Some uke stats, just for fun!

aaronckeim

Reaction score
Hey Folks- Recently it seems like we have been building more concert ukes than normal. Then I realized that when you look at it long term, it is probably just normal variation in orders. Just for fun, I though I would check some stats by searching our database through our web gallery. http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallery.php

Here are % of ukes built according to size:
Soprano- 3.3%
Super Soprano- 5.7%
Concert- 17.6%
Tenor- 67.8%
Baritone- 5.4%

And by a few tone woods:
Koa- 25.8%
Mahogany- 5.4%
Myrtle- 26.9%
Mango- 15.6%
Soft wood tops (spruce, cedar, redwood, etc...) with other backs/sides- 21%

Instruments built with only North American wood: 5%

Anyway, just some food for thought. Feel free to search around and draw your own conclusions.

Cheers!
A

Don't fret Eugene....here are my stats

Soprano 98.9%
Concert 0%
Tenor 1.1%
Baritone. 0%. :D

Interesting - that's pretty reflective of my experience playing with other uke players in general. I'm nearly always the lone soprano, with tenors usually the majority and concerts a distant second.

Very interesting. I had no idea that it would break down like this. Funny that mahogany and sopranos are so under represented given what a common uke type that has been through the age (though i think I have a clue about the mahogany breakdown for Timbuck's ukes). I guess people who buy custom ukes are less likely to get more 'standard' configurations like that.

Cool stuff Aaron! The geographer in me just can't help but wonder how the distribution is affected by the location of the purchaser. For example, do Americans prefer one size over another, what about the Japanese? Europeans? You could also throw in male/female preferences for different sized instruments. I'm not asking for anyone to give any proprietary market research, just thinking out loud. Cool topic and thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom