End of Year Extravaganza II - Nominations for Seasonista of the Year Now Open

redpaul1

Reaction score
So, as the 2nd Year (OK 2nd set of 52 Seasons) comes to a close, it is now time to open the nominations for the Seasonista of the Year Awards.

To help you in your voting, I have just finished compiling all the stats for Seasons 53-104.

E&OE, in all, 155 Seasonistas (& Seasonistos(!)) took part, of whom 70 (seventy!) were new to the Seasons, 8 of whom had not picked up a uke (AFAIK) before Feb 2013, when Season 53 began. So take a bow:

CharlotteC, ChrisDeston821, Cohumulone, cua94, hucklelele, Lumpy Wafflesquirt, milliron and UkeCan1.

And welcome to all our other newcomers:

4thmonth, Benlawdvig, bhart, bigchiz, Billmo, bird's eye view of my uke, Bland Mango Patterson, BolD, booli, bunnyflower, CeeJay, CTurner, dirtiestkidever, dkcrown, dktoller,
Dwitt, frazian, frisbee fred, froliks, GeorgeUke, ghigo, Gillian, greenie44, HarmonyBtone, IvantheT, joeygibson, justincaseuke81, jwieties, Kyle23, lakesideglenn, laura809, lelouden, lennymac, liamfsus7, librainian, Mandalyn, mattyukaholic, Mountainuker, mythinformed, ombracorta, phooto, pootsie, rem50, Sammu, SammyBee, Shady Wilbury, soupking, southside mike, srax,
Stephen Reed, strumdaddy, TCW, TheUkeBloke, Tim Mullins, ukejenny, Ukulelehan96, UncleMoon, unluckymum, vancemo, vct33, wrestlingmatt51
and Yeti&Kira.

On average, each Season attracted 42 participants, with Season 82(!) attracting the highest number of participants at 67.

Seasons 53-104 saw a total of 3,259 entries and 955 bonuses submitted, i.e., an average of 9 entries and 3 bonuses per day, or 71 entries and 21 bonuses per Season. Each Seasonista/Seasonisto submitted 1.5 entries and 0.5 bonuses per Season.

The top 20 contributors were:

pabrizzer, TheOnlyUkeThatMatters, thesillydave, xommen,
~dave~~wave~, mattydee, wee_ginga_yin, decaturcomp, myrnaukulele,
TCK, UkeyDave, Jazzbanjorex, peewee, redpaul1, Tootler, Barbablanca,
uke4ia, bonesigh, Dougf
and frisbee fred,

with

southside mike, strumsilly, wetigers, Joko, Shady Wilbury, wallyboy,
Dwitt, max2173, BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke, greenie44, ukuleledaveey, chrimess,
erivel, Raygf, ukuleledaddy, FiL, librainian, TheUkeBloke, GinnyT11, elmann,
eugene ukulele, bbbannister, greyghost, lelouden, ksiegel, ukuLily Mars, Rustyy,
The Ukelites, hochapeafarm, mikef,
and UkeCan1 making up the top 50.

UkeCan1 has notched up an impressive number of hits (approaching 500!) for her 17 appearances, but the record, by a country mile, goes to Seasons' newcomer wrestlingmatt51 who has chalked up over 890 hits in just over two weeks for just one entry, his 'Rag Mama Rag' for frisbee fred's Season 102.

I was going squiffy-eyed at times compiling these numbers, so, I've put the spreadsheets onto Dropbox for you to view, and if necessary correct.

Nonetheless these numbers should give you some idea why, at the start of this process, I was so keen to have some kind of prior filter before opening nominations. However, I was talked out of it to allow “people's choice” – a people's choice that, in the end never materialised.

So consequently, I'm throwing open all nominations, for Video awards as well as for Seasonista awards.

To remind you, in addition to the awards presented in Year I of the Seasons, namely:
Aloha Winner of the Year
Most Improved Player
Most Excellent Host
Seasonista With Whom You'd Most Like To Enter The Seasons
Style Award/Player of the Year​

this time around, there will be two new awards on offer, namely:
Best Newcomer to the Seasons, and
Rookie of the Year.​

The Video of the Year awards remain

Best Overall Performance
Best Duet/Group
Best Original Song
Funniest Video
People's Choice Video of the Year​

Nominating and Seconding

Nominations will be public. This to avoid duplicating nominations. Anyone can nominate. However, nominations will need to be seconded. Each nomination can have as many seconds as are willing to second. The top five nominations will make it through to the awards round.
For this reason, seconding will be via PM to me.

Nominations that have already been made have already been recorded and will not need to be made again. But to have your preferred choice win, you need to second like crazy.

Good luck and get voting. Voting closes at the end of Season 106.

Seasonista participation stats can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuobb5dtq1e1zfm/Seasonistas.xls
Seasons participation stats can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vqgyq50aqmogzz/Seasons%20stats.xls

A list of all the hosts of Seasons 53-104 can be found either in ukuloonie's Putting Together All The Seasons Of The Ukulele, or in the various appeals I have made for nominations for Video of The Year.

Last edited:
ALOHA - decaturcomp
MOST IMPROVED - Max2173 / hochapeafarm
HOST - Ginny T
MOST LIKE TO ENTER WITH - TCK
STYLE - we tigers / Ukelites
NEWCOMER - Shady Wilbury
ROOKIE - ukecan1
BEST PERFORMANCE - Filipinouker "Calendar Girl" (55); 23skidoo & Woven Pines "Sin City" (55)
DUET/GROUP - Ukelites
ORIGINAL SONG - Barbablanca "The Deepest Hell" (84)
FUNNIEST - Joko "The Ukulele Song" (67) / thesillydave (gotta go find it...)
VIDEO OF THE YEAR - we tigers "Minas de Cobre" (93)

And can I just say Paul, thankyou for the effort and energy you have put into this thus far mate.

You deserve a medal or at least a massive group hug. Cheers brother.

Also, a massive shout out from me to uke4ia for some absolutely stunning originals through the year. Awesome Jim, I look forward to every one.

ALOHA - decaturcomp
MOST IMPROVED - Max2173 / hochapeafarm
HOST - Ginny T
MOST LIKE TO ENTER WITH - TCK
STYLE - we tigers / Ukelites
NEWCOMER - Shady Wilbury
ROOKIE - ukecan1
BEST PERFORMANCE - Filipinouker "Calendar Girl" (55); 23skidoo & Woven Pines "Sin City" (55)
DUET/GROUP - Ukelites
ORIGINAL SONG - Barbablanca "The Deepest Hell" (84)
FUNNIEST - Joko "The Ukulele Song" (67) / thesillydave (gotta go find it...)
VIDEO OF THE YEAR - we tigers "Minas de Cobre" (93)

Thanks Jon for kicking things off.

And can I just say Paul, thankyou for the effort and energy you have put into this thus far mate.

You deserve a medal or at least a massive group hug. Cheers brother.

Thanks again, but no hugs by request - just send nominations and votes!

Some more stats :) Seasonistas & where they came from in Seasons 53-104

I know UkeyDave does like his pies, so just for you Dave, here's a pie chart of participation by country in Seasons 53-104.

Seasonistas.jpg

Ideally, these raw numbers should be weighted by total videos uploaded, but I'll leave that to someone else to do :/

Fun fact of the day: pie charts were invented by Florence Nightingale :)

Last edited:
Review of the Year - hosts and the Seasons they hosted pt 1

So one last time, let me remind you of our hosts and the seasons they hosted.

GinnyT11 and Pabrizzer lead the way, each hosting 3 Seasons (59, 71, & 89 and 55, 68 & 104, respectively), followed by 9 others who hosted two Seasons each: decaturcomp (who hosted Seasons 65 & 100); dougf (57 & 79); electrauke (58 & 97); frisbee fred (77 & 102); mattydee (60 & 92); Mikef (61 & 91), myrnaukulele (72 & 101); TCK (54 & 87); tootler (63 & 96) and ukuLily Mars (75 & 88).

There are 5 Seasons in which we are still awaiting the announcement of a winner.

All the hosts will be listed in the following post (not enough room in this one)...

Last edited:
Review of the Year - hosts and the Seasons they hosted pt 2

So one last time, let me remind you of all our hosts and the seasons they hosted:

Week 53 Hosted by OldPhart. Theme: Second chance to bring home the Bacon.

Week 54 Hosted by TCK Theme: Birds

Week 55 Hosted by Pabrizzer Theme: Location, Location, Location.

Week 56 Hosted by FIL Theme: FiL's Favorite Texas Singer-Songwriters

Week 57 Hosted by dougf Theme: Songs within Songs

Week 58 Hosted by electrauke Theme: Instrumentals

Week 59 Hosted by GinnyT11 Theme: Where has the time gone

Week 60 Hosted by mattydee Theme: They're singing our song

Week 61 Hosted by MikeF Theme: THE MUPPETS

Week 62 Hosted by Strumsilly Theme: Water

Week 63 Hosted by Tootler Theme: 'Now is the month of Maying': songs about springtime.

Week 64 Hosted by ~dave~~wave~ Theme: Louisiana Hot Sauce

Week 65 Hosted by decaturcomp Theme: Dead Skunks & Why Don't We Do It In The Road? Road Songs!

Week 66 Hosted by TheOnlyUkeThatMatters Theme: Gabba, Gabba, Hey! Songs by the Ramones

Week 67 Hosted by eugene ukulele Theme: So Damn Happy - Songs of Louden Wainwright III

Week 68 Hosted by PaBrizzer Theme: Food, Glorious Food

Week 69 Hosted by Joko Theme: Songs to teach [EFL] with

Week 70 Hosted by krabbers Theme: Three Little Words - songs with only 3 words in the title

Week 71 Hosted by Ginny3T11 Theme: NAME GAME dance party

Week 72 Hosted by myrnaukulele Theme: Canada Week

Week 73 Hosted by bbbannister Theme: Freedom, or is that anarchy?

Week 74 Hosted by alemarco Theme: It's a Fact

Week 75 Hosted by UkuLily Mars Theme: And We're Off!! To the Races

Week 76 Hosted by Pueo Theme: Happy Birthday Jerry! Songs related to the Grateful Dead

Week 77 Hosted by Frisbee Fred Theme: Give My Regards To Broadway

Week 78 Hosted by Wongo Theme: Madness & Ska Week

Week 79 Hosted by dougf Theme: You must remember this

Week 80 Hosted by we tigers Theme: Read All About It

Week 81 Hosted by barbablanca Theme: Pastiches, or in other words

Week 82 Hosted by ukeeku Theme: Heartbreak And Disappointment

Week 83 Hosted by UkeyDave Theme: Let's Get Emotional

Week 84 Hosted by 23skidoo Theme: Put Your Best Foot Forward

Week 85 Hosted by WallyBoy Theme: Tamla Motown and the sound of the 60s

Week 86 Hosted by Austin1 Theme: Third time's a charm: Disney, Queen or Classical

Week 87 Hosted by TCK Theme: Happy Hour! Songs about sherberts

Week 88 Hosted by Ukulily Mars Theme: Forget what you know

Week 89 Hosted by GinnyT311 Theme: The Zombie BODY PARTS Monster Mash!

Week 90 Hosted by max2173 Theme: When you were young (did you take a walk on the wild side?).

Week 91 Hosted by MikeF Theme: Sex Change

Week 92 Hosted by mattydee Theme: Na-na-na-na-na Nonsense Songs

Week 93 Hosted by The Ukelites Theme: Metal

Week 94 Hosted by vct33 Theme: Opposites

Week 95 Hosted by BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele Theme: Sounds of The Seventies

Week 96 Hosted by tootler Theme: Have Yourself A Rockin' Christmas

Week 97 Hosted by electrauke Theme: Lost In Mexico.

Week 98 Hosted by 29moons Theme: I Want My MTV!

Week 99 Hosted by GaryC1968 Theme: Selling Out - songs featured in commercials

Week 100 Hosted by decaturcomp Theme: Magic And Loss - songs remembering musicians who died in 2013, or about the loss of a loved one

Week 101 Hosted by myrnaukulele Theme: Respect For The Cold

Week 102 Hosted by frisbee fred Theme: The Bluer The Better! Just The Blues

Week 103 Hosted by ukuloonie Theme: Geometric Shapes

Week 104 Hosted by pabrizzer Theme: Throw Your Hat Into The Ring

Last edited:
wow paul thanks for the stats and the graph and the lists and the memories!

my only problem now is a. to stop simply marvelling at how fab the seasons are and b. how on earth do you pick out your faves when everyone and everything is so great???

Wow, Paul, this is a good use of your computational powers! Thanks for all your watching and your work.

As a reminder, if you've posted one entry in a Season you're a full-fledged Seasonista, so please join the group to have this cool image on your profile page.

Seasonistas.jpg

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...hp?groupid=248
In the upper right, there's a drop-down menu called Group Tools, with an option to Join.

So one last time, let me remind you of our hosts and the seasons they hosted.

Pabrizzer leads the way, hosting 3 Seasons (55, 68 & 104), followed by 9 others who hosted two Seasons each: decaturcomp (who hosted Seasons 65 & 100); dougf (57 & 79); electrauke (58 & 97); frisbee fred (77 & 102); GinnyT11 (59 & 89); Mikef (61 & 91), myrnaukulele (72 & 101); TCK (54 & 87); tootler (63 & 96) and ukuLily Mars (75 & 88).

There are 5 Seasons in which we are still awaiting the announcement of a winner.

All the hosts will be listed in the following post (not enough room in this one)...

So one last time, let me remind you of all our hosts and the seasons they hosted:

[snip]

Week 59 Hosted by GinnyT11 Theme: Where has the time gone

Week 61 Hosted by MikeF Theme: THE MUPPETS

[/snip]

Ummm, i hosted 2 seasons, as well, 60 and 92. Somehow 60 went missing in your long list, which is why, I bet, you missed me out above...

Last edited:
Also, if I second a nomination, does that mean I can't make my own nomination in that particular category?

Never mind, this is how I'm doing it, anyway. I'll send you my seconds in a PM

Aloha Winner of the YearGinny, Eugene Ukulele.
Most Improved Player Ukuleledaddy, 29moons
Most Excellent Host Pabrizzer, TCK
Seasonista With Whom You'd Most Like To Enter The Seasons OnlyUkeThatMatters, EugeneUkulele, SillyDave, austin1, chrimess
Style Award/Player of the Year onlyukethatmatters, eugene ukulele

Best Newcomer to the Seasons: Libranian
Rookie of the Year: Benlawdvig

Let's try and get a list done:

Aloha Winner of the Year
There can be only one... Definitely Alan/Decaturcomp!

Most Improved Player
my vote goes to Xommen. Not just improvement in playing, but in singing as well.

Most Excellent Host
Who other than GinnyT11?

Seasonista With Whom You'd Most Like To Enter The Seasons
Can I make a list?... I'll narrow it down to two then. Erivel and 23Skidooooo.

Style Award/Player of the Year
If you've got ukulele tattooed on your knuckles you've got heaps of style... so it's Eugene.
But Jon needs to share the spotlight with Ralf/theonlyukethatmatters! He has done a bunch of fantastic videos this year! Check out his entry for our literature season (80) Black Blade for instance!

Best Newcomer to the Seasons, and
Rookie of the Year.

I'm going to go for BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke. Will we ever find out what she looks like?

Best Overall Performance
Tough choice. I tend to watch entries early in the morning on my iphone while I'm making cappuccino's. One the faces that pops up almost every morning is Dave's. I always enjoy his videos and his introductionary stories. So I'll choose TCK.

Best Duet/Group
Ombracorte for his version of Nick Cave's Red Right Hand

Best Original Song
Uke4ia with his song No One Cool Ever Came From Hufflepuff

Funniest Video
Peewee did a bunch of videos that were hilarious or at the least very funny. He did a great Talking Heads song in which in he pretty much lost it. The videos with his daughter were all great and his Remember from season 79 was fantastic.

People's Choice Video of the Year
The Ukelites with their version of Heatwave. Brilliant!

Last edited:
Mattydee has speculated whether asking people to nominate publically is putting people off nominating. He may well have a point. Therefore, I'm opening the process to nomination by PM. If someone gets nominated more than one time, I'll treat the second nomination as, well, a "second" :)

Top Bottom