Have a Gibson Soprano ?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I like vintage ukes and I read alot about Vintage Martins and I have a few , but I don't remember reading much about Gibson sopranos. Anyone out there have one ? Can You compare it to a Martin , does it sound similar , very different ? Thanks.

Thanks , that was just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I've never seen a Gibson soprano in person and the only Martin sopranos I've played are the ones I own. Thanks for introducing me to Uke-N-talk , ...gotta go and watch the rest .

I have a Gibson Uke 3. It's great! Very well-made and elegant. It plays like a dream, but doesn't sound as rich and full as my Martins. It sounds nice though!

BTW, I just re-watched the video Ryan posted, and I agree with pretty much everything he says. Gibson made WAAAAAY fewer ukuleles than Martin did. That's one of the things I like so much about mine. It was their top-of-the-line uke (apart from the painted ones, maybe), and it sort of combines the aesthetics of the Martin Style 3 and Style 5 (sort of....). So, it's a very nicely made, very rare ukulele from a very prestigious company. My Martins sound better, but the Gibson is just very very cool.

I have a Gibson Uke 3. It's great! Very well-made and elegant. It plays like a dream, but doesn't sound as rich and full as my Martins. It sounds nice though!

I own a Gibson 3 uke because Chris Tarman made me buy one. LOL Well, he influenced me. I agree with Chris and Ryan: I like it, it's good, it's rare, I enjoy it, but it does not have the volume, chime or ring like the Martins. Not as rich and full, as Chris states; I agree.

Pete, I think you do have the Walsh Martin uke book...it has a few well-detailed pages on Gibson's history and photos. Worth a read.

I have one, and it is wonderful. Mine differs from a Martin quite a bit. Here is a review...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQEXzrdIyKw

Love the YouTube review. Had not seen those before and just watched several. So thanks for introducing that! The tear drop Favilla is really nice. The video of the Kinnard 6-string is super; really shows well his meticulous craftsmanship.

Top Bottom