US mail is rubbish

Timbuck

Reaction score
I posted off a Soprano to a Guy in the US 22 days ago and he still aint got it yet:confused:...It was posted "First Class international signed for" with tracking... it arrived in the USA within a couple of days,
since then when ever I looked up the tracking info I just get this ..Your item, posted on 03/02/14 with reference RU488528073GB has arrived in KENNEDY NEW YORK and is being processed for delivery.
Can some body go round there and gee them up a bit :( :deadhorse:

So sorry Ken but you're so right! Poor ole horse, lol

With the unusual winter storms this year, the USPS and US Customs in NY are probably WAY behind in their processing. 22 days for 1st Class International is unacceptable. But still, there is no more economical way to ship internationally, unfortunately.

Believe it or not, we didn't have mail service in my neck of the woods near Atlanta for several days this winter, from ice and snow.

file an insurance claim - that should get them moving.
Anne

Hodge is right--it's stuck in US Customs, not likely at the USPS. It'll get to the new owner.

yep, customs.. there is something that 'stuck' somewhere. And maybe just the weather! Major disruptions for the last couple months it seems, have happened in the Mid-West/ East.

It is probably not lost.

Customs between US and Canada is a bear too!

I've had some long waits for packages going either way but they have always <knock on koa wood> come through.

With the unusual winter storms this year, the USPS and US Customs in NY are probably WAY behind in their processing. 22 days for 1st Class International is unacceptable. But still, there is no more economical way to ship internationally, unfortunately.

Believe it or not, we didn't have mail service in my neck of the woods near Atlanta for several days this winter, from ice and snow.

While it is true that many parts of the country have experienced remarkably severe weather this year, this couldn't have had anything to do with the 16 days that it recently took to get a first class letter from LA to Southern Oregon during extended, sunny, dry and warm weather throughout the region. Sheesh!

On the other hand, USPS has proven quite reliable in getting ukuleles to various points around the globe and is much cheaper than the parcel services for foreign shipments.

Last edited:
I posted a Guitar to SW Colorado a few weeks ago. It took 3 days from the UK, door to door.
My guess (and it is a guess) is that US customs have it. I've heard of a Guitar taking 5 months from the US to Australia. Stopped by customs.
Did you fill in the Lacey form?

When I used to ship to Europe it would take between 3 and 4 weeks for Express mail, most of that time spent in customs. Australia is the worst I've experienced. It could be months. Having my work in limbo under unknown conditions for such long periods of time (not to mention the worry and angst of the customer) is only one of the reasons I've decided not to ship overseas.

Very Likely a Customs Problem. I have a business in which I daily ship 10 to 15 parcels all over the US and the problem rate is way below 1%.

Sorry about your problems I know when I have a choice I'll ask my items are sent USPS. Owning a business where another similar business opened up a block away UPS and FED Ex drivers have both walked past my shop name and foot tall number on my doors and tried to deliver the wrong package to me. They have both delivered my packages to him and even worse UPS ships my packages at home to my neighbor across the street and one time switched my package and my neighbors package with each other.

US Mailmen do always seem to get the correct address in regard to my deliveries.

~peace~

It's a government operation. enough said.

I've had exactly the opposite experience...
...When I order things I'm please when I find out it was sent USPS because I know it will arrive quicker and on Sat. if necessary.
Most other carriers take forever, and are not any cheaper.

Last edited:
I received a box of Peghed tuners this morning that were sent out on Saturday USPS Priority Mail. From Oregon to Virginia in 3 days. Shipping was less than $6. :D

#ThanksBill@CraftedCow

The same thing to canada would cost 24 bucks, or worse, and take a week, and then when you return it because they sent the wrong buttons, you would get "offered" a plea deal for a federal beef because the guy at the border, thought the fancy plastic was pau. :)

It's a government operation. enough said.

No, actually, it's not. The U.S. postal service is operated independently and receives no financial support whatsoever from the government. However, it is highly regulated by the government, which imposes limits and requirements that no "private" business is subject to.

Funny that you should start this thread Timbuck. I bought one of your ukes 2nd hand from a gentleman in California last week. I live in New Jersey. He shipped it to me USPS 2 day Priority ( haha) mail. I finally recieved it today 1 week after he shipped it. Im going to stick with Fedex or Ups from now on. Never again USPS "Priority" Priority my ass!

Top Bottom