Pono ATDC Acacia Tenor Deluxe Cutaway

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, it has been two weeks since I brought my new Pono ATDC tenor ukulele home. I purchased it from Mim's Ukes in Meadows of Dan Virginia. This is a great place to purchase a ukulele and I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Mim and try out a variety of Ukuleles prior to making a decision. Pono and Lanikai ukes were on my list and this was a great opportunity to compare them at the same time. My Lanikai CKC Concert was with me when I visited Mim's, so I had a direct comparison to what I was used to playing in the past. I really liked the sound of my Lanikai and was so surprised that the newer Lanikais did not sound as good. My CKC is fitted with Worth medium strings while the new Lanikais were fitted with strings of unknown origin. I was trying the Lanikai solid Monkeypod ukes.

Then I tried the Pono ukuleles and immediately noticed a marked difference in sound quality, feel, and playability. The neck on the Ponos is more "C" shaped and therefore a little thicker than other ukes which is preferable to me. It is a similar shape and thickness as my Gold Tone banjolele neck. The sound was just remarkable in my opinion. I then started comparing the acacia and mahogany models of Pono to see the difference. Of course, finish was also a consideration as the sound was a little different between the gloss and matte finishes. The acacia tenor seemed to me to have more volume than the mahogany version and I fell in love with the gloss finish. In the end I settled on the acacia deluxe tenor cutaway uke.

When I arrived home in Canada, I swapped out the Ko'olau strings for a set of Worth tenor strings and over the past two weeks they have been settling down and stretching out as expected. The Worth strings produce a lovely mellow sound with just enough brightness for my taste. The fit and finish of my Pono is just beautiful. The solid Acacia top back and sides are just exquisite. The book matched top and back have some lovely grain patterns and the ebony fingerboard also has some unique grain features and coloration. The setup if the bone nut and saddle is to my liking and intonation up the neck is perfect when checked with my electronic tuner. It is obvious that Pono takes care in setting up the instrument after receipt from Java prior to shipping from Hawaii.

Overall, I am very satisfied with everything about my Pono and now know why the extra dollars expended on purchasing a fine instrument are worth it. There really is a difference when stepping up to the high end of the intermediate price range.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
It's good to see you're still loving this ukelele! I bought a Pono ATD a week after buying a Kala (same dealer in Florida). The instrument was beautiful, and well constructed. It didn't have nearly the volume of my Kala tenor, so I mailed it back. In hindsight, I should have tried different strings. This dealer has a 14 day trial period, but I sent it back the same day. Corey at HMS told me that Ponos vary in volume, and that they could pull a louder one for me. If I keep reading your posts, I might have to go that route. ;)

Enjoy!!!

Hi Bill,
It's good to see you're still loving this ukelele! I bought a Pono ATD a week after buying a Kala (same dealer in Florida). The instrument was beautiful, and well constructed. It didn't have nearly the volume of my Kala tenor, so I mailed it back. In hindsight, I should have tried different strings. This dealer has a 14 day trial period, but I sent it back the same day. Corey at HMS told me that Ponos vary in volume, and that they could pull a louder one for me. If I keep reading your posts, I might have to go that route. ;)

Enjoy!!!

From my research and somewhat limited experience, Pono's seem to work better with higher tension strings. I've gathered that they're built to take a little more tension and when you put the higher tension strings on they really sing. Although, that said, its a different sound when you do that - cleaner, more sustain, etc., and less of classic ukulele percussive sound.

I'm mostly looking for the bigger frets used on Pono's. I'm not looking for high tension, however. My classical guitars seem to have less tension than many of the tenors I've owned/played with Aquila strings. I'm not really comfortable on a guitar with frets less than .040" tall, and hair taller is fine. My Kalas have .035" frets, but they're tuned down for ease of playing. The worse case is I pay shipping back to HMS. I could call Mim and ask if she has any loud Ponos......

My ATDC is a cannon. Went through all the usual suspect strings before settling on LWs with low G. Great balanced tone with serious volume.

My ATDC is a cannon. Went through all the usual suspect strings before settling on LWs with low G. Great balanced tone with serious volume.

What strings did you go through before settling on Living Waters? I am curious to try other brands beside Worths. It is also possible that each ATDC is different in volume no matter what strings are on it.

Bill

Well, I am into my third set of strings. The original strings that came with the Pono, Worth Tenor Browns high G, and now Aquila Nylgut high G. So far I like the Aquila strings the best,. I have another set of D-Addario Pro-Atrte J-71 ( Jake strings ) in the wings to try another time. It is taking a week or there about for the strings to settle so no rush on swapping them out. Besides we have an open mic on Sunday and I would like to be in stable tune for that.

The Aqilla strings are a nice blend of bright punch with a mellow sound and are great for finger picking. I would also like to try a set of Living Waters strings as well but all in good time.

In the meantime, I am really liking the sound of my Pono and don't regret the purchase for one minute.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Top Bottom