non-L&H or Gretsch camp ukes??

river_driver

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any companies besides Lyon & Healy and Gretsch that produced circular-bodied "camp" ukes?

I ask because there's one on Etsy right now that's definitely not a L&H or Gretsch, but does appear to be vintage (1930's or '40's maybe? I'm guessing).

It's inexpensive enough that curiosity may just get the better of me!

Yep, that's the one.

Curiously, the grain of the wood of the soundboard is perpendicular to the length of the strings. Never seen that before on any stringed instrument.

Maybe somebody's woodshop project instead of a product of one of the big US music houses?

Maybe somebody's woodshop project instead of a product of one of the big US music houses?

That's my guess. The decal looks like one of those Meyercord decals used to decorate cabinets in the first half of the last century. There's something kinda folksy and charming about it!

The seller did know enough to put new strings on it (Martins, at that!), which I found interesting.

All right kids, who bought it??

On the one hand, thanks, it was money I really didn't need to spend.

On the other hand, I'm still really intrigued. When you get it you have to let us know what the deal is with it!!

All right kids, who bought it??

On the one hand, thanks, it was money I really didn't need to spend.

On the other hand, I'm still really intrigued. When you get it you have to let us know what the deal is with it!!

Not me - I'm saving my pennies at the moment, although the cute factor of this one did tempt me a bit.

I'm also curious to hear what this turns out to be, hope the buyer is a member here...

Its sure looks a lot nicer than the Gretsch camp uke re-issue.

How much did it sell for?

Asking price was $29, with $8 shipping.

I recently got a (modern) Gretsch camp uke. Soundwise it's just so-so, but I find myself playing the heck out of it. Thus, my current obsession with camp ukes. I really want a vintage L&H (which is what I ought to be saving my pennies for!)

I got it - been wanting one for my office.

The beautiful wood patina clinched it for me. It can keep my vintage Kay company on the wall at home if it is not really a working ukulele, so if it is playable that will be icing on the cake.

I have been spending my free time today comparing the headstock photos with the pictures at online ukulele museums. It is interesting that it was from an estate sale in Oak Hill, Illinois, so maybe a Chicago manufacturer? I have seen some vintage fans from that era that have similar art.

Portsmouth? I am on the Ohio/WV border outside of Parkersburg & I work in Marietta. My daughter works in Ironton, so I am often in your neck of the woods.

Yep, Portsmouth. There's another fellow, Consitter, that posts here regularly and lives in Ashland. If I had more time I'd say we should all try to get together, but I've been working about 60 hrs/week lately. Maybe over the summer!!

Sounds good. There are a few Ohio ukulele get-togethers in the northern part of the state, but I would love some in Lawrence County or Washington County.

Top Bottom