New from Virginia

pixiepurls

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my daughter a super cute kids wood Hohner ukulele half price at a toy shop going out of business. I gave it to my daughter for her 4th birthday. She has had two lessons (we now go every friday) and I had wanted to learn with her but as it turns out the teacher is excellent at keeping her busy all 30 minutes and learning really well. She knows "C" and "A" and has been learning to pluck individual strings. Two lessons in! She's 4! And she's a firecracker! She had a huge blister on her finger after her first lesson which cracked me up, I had no idea a little 4 year old could rock it so well!

Anyway, I thought I could just learn on my own, and of course I'll be able to soak up what the teacher tells her and take some of that and apply it myself.

I was thinking of buying myself one, but I'm a bit of a snob and I know I would want to spend $200 on a nice one so I am hoping I can start learning on hers and then if I actually see myself learning and improving then I can justify getting a nice.

Any suggestions on where to start online to teach myself when I am alone without her?

I am assuming her Uke is smaller then a regular soprano but I can't tell. We put really nice strings on it too; Aquila AQ-S Nylgut. Recommended by a Facebook friend. I like the sound of them over the ones that came on it.

I know how to tune it. I use an app on my phone.

It would be SO amazing to be able to play with her, and to be able to play a song period.

I dabbled in 2 months of piano lessons many years ago, and I know a little about violin because my older daughter takes lessons and I rented one for myself the first 3 months to make sure I could help her probably at the start.

I am 35 with little to no musical background :)

Welcome to UU,

You can get started by clicking the link at the top of the page "Learn to Play the Ukulele".
Any teacher who can keep a 4 year old going on a uke is a rare find.

Aloha and welcome to UU. Also welcome to the ukulele. It's a great instrument.

If she can learn the F chord (similar to A) and the tougher G (or G7) then she has mastered the basics a lot of songs at 4!

If you are in Virginia and want a uke, talk to Mim http://mimsukes.com . She's SE of Roanoke along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Floyd and a very nice lady who knows ukes. She can match you up with the right uke.

Glad you joined us and keep us posted

Greetings. Aside fro the link above, lots of great tutorials online. Search how to play the ukulele. Many sites. On youtube, many tutorials, just search ukulele, how to _________________ and fill in the blank with tune, strum, hold, change strings, do a setup, check intonation, etc., ad infinitum.

Welcome to the Forum!

Top Bottom