Strap or no Strap?

Rolfie

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im thinking of getting some strap buttons and a strap installed on my tenor uke, but not sure if I will end up regretting it!

I dont really want a strap that I need to tie on or anything so what does everyone think?

Strap or no strap?

if you spend much time playing standing up, I'd say go for it. I just put one on the bottom and tie the other end on the head, but it's your uke, be comfortable. it also frees your fretting hand up.

I prefer two buttons for a strap whenever possible. One at the joint between the neck and body and the other on the bottom

While I can play without one, if I want to be totally free, to move both hands specially for videos or performing nothing beates a good secure strap.

Having the buttons I place does not mean you have to use them, but the option is always there...

Hi guys

Im thinking of getting some strap buttons and a strap installed on my tenor uke, but not sure if I will end up regretting it!

I dont really want a strap that I need to tie on or anything so what does everyone think?

Strap or no strap?

I find it more relaxing to play tenor standing with a strap, or sitting down without a strap.

I have a lower bout pin and a strap that ties onto the headstock on one of my tenor ukes (Pono ATDC). I find that I play it more often than my MP, not because I prefer the sound or playability of the Pono over the MP, but because the Pono has an available strap and the MP does not.

And the reason that the MP has no strap is because I cannot bring myself to drill any holes in it. I do all manner of woodworking so I am not concerned about the physical act of drilling pilot holes for pins, but rather that the MP has an esthetic that has no room for utilitarian pins sticking out of it.

Hi guys

Strap or no strap?

I like straps a lot on tenors. Especially standing of course.

I put strap buttons on all my ukes. Like the others say, a strap allows my hands to be free and takes the weight of the uke so I can move my fret hand easily.

I currently use one of those straps that goes inside the soundhole and wraps around my neck. I carry a uke most places, and last summer I got in the habit of walking around town playing. The soundhole strap worked out fairly well for that, but I am going to upgrade my walking-around ukes to an actual strap before spring.

I've been looking at straps too...I bought one of the Uke Leashes just to try it out. Let ya know when I get it!

I've discovered that I really like a strap with my tenor and baritone. I installed buttons on my baritone and it worked out great. I really like walking around and playing and I feel that the strap frees up my left hand.

I currently use one of those straps that goes inside the soundhole and wraps around my neck. I carry a uke most places, and last summer I got in the habit of walking around town playing. The soundhole strap worked out fairly well for that, but I am going to upgrade my walking-around ukes to an actual strap before spring.

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ukulele-sound-hole-hook-strap

and only when standing for extended periods...you should learn how to hold your uke correctly and this will negate the need for a strap

Might check out the Möbius Strap -- I like it, though you need a uke with a waist.

I use a Mobius Strap on my baritone uke, sitting and standing. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my uke and from my guitar playing I don't like tying a strap at the head. Since I only have one uke, I leave the Mobius on it all the time, but it is easy to install and remove.

you should learn how to hold your uke correctly and this will negate the need for a strap
I disagree, many ukulele lose a lot of tone when pressed tightly to your body. Would you tell Jake Shimabukuro to not use a strap? I read an article where Daniel Ho thinks everyone should use a strap to free of their left hand. Many world class players use a strap. I say if you want to hold a uke, that's cool, but it's because you like it, not because it's the right way.

Last edited:
There ain't no rules. It is your ukulele. If you think a strap would help, go for it. It is not for others to judge. MHO.
Cliff

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ukulele-sound-hole-hook-strap

I really prefer playing with a strap, sitting or standing. It helps hold the neck up so I only need to worry about the using my left hand to fret.

However, I'm not comfortable with the sound hole clip strap referenced, although I own one. I also play guitar and bass. I'm far to used to being able to let go of the instrument with both hands on occasion to adjust my music etc. If I did that with one of these traps the uke would tumble to the floor. I don't trust myself to remember to always hang on to the uke. :(

So I use a regular strap with strap buttons on both the tail of the instrument and on the heel of the neck. Much more secure.

I usually play sitting so I don't use a strap and don't have strap buttons on my current instruments. When I have to play standing I use the "Uke Thong" by Chuck Wilson's Wild Child Productions.

My former Mya-Moe baritone had strap buttons and I never noticed them since they were placed under the neck joint and on the bottom of the lower bout. Those worked really well though I rarely used them.

Top Bottom