended up sticking with factory-made/retail Volkswagen for a while, and when my 12 yr old Jetta was about to crap out beyond the reasonable cost to repair vs resale value (3rd time clutch replacement & transmission problems), when my Grandparents finally decided they no longer needed a car (at 85 yrs old) I inherited a used 1999 Toyota Camry XLE (6-cyl) with every possible upgrade.

I am very happy with my now 15 yr old Toyota Camry, which I have now owned for 5 of it's 15 yrs, and it has had the lowest requirement for repairs of any car I have ever owned, and thus the least expensive to own, while also getting around 32 mpg.

The only time I needed the services of a mechanic was to get the water pump replaced, about 950 miles into a 1,300 mile trip, on it's MAIDEN voyage under my care, when it died just outside of Washington DC, just over the border into Maryland, when driving it home from Florida, north on I-95. That was in May 2009.

Since then, I've only had to put in a new battery, and new tires but that's it.

So how does this all relate to the ukulele?

Well, while I might drool over the 'K' brands or a Moore Bettah, Pete Howlett or Mya Moe custom instrument, or even consider a vintage Martin or Gibson, I am actually very happy with KALA, Epiphone and Magic Fluke Company, which are kind of like the Volkswagen or Toyota level.

Were I to own one of these custom ukes, I'd be afraid to take it out of the house, afraid to play it too much for fear of scratching or dinging it up, and as such I would never be able to really appreciate it, much the same way with the fancy Italian race-come-street cars.

Some may consider this an artificial or self-imposed mental block, but...

Unfortunately, when you have nice things, and other folks around you are just careless, when those nice things inevitably and always get bashed up, they are expensive to repair or replace.

If my current stable of commodity-level instruments were damaged beyond a certain level, and I was unable to inexpensively hack my way with amateur attempts at lutherie to fix them, I'd just replace them with like and same, which can be done at reasonable cost.

I'd also really like to avoid the bother of building and maintaining a hermetically-sealed and humidified closet for a collection of all solid-bodied instruments, which is what I'd be compelled to do if I went that route...

Same applies if I were to somehow win a Bugatti Veyron (or similar) in a raffle, I'd sell it and then buy 2 identical Toyotas (one to drive, and one for parts (and learn to fix it myself) or to drive if ever the other was in the shop), and probably some kind of hybrid flavor too. I work with computers so I do not need a larger vehicle like a truck or van.

Were I to win a Lichty, Compass Rose, Mya Moe, or Kamaka, I'd probably sell it (after evaluating it for about a month or so) and then buy 3-4 Kala or Luna ukes in it's place, which I would play the shite out of for all they were worth...

But, I do appreciate the fine curves of the Italian cars, and one day will evaluate maybe getting a Corvette (to buy American, of course, if in fact they are still even made in the USA), if the cost-of-ownership is not unreasonable to have it as a daily driver....(provided that also when the time comes I am not too fat to get in and out of the vehicle comfortably) :)

If you've owned a Fiat, you've either got A) well-developed shoulder and back muscles from having to push it up the street so often, and/or B) a personal relationship with the tow-truck dispatcher at AAA.

My ex had a Fiat, and I've got the emotional scars (and the shoulders) to prove it.

Life is too precious not be enjoyed to it's fullest. Puritan ethos ruined smiles. Playing a high end custom instrument is not the same experience as playing those others and no amount of rationalizing will never change that.

and I do drive a '13 FIAT 500T w/ 30k miles and have never had a serious issue(it does have some Italian quirkiness)
;)
To date, some things are just as pleasant to interact with the 1st time as the 500th time. I can't say that was true with my Civic or Dolphin.

I had a Fiat Dino in the mid 70's. loved it until I found out what a tune-up cost. sold it and got a VW bus, not as fun to drive but much more being in it.

When I was a teenager, I lusted for a Fiat 128. A little box of a car that you couldn't tell if it was coming or going. I wanted one for years but it never happened. Okay by me since deep down it was the BMW 2002 (another little box) that I truly wanted. I guess I thought the BMW was out of reach so the Fiat was the next best thing. One day about 17 years later I came across a beauuuutiful 1971 BMW 2002 tii and I bought it. It was kinda the thrill of a lifetime. I loved that car. Was a dream come true.

I wonder if I had bought the Fiat would that have diluted my lust for the real thing? Dunno, but the reality of owning the Bimmer was somewhat different than wanting it. It simply wasn't a daily "player". It wasn't modern and it could't be made modern. So I bought a VW GTi. (the best car ever) And after many years of only weekend driving -I sold the BMW to a real collector. And he barely drove it.

So a high end uke should still be able to be a daily player for most folk, I think.
I am a builder and I keep that in mind with every one I build.

Last edited:
Top Bottom