Fleamarket cricket violin?

Sorry if I don't quite understand your question. But to me it's exactly as they say, a travel-ready, full-size violin. And pretty indestructible too, like the Fleas/Flukes. Though I have to say, I was sadly disappointed to see this particular product of theirs is not a uke. Nice that they're expanding, but still... I was hoping for a bowed uke. :( Oh well. Kinda makes me wonder if I should re-venture into the violin world, after the one horrid year of lessons I had as a teenager. :eek:

Looking more into it yeah, it looks like a normal violin. I never played violin but I was never able to play the pardessus viola da gamba with a 32cm scale since my fingertips are too fat. Lookslike a full sized violin has a 33cm scale. If I knew I could finger this thing I'd probably pick one up and try to transfer my viola da gamba skills over to violin.

One problem: as a 4 stringed bowed instrument tuning in 4ths and 3rd doesn't get you the range tunings in 5ths would. Then they would need to produce a 6 string pardessus with gamba tuning that's held and bowed like a violin. That would definitely excite guitar players.

Okay just checked. A normal soprano ukulele has a 33cm scale as well. Okay at about the 9th fret or so I can no longer finger half steps run with adjacent frets, can't jam my fingers together that tight...oops that's on a 14"/35cm soprano I have that problem.

Last edited:
We saw this at NAMM, really well made and sounds good too.
My GF plays violin and liked it a lot, she want to buy one.

OMG! I must be crazy.

I Just ordered one.

You see I did 4 years of violin when I was 9, and a real violin is beyond my means or interest. it's even more delicate then a uke etc...

But a Cricket, made by FleaMarket, I have faith in them and from the video it looks great. Plus it will go with my Firefly, Fluke and Flea.

Funny that the bow is only $26.00 My sisters have bows that cost between $5000 and $10,000!!!

anyway I ordered one, seems to be available with a walnut and or maple neck, but no choice when ordering so I will need to write to them. And needless to say I had to splurge for pegheds...

hope it's as much fun as it looks and that I remember some!

Nice! This looks like a fantastic piece of coolness for fiddlers.

Thank you Olarte, now I can put off ordering one for a while. :D Too bad there's no longer a Flea in this house... I still regret that and will have to remedy it soonner rather than later. B.C. Before Cricket. LOL

I'll be sure to post a short review right after I get it :)

Thank you Olarte, now I can put off ordering one for a while. :D Too bad there's no longer a Flea in this house... I still regret that and will have to remedy it soonner rather than later. B.C. Before Cricket. LOL

I'm psyched, they might be shipping it by tomorrow or Friday.

I was expecting it to be another two weeks but I may get it as early as Friday or Monday.... Woohooo!

I'm psyched, they might be shipping it by tomorrow or Friday.

I was expecting it to be another two weeks but I may get it as early as Friday or Monday.... Woohooo!

Hi Ivan,

I am looking forwards to your review (hopefully with sound sample) as I am interested in the Cricket as well since violin was my 1st instrument when i was 5 yrs old, also my niece (9 yrs old) is currently renting a violin from the school band program, and she's been at it for 3 yrs now, and my sister has been talking about just buying her one to keep, and methinks this would be a good one.

I have a concert Flea and a tenor Fluke so I am familiar with the high quality from Magic Fluke company.

Please keep us posted here in the thread when you post our review.

Thanks,

Booli

I already have my first "Debut\Project" in mind.

I plan to do an instrumental arrangement of Autumn Leaves.

Some light percusion, Ubass track, and some easy\scale "ornaments" on the cricket. then mix that with a video of a Jazz improv on one of my ukes!

I'm SOOOO excited about returning to violin and what a better way than to do it light hearted with a great product from the MagicFluke company.

It will take me a while to get in shape for this debut so in the meantime I will post pictures and a short review when I get the "Cricket" hopefully this weekend!!!!

I also spoke with my sister this morning, she is a professional Violinist from Julliard. We will get together in the spring for a few days so she can work with me on getting up to speed! this is so awesome!

Just got an e-mail from MagicFluke.

I've been in touch with them about my order and I guess due to my anticipation, they are expediting the order... it's shipping TODAY! so I should have it by tomorrow or saturday\monday at the latest.

I will keep you all posted! :shaka:

Sweet, then you can also post your sister's take on this instrument as well. It's scary how many size variations there are on violin.

OK, I normally find at least a few resources of information when I'm contemplating a new product or technology.
Well I could only find one video and no information or reviews on The Cricket violin from the Magic Fluke Company.

So I decided to play it forward and write my own review along with a photo gallery and video review. It's may way of paying back for all the countless times I found the information I need from others that took the time to share what they found.

So here I am sharing what I found and I'm happy to say that I love the Cricket... and the proof is that I spend most of today putting together what I consider a comprehensive and thorough review of this new innovation from the Magic Fluke Company.

I have started a new thread for my review so we can comment there. That thread has links to all the information that I put together.

If you like my review and video please spread the word and leave a comment, specially on youtube so others can benefit from the work I put into it.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?93533-The-%93Cricket%94-Violin-by-the-Magic-Fluke-company-A-Personal-Review%85&p=1485822#post1485822

Thanks!
Ivan Olarte

Top Bottom