Who's your favorite Ukulele player to listen to?

Icelander53

Reaction score
I'm a music collector and have literally thousands of cds on all kind of music. I just started with the uke and so now just got my first Uke based CD by James Hill. I was blown away by how good it is and I just ordered another.

Who else is out there that's done some recording? I want some more if it's as good as James. I just need some leads.

Kris Fuchigami is my favorite. His version of Can't Take My Eyes Off You is just amazing.

here's some of my faves in no particular order:

The Old Spice Boys featuring Azo Bell; Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards; Roy Smeck; John King; Lyle Ritz; Aldrine Guerero; Lil' Rev; Aaron Keim (The Quiet American); Ian Whitcomb; Corey Fujimoto; Uni and her Ukulele; Dr Bekken; John Bianchi; Ken Middleton; Bob Brozman; seeso; Dominator; Matt Dahlberg; Rose Turtle Ertler; Bosko & Honey; Uncle Elvis; The Flea Bitten Dawgs; Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain; Janet Klein.

Jake, Ka'au Crater Boys, Troy Fernandez, Herb Ohta, Jr (and Sr.), Pure Heart -- not really ukulele, but still....they' re great.

Sarah Maisel, Ingrid Michaelson, Char Mayer (of Mya-Moe), Jake, Aldrine, Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, Iz.

you mean beside myself? Iz...James Hill is pretty good too anf for intrumentals, Jake of course!

James Hill, Troy Fernandez, Sarah Maisel and Brittni Paiva top my list. There are many other very excellent players, but those are the four (that are living) I admire the most.

you might want to do a review of some of Sarah Maisel's CDs on Amazon. She doesn't even have one review. :(

I liked some of Brittni Paiva.

Last edited:
Benny Chong, Byron Yasui, John Kameaaloha Almeida (one album where he plays uke, called Strum Your Ukulele), Gordon Mark, Ohta-San, Lyle Ritz, Roy Smeck, ukulelezaza

I've been listening to Corey Fujimoto & Paul Hemming lately. I tend to gravitate towards instrumental CDs

Kris Fuchigami, Kalei Gamaio, Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee, Dominator and the elusive WS64.

I need to edit this to say I am more attracted to the solo instrumental stuff. Many, many of the members here are awe-inspiring in their styles.

Last edited:
If it were a question about jazz records, I'd feel more confident answering as I've listened to hundreds in that category. My ukulele CD collection is very limited, however. Where do people buy uke CDs nowadays? Is it all on-line?
Anyway, I'm very found of my Ohta-San CDs. Also, I feel Daniel Ho's Polani is a must!

Jake and James Hill are in a league of their own. They are like Bird and Magic. I had the chance to hear Brittini at Roy Sakuma's festival last summer. Very impressive. Cute too!

The guys mentioned are great to listen to, but Sophie Madeleine is my favorite to watch...LOL! Actually, I do enjoy watching James Hill perform as well.

Wow! She is seriously nice to look at. lol.

She's got thirty covers for me to wade through. That's enough to get her into my dreams tonight. :D I may be old but I'm not too old to dream.

James is a great presence on stage. Yeah, fun to watch.

Top Bottom