greasy fingers = greasy strings.

Icelander53

Reaction score
Maybe it's me but my fingers get oily when I play my uke. I have to wash them every half an hour or so or I can start to slide off the strings I kid you not.

So I got the hand washing part down but what about cleaning off the strings? I've just been wiping them with an old tee shirt but was wondering if there was other ways to get finger oil off them that might work even better.

Is it just me or does this happen to anyone else? My playing partner never seems to have oily fingers and can play for hours. Should I quit with the double cheese Big Macs?

I know some pro classical guitarists wipe their plucking fingers on their nose/forehead to get a little lube. Just use a paper towel to clean your strings, and wipe the fretboard down if it was oiled. Washing your hands too much will dry them out, and could effect your tone production.

Try using the tee shirt on your hands, rather than soap and water. During the winter, I have to use a moisturizer every time I wash my hands, or my nails will crack.

I know some pro classical guitarists wipe their plucking fingers on their nose/forehead to get a little lube. Just use a paper towel to clean your strings, and wipe the fretboard down if it was oiled. Washing your hands too much will dry them out, and could effect your tone production.

Try using the tee shirt on your hands, rather than soap and water. During the winter, I have to use a moisturizer every time I wash my hands, or my nails will crack.

I'd like to see my hands get dry. Just let em try. Seriously, I don't have a dry skin problem. Not in 61 years.

Really ...language ..there is absolutely no need for that sort of...........oh no it's me ...I spoonerised the two words in my head ........get my coat I will....

CJ

I just want to say that the title of this thread should be the title of a song...

John

It's the same relaxed or tense. It's not sweat it's slippery and oily. I guess I'm the only one experiencing this. Maybe I should use strings that aren't so smooth.

Top Bottom