Too Difficult To Play Challenge

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I was wondering the other day whether there are any songs that are just too difficult to play and sing convincingly on the ukulele. I mean one singer, one ukulele and playing live. I think that there probably are songs that are just too tricky.

I can think of a few:

Bohemian Rhapsody (the whole song)
MacArthur Park
Good Vibrations
New York, New York

I did a bit from Good Vibrations the other day, but I had to use two ukes and 5 vocal parts. And that would be cheating.

Why not suggest some other songs and see if anyone will have a go at covering them. They don't have to be musically difficult, just a convincing version of the song.

Post any suggestion and completed songs on this thread.

Not a competition, just for fun.

Anyone interested?

KEN

Last edited:
When I was playing in bands years ago, I always tried to make it so that we would sound the same whether live or in recordings. When I released an album of ukulele tracks mixed with guitar tracks, I wanted to keep it earthy and not over-produce it. It was all original material and the end result sounded much like you caught a live show.

On covers, I'd love to have the people with me to perform songs like Seven Bridges Road, with all the five-part vocal harmonies and the instrumentation. Is it possible with five people, yes, with one, the tune would be quite boring.

i managed to do most of bohemian rhapsody (not that old guys version) from ear but it is not performance standard :confused:

I saw Queen live in '79. (I'm old and it was my first arena concert) Even they couldn't play "Bohemian Rhapsody" in its entirety live. When the big vocal bit in the middle came up they left the stage and took a break while a tape took over and they reemerged for the end.

"Good Vibrations" was recorded in something like six sessions with a studio full of musicians over the course of six month and then edited and mixed into the final format. There are a couple of alternate versions that I know of and the Beach Boys box has at least fifteen minutes of outtakes from the sessions. There is a bonus disc in the same box with a live version of the Brian Wilson-less 1967 Beach Boys giving a valiant attempt at their current single, but even they don't fair too well.

But "New York, New York"? that could be done. The song isn't a bunch of overlapping mult-layered melodies. It strips down to words and chords easy. The art is doing it convincingly or morphing it into something that works at its most basic level by slowing it down or concentrating on dynamics.

(and "Macarthur Park" has just about one of the dumbest songs to ever become a huge hit. I'm sure it made Jimmy Webb quite a lot of cash, but I just don't get the appeal. I'd rather listen "Winchester Cathedral" and I hate that song.)

Last edited:
does the challenge mean i can only play one uke period? or can i use the same uke for different tracks?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking one person, with one uke, singing live from beginning to end (without stopping).

does the challenge mean i can only play one uke period? or can i use the same uke for different tracks?

I was thinking one person, with one uke, singing live from beginning to end (without stopping).
awww well in that case i might not be able to step up to your challenge, but i at least have an idea of what i wanna do next! hahaha.

Last edited:
How about "Under the Boardwalk"?

This simple song's familiar chorus is basically a call and response that is tough for a single singer to pull off.

(Under the boardwalk) out of the sun
(Under the boardwalk) we'll be havin' some fun
(Under the boardwalk) people walking above
(Under the boardwalk) we'll be falling in love
Under the board-walk (board-walk!)

This is an interesting thread. I am a big fan of Radiohead but find that many of their songs sound absolutely terrible on the uke. I especially like their slower darker songs (such as "Nude") and you can't very well pull off the same solemn vibe with re-entrant tuning. :)

Top Bottom