Effects pedals/Multi effects units?

pektel

Reaction score
So, it's time to plug in the uke. I've been playing for almost a year, and just think it's time. I have been wanting to toy around with Dragon more, since you can only get so far by only playing unplugged. Plus, some slight effects while amplifying (delay for example) would be nice while performing.

The uke I'm going to add a pickup to is a Kala SMHT. I'm still thinking about what kind to get (still researching, actually, but there's a lot of threads here on pickups, so I'll put in my due diligence before asking about the pickup). I will say I need a pickup as opposed to just a mic, as I plan on performing sometime in the next 6-8 months. But I digress...

What seems to be the consensus on multi-effect pedals? I'm strongly considering a Line 6 POD HD500X. But a couple others that have been reviewed alongside of it are the Boss GT-10 and Digitech SP1000. I believe Jake Shimabukuro used to use a Line 6 XT Live, so that's one of the reasons I'm drawn more to the Line6.

Any personal experiences/reviews/other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

No experience with all the bells and whistles, but I wanted to say that Jake Shimabukuro used pedals to generate lots of interesting effects and loops during the concert I attended. It was really cool.

I am also interested in what people might suggest. My needs are probably more modest than the OP, so I was looking at the less expensive Digitech RP 355, too.

The Boss is a very versatile unit with a decent range of presets that work well with everything from acoustic to hard rock. Our lead guitarist currently uses one. I don't know about the HD500X specifically but traditionally Line 6 / POD have been more focused on overdriven/distorted sounds and a little weak modeling clean amps.

Unfortunately it's been discontinued but the best all around multi-purpose unit I've ever used was the Vox Tonelab LE. I've used mine for everything from acoustic guitar and ukulele to bass to blues electric guitar - it's not quite as good on the heavy metal sounds as the Boss or POD but for just about everything else it is superb.

John

EE ba' gum...ah Just use ter strum me uke and sing a song.

Nah it's all fancy flim flam and stuff to go wrong.

I used me fingers ,norrany of them picks .....

but then I worra daft lad

And who the bloody hell is ...Line 6 ?

---------------------------------------------------

Spirit of GF......turned out nice again

;)

Seems to me that all the boxes you have listed are WAY overkill for your first dabble in effects. Start simple (and cheaper). Keep an eye on Craigslist. I have the Zoom G3, Boss ME-70 and Line 6 M5 (friend has the M9). The Zoom sounds good, but takes some editing to dial in your presets. The Boss is my fave just because I tend to twiddle knobs as I go and what you see is what you get with the ME-70. The M5/M9 stuff is stellar, but a little more pricey. I always have liked the "feel" of the interface on them.

Just pick one. They all sound good enough for an 'ukulele pickup. You've got to spend time twisting the knobs before you know what you like so you might as well start simple. I've been through more pedals than I can count over the years because I didn't really know what I wanted.

Last edited:
Seems to me that all the boxes you have listed are WAY overkill for your first dabble in effects. Start simple (and cheaper). Keep an eye on Craigslist. I have the Zoom G3, Boss ME-70 and Line 6 M5 (friend has the M9). The Zoom sounds good, but takes some editing to dial in your presets. The Boss is my fave just because I tend to twiddle knobs as I go and what you see is what you get with the ME-70. The M5/M9 stuff is stellar, but a little more pricey. I always have liked the "feel" of the interface on them.

Just pick one. They all sound good enough for an 'ukulele pickup. You've got to spend time twisting the knobs before you know what you like so you might as well start simple. I've been through more pedals than I can count over the years because I didn't really know what I wanted.

I appreciate the input. I should clarify. This my first venture into effects with the uke. I've been involved in playing music since I can remember, so I'm not a total novice. I do have some long-forgotten experience with effects pedals and guitar. I haven't played my strat in probably 15 years. You are correct that back then I wasn't a tone searcher as far as effects went. Friends sold me their used gear, and I made it work.

When I buy something like an instrument or an accessory for an instrument, i normally buy the best one I can afford. I look at it as something to grow into, to have a higher level of possible ability. I want to have the options available, whether or not I use them right away.

Hopefully that makes sense. I understand the concern, and appreciate the input. :)

The Boss is a very versatile unit with a decent range of presets that work well with everything from acoustic to hard rock. Our lead guitarist currently uses one. I don't know about the HD500X specifically but traditionally Line 6 / POD have been more focused on overdriven/distorted sounds and a little weak modeling clean amps.

Unfortunately it's been discontinued but the best all around multi-purpose unit I've ever used was the Vox Tonelab LE. I've used mine for everything from acoustic guitar and ukulele to bass to blues electric guitar - it's not quite as good on the heavy metal sounds as the Boss or POD but for just about everything else it is superb.

John

Thanks for the info! I live in BFE, so looks like I'll have to get a pickup installed, then make a drive to a guitar center or something. Closest one is 3 or 4 hours away IIRC.

To be honest, I haven't researched a whole lot on the boss and digitech models I listed. I just saw them regularly compared to the line 6 in other online reviews. I'll have to compare specs. And keep an eye out for the Vox if one ever surfaces for resale. :)

Personally I use JamUp (http://www.positivegrid.com/jamup/) on my iPod in combination with an iRig. To be honest I think that is only interesting to look at if you already own an iOS device. There are other apps for iOS, for instance there are Ampkit and Amplitube, which I also own, but to me JamUp Pro XT is just so much better.

Xommen- that seems like a great option. In fact, I was trying to talk myself out of picking up an ipad2 at Walmart today. Deal seems too good to pass up - $199 for a 16gb, and 299 for the 32gb.

I'm going to have to see what footboard is available, since I REALLY need the loop station while playing.

So, it's time to plug in the uke. I've been playing for almost a year, and just think it's time. I have been wanting to toy around with Dragon more, since you can only get so far by only playing unplugged. Plus, some slight effects while amplifying (delay for example) would be nice while performing.

The uke I'm going to add a pickup to is a Kala SMHT. I'm still thinking about what kind to get (still researching, actually, but there's a lot of threads here on pickups, so I'll put in my due diligence before asking about the pickup). I will say I need a pickup as opposed to just a mic, as I plan on performing sometime in the next 6-8 months. But I digress...

What seems to be the consensus on multi-effect pedals? I'm strongly considering a Line 6 POD HD500X. But a couple others that have been reviewed alongside of it are the Boss GT-10 and Digitech SP1000. I believe Jake Shimabukuro used to use a Line 6 XT Live, so that's one of the reasons I'm drawn more to the Line6.

Any personal experiences/reviews/other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I plug my konablaster electric into a guitar link
USB into my comp than use garage bands virtual
Amps and pedals to record or play with head phones
it takes up no space and is a clean set up
so clean I sold my orange crush this process
gives me all the same effects I wound with an actual
amp with less set up time and no clutter.

Well, I found a great deal on this (lightly used), so I figured I would give it a shot to see how I like it. Couldn't go wrong for under $200:

Still waiting for the Misi pickup to arrive, but I'll mess around with the strat in the meantime. :)

I use a simple, Digitech RP80 pedal with my Pono tenor with an LR Baggs 5.0 pickup.

20140218_204705.jpg

I use a Vox Stomplab G1. It has a good range of presets and and you can create your own settings. Reasonably priced - I paid £50 GB for mine. There is also a G2. The main difference is an expression pedal which also acts as a Wah Wah pedal.

Top Bottom