i can't get the normal sound for my uke :(

uke begginer

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm a very new ukulele user, 1 week :), i boght a cheep one, a Mahalo art series, and a tuner. I was trying to get it in tune, done that but i'm not getting the sound of the chords that i've heard on many ukulele tutorials i've watched. it's supposed to be G-C-E-A, with A being higher than G and my E sounds too low, and all this after the uke is in tune according to the tuner. Anyone knows what is the problem? It might be the uke, not good, or the tuner? I was checking before a thread about this and couldn't find, if there is any please lead me there with a link. :) Thank you so much!!!

One thing that you may want to try is turn the tuner on to chromatic mode and watch the notes played from there. It can give you a much clearer picture of what is actually going on with the tuning rather than the fact that it's just not right.
Bill

You could also check the tuning by using an ipad or phone tuner app - several free web based ones available too. New uke strings can go out of tune very very quickly as well, need constant checking for a while.

My first uke was the same one, and with the stock strings it NEVER stayed in tune. I tightened up the nuts on the back of the tuners (little cute dolphin tuners!!!) and it helped a LITTLE but it got MUCH better when I put real strings on it (I had a spare pair of Aquilas...B2G1 FREE WOO!!! Ok...it's early and I haven't slept...don't mind me.) Anyhow, it actually sounds pretty great with those strings. I use it as my travel ukulele so it gets a bit beat up...but it was an easy $6 fix.

It sounds like your E string is simply tuned an octave too low. One clue is the string tension should be approximately the same across all four strings. None should be super loose or tight.

Remember that an electronic tuner will read the correct note in every octave (well, to the limits of the tuner, typically the very low octaves are less likely to be read by the tuner). Anyway, you have an E at one specific pitch and the tuner will read "in tune" at that E. But, if you keep tightening the string then there will be another "E" a full octave above the first, and so on.

John

This was my guess as well. If your E string sounds way too low, then you need to tighten it up to an E one octave up.

My first ukulele was my son's blue Mahalo and the action was very high. Even after tuning, when I would push down the strings to form a chord, it would go out of tune because I was having to push so far down. It was making the string go sharp with the extra distance having to be covered. Also, the ukulele was out of tune from fret to fret, so no matter what I did, it wouldn't play in tune. I lowered the nut slots and put a set of "real" strings on it. Still plays out of tune.

It sounds like your E string is simply tuned an octave too low. One clue is the string tension should be approximately the same across all four strings. None should be super loose or tight.

Remember that an electronic tuner will read the correct note in every octave (well, to the limits of the tuner, typically the very low octaves are less likely to be read by the tuner). Anyway, you have an E at one specific pitch and the tuner will read "in tune" at that E. But, if you keep tightening the string then there will be another "E" a full octave above the first, and so on.

John

Some tuners have different settings for uke, bass, guitar, etc. Make sure your tuner is set on chromatic or uke.

–Lori

After you tune with the tuner, check the relative tuning of the ukulele.
It will disclose octave and intonation issues.
(example 4th fret on the "C" string should be the same tone as the open "E" string)

Thank you all for your answers, my problem was the E chord too low, and A chord same, so i put more tension on that string and than ideed the tuner showed me another E,the good one :) the one that I needed. I still have to learn a LOT about ukulele and music in general. Thank you again :)

Top Bottom