Wound C String Only

Littlegman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

May I ask if there are wound C strings available without having to buy a complete string set? I would like to incorporate a wound C string into a set of Living Water strings and hear the outcome. What is your preference? Do "squeakless" ones exist, like Fremont Soloist Polished Low G String, for a C string?

Thank you!

Just a guess but I would think tuning a low G up to C would make for a lot of tension.
A classical guitar D can be used for a low G, so I would guess you could use a classical G for a ukulele C.
Should be available as a single string and LaBella makes very nice polished flat wound strings (squeakless)

Many feel that you need both a would G and C for a balanced sound. I think there's now a few makers of "squeekless" strings, including Southcoast and I'm sure you will hear about others here.

Are you talking about in low-G tuning or high-G? If low-G I think Phil is right, you'd want wound 3rd and 4th, not just the 3rd.

However, if you're talking high-G then a wound third is not that unusual. Ko'Olau makes wound third sets in all three of their lines but I don't know if they sell the wound third alone.

I suspect that a Thomastic-Infeld Chromium Flatwound CF27 (classical guitar "G" string) would work pretty well. I haven't tried one in that application (yet, I actually just ordered some the other day). However, I've been using the CF35 and CF30 for the D and G strings on linear DGBE baritone ukes for quite a while, and just tried, and fell in love with, the CF30 as the low-G string especially when used with CT strings. The CF27 is the next size down and I'm almost certain it would make a good C string. Discovering how much I liked the CF30 as a low-G is the reason I've just ordered the CF27 to try as a wound third.

The Thomastik-Infeld CF strings are very smooth, almost completely squeakless, not boomy, and nicely bright and round in tone. They also seem to last longer than most of the wound strings I've tried.

John

Top Bottom