Pineapple Ukes

WKerrigan

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any particular advantages or disadvantages to the pineapple shape. Different sound? Easier or harder to hold? Is the appeal primarily the novelty of the shape? Obviously uke sound and playability are shaped by many different factors not related to the uke's body shape, but would like to hear the thoughts of those who own both styles.

The pineapple shape might be louder than a figure 8 uke of the same scale. I don't think they are any easier or harder to hold. Some non- button strap systems won't work on the pineapple shape.

–Lori

Advantages, based on my experience owning both a Kamaka pineapple soprano and a Kamaka figure-8 soprano: the pineapple has a bit more volume and a slightly fuller/richer tone - less plinky, better low tones. No disadvantages that I can think of.

As for holding it - I have strap buttons installed on all of my ukes, so I've never had an issue holding it, but there have been other threads in which people have mentioned having trouble holding them because of... anatomical issues/body shape (the person, not the uke!).

Ditto on the fuller sound. Some folks seem to have problems holding it, I don't. Some folks just like the shape.

I bought a Pineapple just for the "Chuckle" factor, but it is almost as loud as the tenor I just sold . . . and has a "fuller" sound . . . Don't know why, though.

bob abel

I assume more body volume = more sound. I LOVE pineapples. :love::love::love: There is a pineapple group here on UU.

I'm actually glad that you asked this question...I have been looking at pineapple ukes for the last couple of days. Glad to hear its not just a novelty. I kind of want one of the Kalas. Anyone have an opinion on those?

When it comes to playing one of my smaller ukes, Kamaka pineapple is by far my favorite.

That little KPK solid acacia pineapple give's the Kamaka a run for it's money though at 80% less money

I don't doubt that at all. I have a Solid Acacia KPK soprano and it is sweet. I just prefer the pineapple shape over the soprano and I don't have the KPK pineapple.

My David Gill Concert Pineapple is my main uke, love it. It may be the wood, but I think they are better since they have nothing cutting the soundboard in half in the middle. Boat paddle ukes M-Style is because Jerry wanted a larger soundboard.
Funny fact. it takes less wood to make a pineapple. Why?
Simple, the sides are actually shorter since it does not need to dip in like a traditional shape.

Top Bottom