3 Phase....

ukuleleCraig

Reaction score
This may be a question aimed more at my UK kindred as im not sure if the rotw is set up different.
Im looking for a bandsaw to purchase for my workshop and i was wandering what others have done in regards to their chosen means of power outlet. Are they using mains 3 phase or using a 3 phase converter?
Whats the advice guys? :)

Btw - i am aware of the cost implications of converting home residential meter to 3 phase. My question is more aimed at what you have done.

Last edited:
Friends don't let friends buy machinery with cheap Chinese motors... In the midst of extreme busy, I get to learn about large single phase motors (10HP) and the little centrifugal start circuit switch thingy that fries start capacitors , and worse! when it fails. Some of them are probably pretty good, this one is only 8 months old, with very low hours at that. Not directly related to the OP's question, but not unrelated.. Hoping that the start windings are not shorted now.

Unless you're getting the saw for free....I'd recommend finding a saw with a single phase motor for home use. The cost of set up and running will quickly eat up your purchase savings. A converter would be the way to go.

I've had no problems with Single phase motors on band saws...The two capacitor start and run types have been best for me (No centrifugal start ;) ) ...The biggest problems have been cheap bearings and sawdust getting into the electric switches, So I replaced all the bearings with rubber sealed ones...and I clean the switches on a regular basis....At the moment I have a 14" SIP 01489 heavy duty...and thinking of upgrading :rolleyes:

When I moved workshops last year it gave me a decent single phase supply and I was able to install a 16amp radial circuit. This now runs a 16" Record BS400 that would pop 13amp fuses regularly. The saw is capable of doing everything I ask of it (with the correct blades http://tuffsaws.co.uk/ ) and that includes cutting green logs up to 12". Works for me. :)

Only just noticed you're from Sheffield. That makes 3 of us in the same thread! Where in Sheff' are you based, Craig?

Thanks guys - your advice on UU and personal email is very much welcome and appreciated as always.
I will check the web links out Ken.
I hope to get more comments to this thread - it's useful to me and to all newcomers what you've found works for you, the pro's and con's etc

Only just noticed you're from Sheffield. That makes 3 of us in the same thread! Where in Sheff' are you based, Craig?

I now live near not far from the centre - Heeley Green ;). Good to see many of my Sheffield brothers are present here.
Anyway - just off to my fortnightly session with the Sheffield Uke club.

Don't know how old you are, or how long you've been in Sheffield, but I used to work at Carlsboro on City Road about 30 years ago, if you ever went in there.

I used to run a rotary phase converter for a couple of tools. It was kind of a PITA. Now I use a frequency generator. Really cool electronics. Just a small box that the wiring goes through to convert single phase to 3 phase. Easy to wire yourself. In addition, should you want to, you can control the speed of the motor and also reverse direction. Nice for a lathe application.A number of woodworkers that I know have them. Cost depends on size. My unit, that runs an old 12" 3H.P.Northfield jointer was $400.00 here in the U.S. A unit for 5 H.P. is about $550.00 here.

Last edited:
And just to make up numbers, another one here. Norfolk Park in the flats which have long dissapeared.
h

Top Bottom