Makala baritone, anyone?

just bought a Makala tenor for $70. It's good enough for practice; baritone's probably the same. You might however consider a cheap Lanikai spruce top baritone if you like the brightness of spruce. I got a good slightly blemished one from Butler.

I personally liked my Makala baritone. Whilst it did not have many features and didn't look as attractive as the pictures suggested it to be, I did have fun re-doing the finish. In the end, it looked and sounded great! Too bad it's lost now =\

They look like a good deal. You can get one on Amazon in the US for $80 (KA-MK-B). But I'm guessing it's a crapshoot on the set-up. Does any reputable seller who does a full set-up sell them?

I posted in a similar post today. Baritones are getting more and more popular (with good reason - it is a great instrument). Here is the one-step-up-in-price Kala laminate I got...

http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-B-Mahogany-Baritone-Ukulele/dp/B001LU37C6/

How much better would it be than the Makala? I don't know from experience, but I will say I got this one through Amazon because I had a gift certificate and I've been loving the thing - no buzzes, very good intonation, surprisingly very resonant, and strung with Aquila. Aquila Nylgut baritone strings sound wonderful, by the way.

Last edited:
Mike at Uke Republic has one of these KA-B's for sale. Good price and it will have a good setup:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/kala-mahogany-baritone

I posted in a similar post today. Baritones are getting more and more popular (with good reason - it is a great instrument). Here is the one-step-up-in-price Kala laminate I got...

http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-B-Mahogany-Baritone-Ukulele/dp/B001LU37C6/

How much better would it be than the Makala? I don't know from experience, but I will say I got this one through Amazon because I had a gift certificate and I've been loving the thing - no buzzes, very good intonation, surprisingly very resonant, and strung with Aquila. Aquila Nylgut baritone strings sound wonderful, by the way.

Anyone got info or opinion about the cheapo Makala baritone?

My baritone is not labeled Makala, but the info might be helpful. I have a Kala KAA-15B Baritone, which was made for Austin Bazaar. It, as well as a concert and a tenor model were supposedly be made along the lines if the KA-15S soprano. The soprano is in the regular Kala catalog, but you could get the others only from Austin Bazaar, directly or via Amazon.

I ordered a baritone on the strength of our love for the soprano we have. It was a good gamble. They are both very thin mahogany laminates, with brass frets, no binding, purfling or cupholders, and no enclosed tuners. ... It just feels and sounds good. The neck reminds me of a Martin guitar I had until recently. Nice and slender. Action is not super low, but I have felt no need to have it adjusted.

My guess is that it is very similar to the Makala, & I think I would get a Makala going on this experience, for a second tenor, for example, that I "need".

The KAA 15B sold for 79.99 USD, about the same as the Makala, and much less than the standard Kala KA-B. (upgraded tuners, binding & frets) They have been out of stock for a while, but can still be seen on the A-B and Amazon web sites.

Anyone got info or opinion about the cheapo Makala baritone?

I was considering one
but I ended up getting a cheap rogue
beater to save money but I hear the makala
ones are very good for the price. in time I want
to get a better quality baritone acoustic for recording.

I know this is an old thread, but for people like me doing searches on the Makala baritone (MK-B), I thought I'd give my opinion on it.

This week I went to a shop here in Portland, OR and the Makala baritone I got sounds just as good as all but the highest quality ukuleles on the wall in the $200-$300 range, and it was only $89. It sounds warm, rich and full, with good projection. The action is about 2.0mm with no string buzz, and great intonation (though it gets a little funky up high, where my fingers barely even fit). It looks a little "bare bones", but with good construction and is by no means shabby looking.

I polished the back of it with some super fine steel wool, rubbed in a coat of pure tung oil and it really brought the finish to life. I'll put a few light applications of tung oil on the rest of it after I replace the plastic nut and bridge with bone ($5 on eBay), some Aquila strings, and that's about it. I'm sure I'll upgrade someday, but for now I'm lovin' this uke!

I know this is an old thread, but for people like me doing searches on the Makala baritone (MK-B), I thought I'd give my opinion on it.

This week I went to a shop here in Portland, OR and the Makala baritone I got sounds just as good as all but the highest quality ukuleles on the wall in the $200-$300 range, and it was only $89. It sounds warm, rich and full, with good projection. The action is about 2.0mm with no string buzz, and great intonation (though it gets a little funky up high, where my fingers barely even fit). It looks a little "bare bones", but with good construction and is by no means shabby looking.

I polished the back of it with some super fine steel wool, rubbed in a coat of pure tung oil and it really brought the finish to life. I'll put a few light applications of tung oil on the rest of it after I replace the plastic nut and bridge with bone ($5 on eBay), some Aquila strings, and that's about it. I'm sure I'll upgrade someday, but for now I'm lovin' this uke!

Thanks for the info. Those baritones are cheap over here, so I might just go and get one.

I've heard only good things about them. I have often considered getting one and not only replacing the plastic nut and saddle with bone, but installing a set of Grover tuners.

I recently replaced the strings with some Aquila Nylgut, and at the same time I replaced the plastic saddle with bone, and it sounds fantastic! Also I took off those cheap plastic rings around the tuner posts and installed some nickel plated bushings which gives it a more finished look.

The Makala line of instruments are not "cheap". They are inexpensive, very well made and nice and clean inside. My own experiences have been very positive. I also switched the nut and saddle to bone. My choice of string replacements were Fremont Blacks. You can not go wrong with Makala.
Jim.

Doc, I've had a lot of fun with the Kala and it's not too much more $. My bet is the Makala would sound pretty good!

I've heard only good things about them. I have often considered getting one and not only replacing the plastic nut and saddle with bone, but installing a set of Grover tuners.

I would consider them i don't hear anything bad about them, even the cheap rogue baritones are not bad for the price.
I'm sure bone is better however, i don't use any animal products so I'll stick with plastic.

Well, I got myself a Makala tenor, which is pretty good...with low G Aquila Reds it sounds great. Good action and intonation, too. I will be looking out for the bari, for sure.

I got to play a makala Bari the other day and was impressed! I tend to like simple looking instruments so the lack of pizazz was not an issue. Well made and a great value!

Top Bottom