Strings For a Spruce Top?

BigD

Reaction score
Hi everyone! i have a spruce top lanikai that i know has potential to sound great i just havent found the right strings yet! Right now i have southcoast linear mids on there and even though my uke resembles a small guitar the wound strings do not agree with it i feel. Its already a little too, idk maybe tinny sounding? i need something to warm it up! Thanks!

Best just to try a number of different strings as what sounds good to one person may not to another. What matters most is what it sounds like to you. You might try the Worth Browns as they tend toward the mellower/warmer side. Let us know what you conclude!

My spruce top came with Aquila Nylgut. It has that warm tone.

Well.... I just bought a spruce top/solid Ovangkal B&S tenor, and it sounded a bit off with the stock Aquila strings. I just don't like the way the Aquilas feel under my fretting hand, and they are too percussive for my taste. Lots of people seem to love them.

That brings me to Oasis strings. I love them. They sound great on my wife's cedar top, and my spruce top. They brighten up the cedar (more clarity), and bring out the nuances of the spruce without making it too bright. Vibrato is much better with the Oasis on both ukes, and the tension is a bit less. I'm using the high G "bright" set. No experience with the low G. I ordered a few more sets this past weekend.

I've been using Savarez Alliance classical strings with one of their KF 95 harp strings for a low g. Mellow, articulate, and stiff.

Hi BigD i agree with Eddie worth browns are sure worth trying, also my other favourites Living water.

Steve

i think im going to order some worth browns and maybe fremont, im actually trying to get away from the low G sound, i was using that i think as a replacement for the sound of a guitar i was lacking and now i have a cedar topped seagull entourage which is beautiful. Thanks!!

Top Bottom